Thought I'd post here too since it may be of some interest. I did not build the neck, just the body and this was my first guitar body. Started with some old growth pine 2x4's I salvaged from a 1920's house that was torn down. according to my sister, who was a working forester for many years, the pine is 200+ years old. B/c of the source, i took off only the thickness I needed to make it to level out the seams and the top, mostly with a hand belt sander. Thank goodness, I didn't use my original plan of having it planed, b/c the years of exposure the top had turned out beautiful contrasted with where I cut for the ccontours and edges, and was very complimentary to the neck tint. I didn't use a round off router bit for the edges, all by palm or block sander. Used a second hand spindle sander from CLIST for $60 for the body and arm cuts, with a Stanley 2-handed rasp. Body was roughed out with a $90 9" band saw off CLIST also. Used a benchtop drill press for neck screw holes in the body and hand drillfor the neck itself. I will say I got very lucky in a lot of areas. For starters, the budget neck I got off Reverb needed no work outside of fret polishing. Bone nut was cut to proper depth but I need to smooth out the slots a little bit still. I got dangerously close to not leaving enough wood around one of the bolt holes in the neck pocket. Had this been a fine finish, it would looked awful. ...And the Gretschbuckers sound great in a pine tele with a topload, very bright like a Shawbucker.