Old rosewood furniture

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Retserrof, May 16, 2021.

1. Retserrof

Retserrof TDPRI Member

Hello!

I have an opportunity to purchase a table that's said to be their grandparents purchased second hand 70 years ago.

What are the tell-tale signs of veneer vs solid? Do these photos give anything away?

Id normally suggest it's veneered top and lower quality wood elsewhere (dark sections such as legs and underside look painted?) And cracks on the table edges are going in both directions suggesting the edges are separate pieces hiding veneer?

However there is a crack starting at one end and what looks like it continues through the top.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you!
    Josh
    20210516_192106.png 20210516_192147.png 20210516_192648.png 20210516_192919.png 20210516_192803.png 20210516_192919.png 20210516_192859.png 20210516_192448.png 20210516_192624.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    crazydave911 likes this.
  2. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Looks like veneer top, covering across glued-up panels.
    That 'split' is a pair of boards separating at their glue line and going under the veneer. If you tap with your finger or drag your finger lightly over that area you will often get a sounds like wall paper lifting.

Even if it were all solid exotic lumber, it would be better to keep it as furniture than trying to chop it up into guitar parts. Look at the amount of carving on the legs and other parts.

Wood does not give you magic tone. Pickups plus pots 'n caps can push the tone around more than anything else you can do on a guitar. Pots have a factory 20% tolerance range themselves. I've ordered half a dozen and had 90% of the whole tolerance range within that small group that I could choose which end of the spec to use in a guitar to make it bright/dark. And then you can swap to another nominal target 250kohm/500/1Meg...

crazydave911, drlucky and Telekarster like this.
  3. Retserrof

Retserrof TDPRI Member

The long crack in image 2,3, 4 is not along the join - it doesn't go straight and is more at around a 15 degree angle to the joins. Sorry for giving only half the story.

My question doesn't involve whether the wood affects sound or not so I'm not going there. In fact, I'm mostly an acoustic builder but this is just a general identify question rather than guitar one.

Thank you for your reply! :)

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

It's most likely veneer, but who cares! That table is simply gorgeous! Wow... What a beautiful table. It must've been a very expensive piece of furniture back in the day. I wouldn't touch a thing on it, either. Get some quality furniture wax, rub some on, and watch that thing clean right up. That table deserves to be protected, admired, and revered. A product my wife brought home for me to try on some antique furniture I was working on is here:

https://www.howardproducts.com/product/feed-n-wax-wood-polish-and-conditioner/

I really like it. It goes on easy and really brings the old woods back to life. Don't know if you can get it or not over in Aussie land, but something like it is what I'd look for. Hope this helps!

EDIT: Please post a pic of the entire thing. I really want to see that baby! Thanks!

miguelalmeida likes this.
  5. Telekarster

Wait a minute... I didn't see where the OP was considering on doing this... did I miss something? Man I sure hope not because that table is too beautiful to chop up. I can't think of any guitar I would sacrifice that wonderful piece of furniture to build on.

crazydave911 and Retserrof like this.
  6. Retserrof

Retserrof TDPRI Member

Right on! This would be a 'save from destruction' buy but my question and the answers to help identify veneer might help when it comes to some unsavable furniture.

crazydave911 and Telekarster like this.
  7. Telekarster

Whew! Ya'll had me worried there for a bit! I was about to say - Shoot me a quote to ship it to the states... I'll take it! LOL!!! ;) Good for you mate. Yeah... most furniture is going to be veneer, antique or not, IMO. There are some exceptions but mostly that's what it's going to be. 20 years ago I came across an antique desk at a 2nd hand shop for next to nothing. To my shock, it was actually made of solid mahogany through and through! Very rare to see this. My wife uses it as her office desk today and, just like your table, there's simply no way I could ever break it up into lumber... and it would certainly be capable of making at least 4-5 Tele bodies out of... but no way would I ever do that.

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. Retserrof

Retserrof TDPRI Member

What a score getting solid mahogany! It's probably my favourite timber and I would love to have an office desk like that!

9. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Table is nice but it doesn't look like rosewood to me

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. Retserrof

Retserrof TDPRI Member

Doesn't look solid or doesn't look look it at all? At the very minimum the top is rosewood veneer, that's pretty undeniable but the rest might not be? Got any tips veneer vs solid based on the pictures?

11. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Doesn't look like rosewwod at all, Not the veneer nor the table nor nothing.

I have made guitars of Rosewood, with a BIG slab of rosewood, from classical and acoustic guitars and TO ME, it is not rosewood, sorry

crazydave911 likes this.
  12. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

The top of the table looks like it might be Brazilian rosewood, the inking suggests it. It looks to be veneer. They have been using veneer for 100's of years, the table would be more stable built up rather than using solid pieces of wood. About the only people that made solid lumber furniture would be home builders. I doubt this is solid.

Telekarster and crazydave911 like this.
  13. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

Veneer top, other wood (not rosewood) sides and legs. I am going to go out on a limb and say the top is maple veneer that has been stained.

14. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Home builders or the Amish
    More likely birch stained to whatever. There were stain guys working for Regal, Harmony, Stella et al that were absolute artists at staining birch to look like rosewood, mahogany whatever. Those guys came from somewhere lol

Telekarster likes this.
  15. Telekarster

It sure looks like some kind of rosewood to me, but maybe you guys are right. Still, it's a beautiful piece and I'm very glad it's not ending up on the chopsaw! ;)

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.