Old School Bodybuilding

rand z

Friend of Leo's
I agree, OP, about bodybuilding, when done in a healthy manner.

Don't forget your cardio!

I've been lifting free weights for over 40 years.

I've never tried to bulk up and be massive... just firm

I lift lighter weights to stay in shape.

My weak point has been the cardio stuff.

I've always ridden bicycle to try and strengthen my heart.

(I have bad knees, inherited from my father and jogging was out of the equation.)

Last year, after performing at a winery owned by 4 doctors, I had a conversation with one of the Doc's.

We talked about wine, grape growing, owning a winery, being a Dr.; and the current state of ****d.

And, we talked lastly... about music.

He said that, as a solo singer, I must be in pretty good cardiovascular shape.

He said singing (a lot) was an excellent way to strengthen your heart.

I had never really thought about it?

But, the Voice (Sinatra) was a heavy smoker and drinker and lived to the age of 83.

Could it have been the balance between the abuse... versus the healthy benefits of singing?

I'll try and let ya know.

imo.

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I am temporarily somewhat of a bodybuilder atm. I've cycled into it after doing about a year of strength/power work. I needed a break from lifting the Heaviest Possible Weights...

Boy, what's shocking to me is how hard it is to hit the protein quota: 175 grams of protein is like 2 lbs of chicken--every day... :oops:

lee-priest-1.jpg

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's
1668473469362.png

Sergio Oliva defeats Arnold Schwarzenegger in the 1969 Mr. Olympia, but Arnold fights back and beats Sergio the following year. Arnold won six consecutive Mr. Olympias (1970-1975) and came back for a seventh in 1981.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
"If longevity is the goal, cardio 3-4x per week with some core strength training and a clean diet is probably more beneficial than "bodybuilding" or weight training as the primary mode of exercise. "

I agree that a mix of disciplines is the way to go. The back squat and deadlift are wonderful exercises for maintaining full body strength, so I get to the gym at least once a week to do squats. When I do go to the gym I typically focus on just a few exercises that maintain full body fitness and strength-- back squat, bench (or pushups), lat pull-downs, military press, and deadlifts.

If you're like me you probably get a lot of junk emails and FB posts about how there are a lot of body weight exercises that can be better than the weight room and easier on the joints. I really can't argue with that, but then again I am still unable to do a pistol (one-legged squat), so back squats work better for me. But I can pretty much do resistance exercises for every other part of my body without going to a gym.

As long as you use correct form and don't load on too much weight I think lifting weights is actually good for your musculo-skeletal system, too. People think doing squats hurts your knees, but I think if you do them right it maintains your knees-- use it or lose it, as they say. But I would say only about 20% of people I see in the gym are using correct form.

Competitive power lifters and bodybuilders are definitely prone to joint injuries. Going that hard is really hard on the body. For longevity and health, going easier gets all the benefits without any of the downsides.

People overdo it on cardio, too. I know some ultra-marathoners, and while they are as skinny as greyhounds, they are aging rapidly before my eyes. You pay a price for running for 100 or 200 miles.
Well said and I agree with you.

A lot of bodybuilders require a CPAP at night, sleep 14 hours per day, and eat an incredible amount of food...leaving little room for anything else in your life. I hired a bodybuilder and a power lifter in the past (one holds a world record) and neither one of them would lift anything on the job that might interfere with their gym workouts later. That was their priority, nothing was going to get in the way. One ended up in jail after becoming addicted to pain killers to the point that he broke into a pharmacy.

Cardio junkies can also take it to the extreme. Back when I was active, I would log 55 miles per week, which isn't anything like the 100 miles the front runners would do, but on a 205 lb frame, it was a lot of abuse. I looked really fit, but my joints were getting destroyed and I tended to get bronchitis a lot from the strain.

Balance is the key to best health. It is very easy to look healthy while being the exact opposite inside. These days, I am fortunate enough to have a physically demanding job so I don't find much need to hit the gym afterwards. After brisk walking 12 miles per day and tossing around 35-40 lb boxes all day long, I feel like I am good. I am not as strong as I used to be, but I have calves that would make any bodybuilder jealous.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Well said and I agree with you.

A lot of bodybuilders require a CPAP at night, sleep 14 hours per day, and eat an incredible amount of food...leaving little room for anything else in your life. I hired a bodybuilder and a power lifter in the past (one holds a world record) and neither one of them would lift anything on the job that might interfere with their gym workouts later. That was their priority, nothing was going to get in the way. One ended up in jail after becoming addicted to pain killers to the point that he broke into a pharmacy.

Cardio junkies can also take it to the extreme. Back when I was active, I would log 55 miles per week, which isn't anything like the 100 miles the front runners would do, but on a 205 lb frame, it was a lot of abuse. I looked really fit, but my joints were getting destroyed and I tended to get bronchitis a lot from the strain.

Balance is the key to best health. It is very easy to look healthy while being the exact opposite inside. These days, I am fortunate enough to have a physically demanding job so I don't find much need to hit the gym afterwards. After brisk walking 12 miles per day and tossing around 35-40 lb boxes all day long, I feel like I am good. I am not as strong as I used to be, but I have calves that would make any bodybuilder jealous.
I used to play golf with three weightlifters occasionally. At the time, my wife could outdrive them all, and play golf better than any of them. They used to threaten to kill me because I could without exaggeration sometimes outdrive anyone in their group by a hundred yards. It was like playing with girls. I used to tell 'em you'd have to have a better swing than you do to knock me in the head! ;)

Gibson

Friend of Leo's
I can't help but think that there's a Venn diagram type crossover between this thread, and all those other threads about how much guitars weigh ...

staxman

Tele-Afflicted
Whilst in the navy, I used to date somewhat of a fat chick and she always let me off the elevator first.