Old School Mountainbikes – MTB

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mr_Martin, Sep 15, 2020 at 9:01 AM.

1. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

Anyone here likes oldschool mountainbikes?

Here's my 1995 TREK 950, OX Comp II steel frame, CroMoly, full rigid:

TREK950.jpg

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020 at 9:47 AM
  2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

My trusty old Rockhopper, very recently retired. Bought it new in ‘95 or so. I made it single speed many years ago. I’m kinda missing the light weight and 26” tires. But not too much :D
    370A5AB6-58BD-4E71-95C1-181DE32AED48.jpeg

3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

What are those weird bikes now with car tires on them.?
    New mountain bikes.?

4. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My Bontrager this was before Trek bought them. I bought the frame then built the bike myself, This year I replaced the shifters, rebuilt the shocks, new tires & tubes. The bike has seen a lot of miles and managed to put me Disability for about two weeks
    IMG_6342 copy.jpg

5. Whatizitman

Probably. Things have.... changed over the years, to say the least. :eek:

6. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like old school mountain bikes especially Chro-mo... Steel is real! However the first thing that would have to go would be those old rim based V brakes. Nothing but disc brakes for me at this point.

7. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Fatbikes. I think they look ridiculous. I would only use in snow if I had one.

Mike Eskimo and uriah1 like this.
  8. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have one of these. 1996 Mongoose IBOC Comp SX.

[​IMG]

This is not my bike, but I don't have any photos of mine handy.

9. Whatizitman

I prefer the diode rectified lack of sag with aluminum. :D But I wholeheartedly agree about disc brakes. There is just no comparison. :cool:

10. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

Brakes are for losers :D:D:D

That Cal Webway and String Tree like this.
  11. Whatizitman

Brakes are for guys who want to stay both safe and married. :cool:

tery and Mr_Martin like this.
  12. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

And don't forget the helmet

bikehelmet.jpg

13. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted

I have a 99 Kona Muni-Mula. Not knowing that frame sizes exist back in '99 when I bought it, it's a size too big. I have put that bike through hell and it just keeps going. I recently installed a wide bar, short stem, and replaced the front v-brake. I'll see if i can upload a photo later today.

Ivorytooth likes this.
  14. Slap Axe

Slap Axe Tele-Meister

A word to the wise regarding old mountain bikes, especially the REALLY old ones I’m seeing in this thread. Inspect the welds carefully!

I rode a 2005 Specialized Enduro, that I bought new, for 12 years. A couple of summers ago I caught a little air off a jump on one of my favorite trails and when I landed I heard a loud “TINK!”. Pulled over to check and one of the chainstay welds had snapped clean. It was dangling down from the pivot like a kickstand. I was lucky it didn’t result in a bad crash.

The moral of the story is that these things don’t have an indefinite lifespan, especially mountain bikes because they take a beating. My new bike has a carbon fiber rear triangle so there’s no little welds to break back there when I go full ham off of jumps.:D

15. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I have a 2001 GT Palomar its a nice recreation bike .

[​IMG]

Ivorytooth, Mr_Martin and Mike Eskimo like this.
  16. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

I have an early Stumpjumper... 1990-91. I've butchered it over the years with a shock fork, shock seat, etc. It has the groovy black rims. Apparently there's a model similar in the Smithsonian as "the first production mountain bike ever" (not sure if that's true... guy in the bike shop told me that).

I also have one of the first Trek full-sus Y-Frames.

Will post a couple of pics when I finish work.

Ivorytooth likes this.
  17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Fat tire bikes. I rode a $350 one and went “what? “

I rode a $3000 one and I said “holy crap! I really want one of these !” But I’m not gonna spend the money…

It would have a limited use for me.
    Yes. The reason I was able to afford a brand new full carbon bike was because Trek actually honored the frame warranty with my three-year-old aluminum bike and one of the welds failed. Aluminum. So is that TIG or MIG ? Anyways it was where the seat stay met the seat tube.

But according to the Trek mechanics that was a flawed design.

Mixed frame? Hopefully they figured out how to join carbon and aluminum better than they used to…

18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh! I had an early 90s ParkPre.

A little company out of Colorado or Idaho someplace. Can’t find a pic of mine now but all the ones I’m looking at, just like most of the ones in this thread, are so big and upright.

It was the pre frame geometry paradigm shift - To smaller/slantier, easier to throw around FrameS.

19. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Old school? Who remembers Chris Chance and Fat City? We still have 2 of 4 custom Fat Chances.

Here's the made in MA sticker and my custom compact drivetrain before anyone made them officially. That's a Bullseye crank, one TA ring, custom small rings, and 7 speed Dura-Ace freewheel to achieve what the whole industry made a few years later.

For more old school, notice those Scott brakes. I had to take the old school OG American Bicycle Manufacturing stem and narrow titanium bars off just for reasonable comfort.

This bike is a custom Monster. It's a Yo Eddy! style but 10th anniversary fork on the more compliant Monster frame. A friend owns what was my Yo Eddy! from same era. A collector bought my Shock-A-Billy that had the Campy off-road group.

Reality is while we love the bike, we only ride modern stuff on real trails. @uriah1 is probably asking about fat bikes. For me that's a winter thing but I might take off the biggest class studded tires for 4 inch class as a trail work aid. I'm rebuilding some berms and rollers when trails are soft and the fattie on ski trail would speed up 4 miles of hiking to do it.

Fat Chances and Bontragers get credit for big advances but the problem with most old school bikes is they still followed the stupidity of too many products influenced by racers when most bike riding isn't racing. I have a steel Honzo hard tail and a modern trail bike. If you know how to ride, the old bikes are just rough, spindly, craptacular for comfort/handling, slow, not good for flight or stopping bikes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

My '87 Maruishi MT-15. Got it new in college. Still rolling me around with the original Shimano index shifters, contoured rubber grips and Oval-Tech crank.

DSC04649.JPG
    DSC04650.JPG

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020 at 10:31 AM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.