Old Man Making a Statement. New 4 X 12" Custom Cab Purchase!

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
Everything arrived today. It all arrived in perfect condition. Even the shipping boxes were in great shape. The speakers came by UPS while the cabinet and wiring came by Fedex. Two different shipping crews. Not even a ding or hole in either shipping container. I take this as a sign from above. Father is pleased. I've taken the back off the extension cab and it's got about the cleanest interior finishing I've ever seen. I've unboxed the speakers and bolted the Fane Alnico A60s in the top two spots and the Fane Ceramic F70s in the bottom two. The F70s are more defined and a bit louder so I figured with a carpeted floor that would be the way to go. Originally I wanted to go with four F70s. They sound oh so close to the Fanes of my youth, (late '60s / early '70s Pink Floyd, King Crimson, The Who, etc). Then, after hearing multiple examples and reading the extraordinary reviews being given to the A60 from guitar magazines and You Tubers across the board I just couldn't not include them. They were also my wife's favorite so splitting the difference seemed wise in so many ways. The Mojotone Grand Canyon is a 4 X 12" straight cabinet, (bottom half of a stack). My Marshall was a 4 X 12" slant and I really disliked the way the two top speakers were angled up. It was like aiming them right at my ears. As a top cab in a stack slants work and look great but, sitting as a single cab on the floor, they're an Audiologists nightmare, (or dream), depending on their financial situation. Think about it my friends. I know so many who've purchased and used slant cabs at floor level because they think the slant just looks so cool and the majority wish they'd gone with a straight. Tomorrow I'll start wiring everything up. So far ...... Soooo Gooood!

Last edited:

Hey_you

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
That's so great! I have a thing for the "British" sound also. A Reeves cab with purple speakers I will own 1 day.

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
I got the cab all wired up yesterday and played through it for a couple of hours this morning. Nothing blew up. No fire. Not even any smoke. I'm starting to get this stuff down. Because this was the first day of use I stayed pretty clean on the amp. The combination of Fane A60 and F70 speaker pairs produce a vocal character super tight in the bottom and then evenly keeps that definition all the way up through the high end. No volume change from bottom to top. A very flat response. No bumps anywhere in the mid range. Compared to my other speakers brands, (Celestion, Eminence and Weber), the Fane speakers have a high end that sounds extended. It goes further up the range while maintaining the same note volume level. I love the way each string is crisp and clear. None overshadow the others. An arpeggiated chord is like six individual voices singing together. Even echo / delay repeats remain very clear even when they breakup during the fade.

The Cornford Hellcat head looks killer sitting atop the Mojotone Grand Canyon. Once I get some hours on the new speakers I'll check out the high gain channel one. I'm looking for a smooth singing gain voice. Like Eric Johnson, David Gilmour, Carlos Santana, etc.. I'm not a fan of crunch. With the definition I'm getting clean I have very high hopes.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
I swore off new guitars and amp heads / combo's almost 2 years ago. Retirement gets closer every day. Today I purchased my last cabinet and it had to be a 4 X 12" !!! In my youth they played a major role in defining the image of a rock guitarist. During my heyday I always had a Marshall 4 X 12" with Vintage 30's at my back. Not that I was a huge fan of Marshall amps. Mine always had a Mesa Mark III Blue Stripe head sitting on it.
I just finished placing my order for an empty Mojo Tone Grand Canyon straight 4 X 12" extension cabinet, (Killer specs. Thick Baltic Birch throughout and finger jointed cabinetry with excellent reviews), Two Fane A60 Alnico speakers for the top two spots and two Fane F70 Ceramic speakers for the bottom two placements. A true old fashioned back line cab. Something I can stand in front of and feel the pulse.
Yep. I know. Probably just a mid life / ever so slightly past mid life crisis. I don't care. I foolishly traded in my Marshall 4 X 12" maybe ten years back and have never stopped regretting it. My Mark III had given up the ghost and I figured it was just part of the deal. At the time I didn't realize how much more than a speaker cabinet it was to me. It was part of the definition of what made me who I am. When I traded it in I did so because I realized it really had no place in today's venues. Sound guys carried AK's just for guys like me. "You ain't bringing that in here". Lately .... the past has become very important to me. That which defined my youth should remain in my current period of life. I don't want to consider going out without it.
I admit ... this cab was all about me. For what I paid for all the parts I'll need to wire up I could have purchased a Marshall 100 Hand Wired 4 X 12". My version won't have anywhere near the resale value of the Marshall but it will be a true representation of my tonal desires. I've loved Fane speakers for 50 years yet never fulfilled the desire to include them in my rig. When their Ascension series came out a number of years back I instantly wanted their F70s. Pink Floyd out the $%^. More recently while listening to speaker comparisons on You Tube my wife came into the room and said the speakers currently being played might just be the best speakers she's ever heard. These were the Fane A60s. To my ears they had a little less definition than the F70s when pushed but, when played clean, definitely had a more soulful sound than the F70s. Engendering times past.

So. A brand new Mojo Tone Grand Canyon.

Two Fane A60 Alnico speakers.

Two Fane F70 Ceramic speakers.

This is the backline amp cab of my dreams. I'll being increasing my life insurance policy to take in the larger hole in the ground required to bury this extension cab with me. This is nothing new. I've already done this for my Giffin Standard, Melancon Custom T, Gibson ES-336 and Les Paul Traditional with quilt top.

I wish you a happy hearing loss.
YEP!!!

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
I still have my 50-Watt Marshall JCM800 and 4x12 Cab.
Never use it, can't bring myself to get rid of it.