Old Stereo Speakers

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Larmo63, Feb 13, 2020 at 12:56 PM.

1. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

I don't think they are valuable, but I peeked in an old console I'm getting rid of and these speakers are inside. They have huge magnets, I wondered if they were worth anything? I see old speakers on Craigslist for next to nothing.......I had my TV receiver hooked up to these in the past and they sounded wonderful. I wonder if I should keep them and try them in a guitar amp?

Anybody?

LcaR%27PS9GfgtCOELpu+A.jpg

JL_LI, Chunkocaster and Wally like this.
  2. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Keep em. You'll find a use somewhere.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  3. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

These are AlNiCo speakers. Maybe Philips made ? They look like... o_O
    Maybe they would sound good for guitar, on a low power tube guitar amp ? :twisted:
    I would do a test... ;)

-tbln

4. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

1hiReN9QT0ijgRFiZdFATg.jpg 60114917695__F59F42A3-99AD-4F1C-9446-E25F5806EB7E.JPG

Chunkocaster and nojazzhere like this.
  5. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

I posted a few months ago about a 12" Sansui speaker cabinet I have and thought about using to put one of my 12" guitar speakers in. Most of the replies I got were telling me it was a terrible idea and wouldn't work. As it turned out (to my surprise) the 12" woofer that was in the cabinet already (looks very much like the one in your photo) sounds great as a guitar speaker when I connect directly to it and not thru the crossover. You would expect a HiFi woofer to have deep bass and no treble but this particular speaker had very good midrange and treble. I'm sure they won't handle tons of power but I'm using mine with a 5 watt tube amp and it sounds great! Give those a try and see how they sound.

6. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Try it the worse that could happen is the speaker dies

7. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Meister

frequency response may be a problem.

8. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Stereo speakers from the 50's and 60's are a lot different from those from the 70's and later. Older speakers would be more capable of handling the full range dynamics of guitar use if they are still in good shape. IMO

aging_rocker and Nickfl like this.
  9. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

I had these hooked up to an audio receiver that was pretty high wattage and they held up fine.

Surprisingly.

I suppose I'll just yank them, but I know they'll sit around. Grrr.

10. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

What are you doing with the console? The mid century modern style consoles like that are trendy right now and you could probably sell it without much trouble. Is it tube or solid state? If it is tube powered, it probably has all the parts you would need to build 1-2 nice guitar amps.

Zepfan likes this.
  11. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

They were designed for a different frequency range, but if you like heavy over-drive tones they probably would work out great.

I think the biggest problem with old speakers is that they were not really built all that robust to begin with. Actually surprised so many have survived and re-coning costs more than a good modern speaker. I run a few vintage speakers, but I would never go shopping for one these days.

12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

That is a tube hi-if unit, correct? Very cool, imho. I would not part it out until I ascertained that it was beyond repair and/or it was worth nothing as is. That speaker has a magnet comparable to the Jensen P15N, which was a 20-22 watt speaker, iirc. I see a smooth cone. It might make a great speaker for a 5E3??

Zepfan likes this.
  13. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

Its always good to check, but in my experience these things are never worth enough to preclude parting them out. The rule of thumb seems to be that radio collectors only value pre WWII units without turntables and audiophiles only value component stereo equipment and don't have any interest in consoles. The stuff in between is worth very little, with some exceptions where it has potential as furniture like this one. I've seen nice looking MSM units like this with asking prices of several hundred dollars, but the only people who are probably getting that kind of money for them are antique dealers who really know how to find the right customer. I've bought maybe 8 or 10 tube consoles over the last few years (including some cool looking ones like this) and never paid more than $75. If you google what is xxx model console radio worth, you will find lots of posts on radio collector forums harshly disabusing people of the notion that they struck gold when they found grandpas old radio in the attic after he died.

Wally likes this.
  14. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Depends - might be worth a 0.99c auction on eBay. I made $100 on an old stereo console like that. They're quite kitsch and 60s wood furniture in good nick is all the rage. Wally is right about the speakers. They'd probably suit a low power Twin. Back then there weren't stereo speakers or guitar speakers. Just speakers.

Wally and Nickfl like this.
  15. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Those look pretty cool, are they 15"? I like that whole cabinet! Be a great TV stand! Shame to part it out. Be sure to save the grill cloth cane if you do. They are probably full range speakers... I dont see any tweeters.
    When I was a kid we had an old Motorola Mono hi fi. It had a big Jensen P15N in it. That thing sounded superb for the time frame.

Wally likes this.
  16. Wally

Imho, if one had the room for it and it fit the decor, that cabinet would be ripe for holding modern hi-if equipment...speakers and all.
    Or.....it MIGHT have a good all-tube stereo there that might surprise one if restored. Modern digital recordings sound so much better through tubes, ime.

Dacious and Chunkocaster like this.
  17. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Many old hifi speakers were lower rated wattage, some as low as 4 to 10 watts. I learnt this the hard way when playing through my parents stereo in the early 80's and blowing the speakers.

I have been looking for alnico speakers lately and there are lots of reasonably priced old alnico hifi speakers on ebay. Often rated at or below 15 watts though. Seeing as they are also very old that rating might be over estimated.

The old 15watt Magnavox alnico's are tempting for something like a champ etc and might sound glorious until they possibly die.

I have also seen old 8 and 10 inch 60's Jensen's taken from old stereos that appear to be the same model numbers as the guitar speakers they now make but are half the price or less.
    I think in the 60's they were just general purpose 8 or 10" speakers. Not so much marketed as being made specifically for guitar.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 1:23 PM
    Wally likes this.
  18. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I had some old tube powered speaker cab with speaker magnets that looked like that. Cones were ripped and rotted. The voice coils were 3/4 inch so I pulled the magnets, (not sure why) and chucked um.
    If they would've been in working order I would've tried them with an amp.

I should add. I kept the tube amp part.
    It's in my projects I'll never get finished pile.

19. Wally

yeah, I bought an old ‘high fidelity’ Alnico speaker with a torn cone at an estate sale for $1. It is an Altec 600B....an original cone example is worth $500-600. The 600B was the first speaker designed with a metal dust cover....for musical reproduction systems with the aim to increase the high end response.

fwiw, it’s magnet is much the same as this one above....as is the magnet in a 5” Utah Alnico that I got for even less

BobbyZ likes this.
  20. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Worth aside, a guitar amp pretty much cuts off above 7000Hz. The reason for large speakers in old console stereos was to produce enough bass from a low power amp for a living room. The reason for the crossover was that those large speakers didn’t have a flat frequency response. The crossover was there to shift high frequencies to smaller speakers which produce mids and highs well. Try the speaker with a low power guitar amp straight in without the crossover. Your amp won’t be producing what the speaker can’t reproduce. You don’t have much to lose. Try the whole speaker assembly, crossover and all if you have an acoustic with a pickup. Acoustic guitars benefit from the flatter frequency response of two or three way speakers. The stereo amplifier may also make a nice acoustic guitar amp with a suitable preamp.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 3:11 PM
    BobbyZ, Chunkocaster and Wally like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.