Old School Bodybuilding

Stanford Guitar

Friend of Leo's
The period from the 1940's through the 1980's, I love it. The attitude, the work ethic, everything about it. Before it became the modern day freak show.

I still contend that non-competitive recreational bodybuilding is one of the best things for longevity and quality of life.

Last edited:

schoolie

Tele-Afflicted
can't believe I found it

Stanford Guitar

Friend of Leo's
can't believe I found it
That should be entitled ‘chip on the shoulder etiquette!’

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
can't believe I found it
That's it!!!!

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
can't believe I found it
there's a blast from the past! :lol: Some people in that thread who haven't been around for quite a while...good ol castpolymer...

I don't qualify as any kind of a body builder, but I have lifted on and off since college, and I've been consistent especially since 2018: according to my training app, I have lifted a grand total of 2,195,187kg (dam near 5 million pounds) since that year, not counting warm-up sets. During long stretches of the Recent and Ongoing Great Whatsit, lifting was the only thing I continued to make steady effort and progress in. Even through periods of anxiety and depression, I knew I could at least DO THAT. I'm pretty sure I am stronger now than I was twenty years ago, at least in squats, deadlift, bench and press.

Stanford Guitar

Friend of Leo's
there's a blast from the past! :lol: Some people in that thread who haven't been around for quite a while...good ol castpolymer...

I don't qualify as any kind of a body builder, but I have lifted on and off since college, and I've been consistent especially since 2018: according to my training app, I have lifted a grand total of 2,195,187kg (dam near 5 million pounds) since that year, not counting warm-up sets. During long stretches of the Recent and Ongoing Great Whatsit, lifting was the only thing I continued to make steady effort and progress in. Even through periods of anxiety and depression, I knew I could at least DO THAT. I'm pretty sure I am stronger now than I was twenty years ago, at least in squats, deadlift, bench and press.
When I say bodybuilding, I mean just old school weightlifting in general. Bench, deadlift, squat etc.

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
My drummer is an old school body builder. He's in great shape. But when he was going for the Mr. Pittsburgh title he slipped into the excesses that have gotten a whole load of great baseball players in trouble. He's back to living clean these days, and I think he looks better for it.

Cadillac_Mike

Tele-Holic
About 7 or 8 years ago I was at The Mall of America and Arnold was doing a book signing there which I didn't know. I just non-chalent walked into the western store and he was right there with like half the security guards in the mall. I'm only 5' 10" and he wasn't much taller than me TBH, a lot of those guys lie about their height. I saw him looking at cowboy boots in an aisle and I still kinda wish I said something to him cause he's like a god to me but I honestly didn't want to bother him especially after doing a book signing and such. It was crazy being that close to The Terminator though...

Cadillac_Mike

Tele-Holic
Being accountable to someone is the key to success.

The part about the bread with the burger patty is so true. It's ironic how fat doesn't actually make you fat but the carbs from the white bread does. A lot of people don't realize that's how it works. The key to getting a body like him I think is high protein but low carbs.