Old School Mountainbikes – MTB

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mr_Martin, Sep 15, 2020 at 9:01 AM.

1. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Nope. 1990 Stumpjumper would not be the first production mountain bike ever. Not even close. :lol:

My dad bought me a bianchi in the very early 80s. Just like this with smaller frame. Production ATB mikes were around before that.

[​IMG]

Ivorytooth and tery like this.
  2. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

I didn't mean to imply that my 1990 was one of the first; I believe the Stumpjumper was created way back in the early 80s. I just meant to say I have an older Stumpy.

Whatizitman likes this.
  3. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I do some seriously Specialized Streetstomping on my late '80s Specialized Streetstomper. (and some light trailstomping, too)

upload_2020-9-15_8-31-34.png

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I’ve posted this before, but it really does explain it all…

5. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

apart from the nostalgia i can t see what there is to love.. ii ve had more than my share of bikes and i got rid of all of them basically... the only old school bike i have is an old bianchi cuss single speed... i appreciate looking at the old bikes but i m sure glad i don t ride one anymore...

qr wheels that scrub crappy rim brakes everytime you corner - insane flex, handlebars that are so narrow there is no leverage,, geometry that is more akin to a human mousetrap, tires that pinch flat when you look at them the wrong way, brakes that don t stop.... etc etc etc

i ll take my 2019 santa cruz custom bronson thanks very much...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020 at 10:56 AM
    Mad Kiwi likes this.
  6. JPA1

JPA1 NEW MEMBER!

I love my 1995 Univega. It just feels better and can cut through any single track I’ve taken it through.

Attached Files:

Ivorytooth, tery and Rocky058 like this.
  7. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Meister

My mountain bike days are over!

[​IMG]

Whatizitman and JL_LI like this.
  8. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I have three generations of mountain bikes on my back porch: a 1987 Ritchey TimberWolf, hand-welded by hippies in California; a Y2K S-Works hardtail, light, fast and supremely uncomfortable; and a three-year-old Stumpjumper 29er, full suspension, disk brakes, dropper post, thoroughly modern and quite plush. I am very slow on the uphill these days but still having a blast on the way back down. The Ritchey is a town bike lately but a lot of fun was had on that thing.

Nightclub Dwight and Ivorytooth like this.
  9. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=99758

The full story of my 1988 Saracen Trekker up to 10 years ago. Since then it's gone back into storage - off-road is too hard on my derelict knees and I have other bikes for on road rides.

On carbon fibre for bicycle frame and fork parts:
    the only failure I've ever had in nearly 60 years was cracking around the drop outs on a pair of road bike carbon front forks. I leave carbon fibre to the pros who can treat a carbon framed bike as disposable. YMMV of course.

Nightclub Dwight and Ivorytooth like this.
  10. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

15 years ago i wouldn t touch carbon... now it s gold.... still wouldn t touch carbon cheapo chinese unbranded stuff

Ivorytooth likes this.
  11. Ivorytooth

Ivorytooth Tele-Meister

I bought this '91 Rockhopper Comp new in '91 as I got really into mountain biking once I got out of the service. It has the same frame as the next model up, the Stumpjumper. The frame changed on the next Stumpjumper after that with the lighter tubing.

After a few weeks running it full rigid, I made some changes with the RockShox Mag 21, zero rise Control Tech stem, not sure on the length of stem. It also got an Answer Taperlight 2 bar with Onza bar ends. I took the yucky Deore cantilever brakes with LX ones. I got non-quick release titanium skewers and a Avocet titanium rail seat.

I am mainly a cross country rider, with an emphasis on going up. :) Lots of single track here in Idaho close by me, so rode every day for years. Life stuff happened and I slacked on riding for many years.

About a month ago after about 20 years off a bike, I got back into it. I broke one of the DX rapid fire shifters. Of course there were not many options for replacing it that I was happy with as the mountain bike technology passed me by. I decided to do a complete rebuild of Shimano components for the frame.

