Old/New Guitar Day: Super modded Firefly ES-335

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Jack Clayton, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

For a long time now, I've wanted an ES-335. Who doesn't? Sadly, I'm a poor milennial, so I spent this year searching for acceptable alternatives. I eventually decided it would be worth it to get a low cost Chinese knockoff, and upgrade it to studio quality as best I could. It was about this time I heard about the Firefly guitars that have been selling on Amazon for $140. I figured at that price, it'd have to suck pretty bad to be a rip-off.

I am happy to report that, while literally all the components in the Firefly are the low grade crap you expect on $140 guitar, the body, neck and fretboard are as good as any Epiphone or Artcore ive ever picked up. I don't know how they do it for the money.

Anyway, here's my completed project.

Duncan Antiquity Humbuckers
    RS Guitarworks Vintage wiring harness
    Gotoh Tuneomatic bridge
    Grover locking tuners

All told, it wasn't a cheap project, but she plays better than anything I could've gotten off the shelf for the price.

Attached Files:

richiek65, TigerG, nojazzhere and 7 others like this.
  2. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Holic

Good for you young man. You made yourself a unique piece that you can be very proud of. It makes us old guys smile when we hear of a younger crowd doing what we have done for years. Enjoy that thing!

Straydogger and Hiker like this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!
    Love the fingerboard inlays, too!

4. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

I did the same thing, almost.
    I bought an SX about 6 years ago, like yours the body, neck, fretboard were very good, the electronics and hardware were low grade. So I replaced every piece of it including the pick guard and the pick guard support bracket
    ( Gibson style).
    It’s black with ivory and black 7 ply binding everywhere except the neck including the headstock.
    I totally reworked the frets, it plays like a dream.
    I bought used Epi Burst Bucker pickups, it sounds plenty good enough for me.
    I got several hundred bucks into it, no where near the cost of a Gibson.

5. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

Yep. The disadvantage is that you'll never make your money back on a sale or a trade. All told, including the guitar, I've thrown about $800 into this guitar. If I threw it up on CL now, I'd be lucky to get half that.

But if you're confident you can build something you'll play for years and be happy with, it's worth it.

boredguy6060 likes this.
  6. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

I agree, but I seldom if ever sell one of my guitars that it’s not that big a deal. But, you’re right it’s not a money making proposition.

Jack Clayton likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.