Old School Mountainbikes – MTB

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mr_Martin, Sep 15, 2020 at 9:01 AM.

1. spupilup

spupilup TDPRI Member

I had a Breezer Black Lightning I bought new in 1992. It was a magnificent bike that I outfitted with all XTR components. I bought it from a bike shop in Coney Island, Brooklyn. With the customizations that we’re done it set me back well over $2k but man, that bike was awesome. I loved Breezers back then, they just “fit” me.

Mr_Martin likes this.
  2. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Ha. I have a Surly Pugsley, the original fat tire bike. It’s a two wheel Jeep. Eats up washed out, rocky logging trails.

Does it look ridiculous? No, it looks like a mans bike. Once you go fat, the rest of the biking world looks,.. wimpy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 10:51 AM
    tery, gridlock and imwjl like this.
  3. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

I have been looking for a used trail bike, full-sus or ht, since March. I still haven't bought one. That means that I still ride this, a fully rigid 1996 CyclePro Ambush that holds up well. Much better than my wrists that has taken a beating this summer. Apparently they can't take rock gardens and fast riding on rooty trails any more.

I also want a somewhat more upright riding position. Now, with riser bar and riser stem, the handles are still almost 5" lower than the saddle.

20200414_175651.jpg

Nightclub Dwight and tery like this.
  4. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I also had a 2000 Cannondale f2000 that I recently sold. I still have a Cannondale M400 but can't find a pic of it.

[​IMG]

Still have this TREK ZX6500 that my wife rides. I raced one of these frames in the late 90s on the military Fat Tire circuit in Germany.

[​IMG]

tery, SacDAve, Jamie_h and 1 other person like this.
  5. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I do not have a photo of my old Gary Fisher Tassajara (which I overhauled and gave to my grandson when I went FS29)...but I do have a photo of my Schwinn Crosscut that has served as an all-purpose bike--trail, sidewalk and road. I've had it since ~1990, commuted on it in Japan and San Diego, and carried it on the ship with me for several deployments. In iteration two, as a "road bike", I rode it on the 3 State 3 Mountain 100k from Chattanooga. Now in its third iteration (back to more of a "ride with the grandkids"):

image1.jpeg

tery likes this.
  6. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

That was it for most available parts and then more parts became available. The catalogs those guys had made it easier for some to get the brakes you had to bend and the motorcycle levers. Somewhere in that 1979 time frame to 1980 I got the first "Mountain Bikes" catalog and some better parts were available in distribution.

I had one (original SumpJumper) and today of course know I should not have traded it for a glued AL Trek, but maybe you've seen my Fat Chances and vintage Schwinn.

For all I know about what that gang in CA did, I also tend to call total bs on the people who claim they invented MTBs. It was all over. What I believe occurred was enough group size from the bay area to get momentum and a market for products.

In fly over country, we modified old bikes for trails long before commercial products were there. So did some of our parents' generation. We were seeking same old Schwinns and also had some wrong ideas such as rugged tires on steel 3 speeds that were slack. My Elgin from before MTBs was worth a try for its springer fork, the 3 spring saddle was a challenge, and it had grease zerks in bottom bracket and headset decades before WTB had the idea. When they came out with grease guard I was certain someone in NORCAL probably came across that same old bike like my posse did.

My mother's cousin in Bellingham, WA who wrote a book on wheel design and spokes was a maker and mod person well before the NORCAL people. He made his own more rugged touring bike with gear range no one else had. That would have been 1960s.

Still, I give most credit to what occurred in your movie. As said, the group size in bay area surely did a lot to gain momentum. They had enough people involved and interested that it created a market. It seemed like Crested Butte and bay area had hands full and a few groups of them when other places had maybe a hand full of early off road riders.

I recall when probably the Fisher or some bay area catalog had all of Magura levers, snake belly tires, Mafac brakes, Ritchey bars and IIRC Arya rims in a same place while the Yellow Jersey's Ariel Trading Company had some and also the Swiss Army bicycles.

Uptick in riding and shortage of bikes has a lot of old bikes out these days. Some call new bikes cheating. Last night I thought maybe not. They might make some stuff easier but they also enable a whole other realm.

7. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

When I pull into the lot of my local trail I feel like a dinosaur with my old bikes, but they still around the trail just fine and at 58 my hard riding days are far far behind me. I don't see any newer bikes in my future unless a really stupid cheap deal comes up.

8. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Evolution.

I used to think anything not a Typhoon or similar looked ridiculous.
    I used to think anything not a Sting Ray or similar looked ridiculous.
    I used to think anything not a European racer or similar looked ridiculous.
    I used to think anything not a diamond shape frame or similar looked ridiculous.
    I used to think anything not a Campy looked ridiculous.
    I used to think anything not steel or similar looked ridiculous.
    I used to think anything not a 26r or similar looked ridiculous.
    I used to think anything not a 29r or similar looked ridiculous.

My modern plastic frame, wide bars, slack and mullet fork setup might look ridiculous but anything more fun is illegal in most places - I accept that. My fattie is really a winter and utility bike but I accept it.

Fatties have been a total surprise. I thought no way. After getting studded even bigger than @stephent2 Pugsley tires it totally changed winter. When skiing is poor biking is great. The real fattie problem is same as riding old school bikes - they can't flow and fly. Except for perfect winter grooming they suck if you don't really know what fun is out there and how achievable it is.

On looking ridiculous, the unwritten rules about spandex are still an issue for me and I do my part. My unofficial MTB instructions are ask if your wardrobe will work for most grocery stores or entering most bars.

:)

JKPickin and stephent2 like this.
  9. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Fatties do indeed fly and float, just not on pavement. And fun!

the Pugsley is an off road extreme touring bike. Like they say, “any bike will get you there, a Pugsley will get you back”.

JKPickin likes this.
  10. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Found one for you...who doesn't love some ape-hangers?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 3:13 PM
    imwjl likes this.
  11. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

I've forgotten the exact year, I think it's an '88? Rockhopper Comp back from the days I worked in a bike shop. The wheels were taken off of it for some reason so it's got fancier ones on it now.

[​IMG]

Before this I had another brand... Fuji maybe? Riding it out in Colorado I decided it was too big. So I bought this one with a smaller frame than I'd normally get. Then I never rode off road again. It's a bit too small for just bombing around so I've put a taller stem and bars on it, but I'd like to get something that fits better, someday... In the meantime I bought a "Schwinn" cruiser just to se how crappy the really cheap bikes are these days, and after rebuilding it, it's surprisingly mostly OK! Works great for what I wanted. I looked at new mountain bikes (online) last year and strangely enough decided I'd like to check out a new Rockhopper Comp...

tery likes this.
  12. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My 2002 Gary Fisher Sugar 4+ and my Wife’s ‘90’s (?) Fuji Nevada.

1CECCBFB-9D69-4B32-8599-E1173D9B096D.jpeg
    BA821E1A-9F11-4E5C-BB55-B997A673EDDE.jpeg

tery likes this.
  13. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

:lol::lol:

14. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Holic

A 1991 Bridgestone MB2 that I kept as a beater bike for a long time. Finally gave it away for free on the street. Was gone in about 5 min! Hope someone enjoys it, I put a lot of miles on this bike in college!

IMG_0841.jpeg

Nightclub Dwight and tery like this.
  15. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Holic

My old titanium race bike. Won a state championship on it. Super light.

Still have it and think it is better than all the new carbon stuff. Except I do like disc brakes.
    wheeler1_0005.jpg
    Wheeler_0007.jpg

16. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

This one at least has a sus fork, albeit a little skinny on the feet.

DSC_0507_crop.jpg

tery and Mr_Martin like this.
  17. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Bikes...:lol:... I don't think I've ever bought a bicycle.... I got a new dragstar when I was in highschool as a birthday pressy....

living down the beach there just seemed to be a few old bikes around the house to do surf checks or go to the shops.... out here on the dirt roads I never bothered getting a bike...

just never needed one....:rolleyes::D

18. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

You need two things: a Bike and a Telecaster

:)

-

imwjl and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  19. JKPickin

JKPickin Tele-Meister

Not at all ridiculous to me :)

DED89A43-732E-41D8-90DF-B4802FCBCAB1.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.