I went with XT 780 brakes, levers, shifters. XT 780 low clamp FD, XT 786 long cage RD, M6000 crankset, new bottom bracket for it. I got a 11-36t rear cassette. I am having wheels built with XT M8000 hubs and when they get here, I will be able to finish my build. It will have a 3x10 drivetrain. It used to be 3x7.

I would love to have disc brakes, but frame doesn't have mounts and I didn't want to mess with trying to find clamp mounts that would work. For me, moving from the LX cantilevers to XT V brakes will be a nice step up.

I tried the newer geometry bikes, but I hated how they were set up. I was also a roadie and learned to ride on these older style MTBs. I had a tri bike for triathalons, but don't ride on the road anymore with the invention of the smartphone. :) I sold it as I seen how bad drivers of cars got with the cell phone. No way I ride on the road anymore. Don't get me started on cellphones. :) Never owned one.

I like hardtails and XC type of riding. I am not much on the fast DH descents with big air. I like going down hill on technical single track, so I had no desire to learn how to ride one of these newer bikes at my age. Way too spendy too.

Here is the bike waiting for wheels so I can finish my rebuild. I love how this bike drives on singletrack. I am stoked to get it done and get riding. I got all this stuff brand new with huge discounts. Took some sleuthing on the interwebs to find it all.

IMGP0196.JPG

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020 at 11:18 AM
    Nightclub Dwight and donrichfan like this.
  12. Whatizitman

Ahhh gotcha.

Chuckster likes this.
  13. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Holic

I was riding my Stumpjumper March 22nd,2013. I saw a pothole and root at the last moment.

Changed my life forever.

From ICU, to rehab, Center for Neural Skills. Didn’t work for seven months. Didn’t play guitar for a year. This year I took the crashbike out of the garage, put onnew handle Bars, Brooks seat, new tires and tubes. Now it’s a slow ride cruiser on flat ground.

Nightclub Dwight and Chuckster like this.
  14. Whatizitman

Yeah. But did the tree get up again, and live to tell the tale? I don't think so. ;)

15. Whatizitman

I debated for a long time whether to try to build up my old rockhopper, or just buy new. Apart from any fun in piecing parts together and building, in the end I figured it just wasn't worth it financially. New bikes are just so far different, and parts ain't cheap. I don't know how much you paid for all your upgrades and labor. But I got a very decent new bike for $1100.

I love singletrack downhill, too. I am missing a little of the quick maneuverability of the old aluminum frame and 26", though. I have to be more mindful of some movements that used to feel like a second nature dance. But it's night and day in every other way. Couldn't be happier.

Ivorytooth likes this.
  16. Whatizitman

spupilup likes this.
  17. Mr.Ike

Mr.Ike Tele-Meister

My two favorites. East coast and West coast B14A003B-59C0-4894-A2BF-A250B8BEB97B.jpeg F04C5CDE-10C3-483E-9B8A-E3E0DA8D43DB.jpeg

18. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

My Yo was blue and the Monster posted here had same American stem with narrow ti flat bars. We kept the Monster over the Yo because the Yo also had an early suspension fork without parts available in a reasonable manner.

My progression after making off road bikes from parts, was the first original StumpJumper in my city not sold to to a shop employee, early Trek, then Fat Chances where I had an interest in the bike shop and knew Chris and his wife.

All this brings back nice memories but it's a perfect fall day, one of my digger posse and I did some dirt work Sunday, and today's weather should be making it hero dirt after recent rain. All hopes are my day will end up with 2-3 hours on the modern trail bike.

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  19. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Plus, unless you have an x-ray machine handy, do not buy carbon used. Unless the frame warranty transfers to you as well. Which none of them do – I think?

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  20. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

I used to ride one of these. This one's not mine, but mine was just like it. It was a great bike. It had the Schwinn Homegrown geometry which was fantastic.

fSchwinn_Moab__250_Santa_Margarita_598d70a06b656.jpg

I bought a Niner Air 9 about 5 years ago and never looked back. The Moab sat for a long time so I ended up giving it to my brother.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.