Dik Ellis

Tele-Holic
I was a hippie and I showered every day
IMG_0894.jpg
;)

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I wanted to be a hippie but my mom wouldn't let me. The "flower children" were born in the '40s, for the most part, so they'd be in their 70s or early 80s now.

I grew my hair long in college, but the hippie thing was over.

JSMac

Tele-Afflicted
I'm old enough to qualify. Just this side of 70. I tried pretty hard to be a hippie and I think I came pretty close. I went to one Dead concert when I ran away from home and hitch hiked to Lincoln Nebraska in the late '60s. And I still rock tie dye on just the right occasion.

THC is legal in my state. :cool:

Past my bedtime.

Peace.

Last edited:

Billy3

Tele-Afflicted
It’s interesting that people in this thread are getting hung up on the age, saying 80 is more beatnik than hippie. Phil Lesh is 82. Jerry Garcia would be coming up on 82 as well. Grace slick is 82. David Crosby is 80. Whether or not any of them would consider themselves as having been hippies, we all know they were the tip of the spear, so to speak.
Thank you.

soundchaser59

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I'm 60's and feel I was corrupted early on by my older brother's hippie wannabe friends, and imo they missed the real hippies by about 5 or 7 years. By the time they went to California the real Haight Ashbury scene was already over, and they are all 5-7 years older than me.

I never did listen to the Dead. My first records were Chicago, Santana and Woodstock. But my brother and his friends loved it

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic
Love the dead, born in 1980 so not even in the conversation to be a hippie. It is weird to me that most people my age that tried to emulate the hippie lifestyle were pretty wealthy people dressing up like woodstock. Not even really into the music, they just liked the "look".

Wait until you find out most of the "hippies" cut their hair and became CEOs, Execs, etc...

It was a fashion statement to most, a lifestyle to a few, from most things I've read about it.