Old Inductors; Trash or Treasure ?

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by magic smoke, Jul 18, 2018.

1. magic smoke

magic smoke Tele-Meister

Just pulled three of these out of an old Thomas Organ from the late 60s/ early 70’s. Does anybody know what these are or who manufactured them? Are these useful in a modern wah? I have a crybaby CGB-95 I’m thinking about dropping one in to see how it sounds.
    IMG_1436.JPG
    Image1531949234.138233.jpg

2. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Afflicted

They're made by TDK. They'll probably sound a little different. I installed a board I made with 2 inductors and a 3 way rotary switch and can have 1, 2 or 1+2.

I used a black modern inductor like whats in your wah and a new production fasel.

3. magic smoke

magic smoke Tele-Meister

IMG_1440.JPG

It definitely sounds different now. The inductor gave it an underwater type of vibe. Not exactly what I was hoping for.

4. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Afflicted

I wonder what they measure.

Now you know you don't like those.

You might still get something interesting putting together the 2 inductors or a combination of any of them.

The 2 inductors I'm using sound slightly different and the 2 together is my favorite of the 3 positions.

magic smoke likes this.
  5. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I have an older Crybaby that I bought new in about 1978. At some point early in history of Fulltone I bought a kit that
    modified the switch to true bypass as well as switched out the inductor for a "better" inductor. I don't think the
    wah sound really changed for better or worse. The true bypass definitely improved bypassed tone since traditional
    wahs are a bit of a tone suck. But I have to wonder whether the resale value is much less since it doesn't have
    the original inductor....even though it sounds about the same to my ears.

6. magic smoke

magic smoke Tele-Meister

After a bit of searching it looks like the value of these inductors is 4H and a wah circuit uses 250-400H inductors. It’s interesting to hear how the Q shifts with “wrong” values. The sound reminds me of the game where one person yells a word underwater and the other submerged players guess what they said. I guess it’s a potentially useful tone, but definitely not what I was hoping for. The Quest continues...

7. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

See if this helps in your quest for wah tone nirvana: http://stinkfoot.se/archives/549

magic smoke likes this.
  8. magic smoke

magic smoke Tele-Meister

This is exactly what I needed! Thanks

awasson likes this.
  9. magic smoke

magic smoke Tele-Meister

Update: I reinstalled the original inductor. dropped the input impedance resistor to 34k and temporarily installed a pot parallel to inductor to find the right Q. Ended up pretty close to 68k tuning by ear. I tried a few other tweaks but reverted them back to stock. Coupled with the earlier mods of true bypass and removing the buffer , I am now very happy with this wah. Much more vocal and hot with a nice amount of growl. Thanks @awasson for the link to stink foot. That was the key! The amp from my earlier video is out on loan, sorry no follow up vid.

awasson likes this.
  10. magic smoke

magic smoke Tele-Meister

IMG_1445.JPG

Mouth and awasson like this.
  11. GByxbee

GByxbee NEW MEMBER!

These were used in the Tone-X circuit of the Vox Essex bass amp and I could use one if you want to sell (provided it is functional. Let me know! It is a 4h inductor.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.