Old Hippies!

hnryclay

Tele-Holic
Love the dead, born in 1980 so not even in the conversation to be a hippie. It is weird to me that most people my age that tried to emulate the hippie lifestyle were pretty wealthy people dressing up like woodstock. Not even really into the music, they just liked the "look".

Jazzcaster21

Tele-Holic
¡Bueno!™

Funny story. Walking Daisy dog in this RV/Mobile home park I’m at. Lots of retirees in the mobile home section. One old dude and his wife wave to me and Daisy every day. My guess early to mid 80 years old. Black socks with Florsheim shoes collared shirt tucked into his gaberdine shorts pulled up a little too far. Horn rimmed glasses! Almost military haircut You know the type; grand pa!

Today he’s getting something out of the car and I spot a Steal Your Face tattoo on his calf! I’m like “Hey what’s up with that!” Tells me he was in Vegas a few years ago; his daughter got him drunk enough at 2 am to get a tattoo! I ask if he knows what it is. Says heck yea! He saw the Dead all through their run; started seeing them in the 60’s. THEN he was the supervisor for Red Rocks for over 20 years and saw every show they played there! Danged hippies turned in to old men! Real old men!

"I still play their cds in the car" he says as we wander off!

Kinda cool to meet a guy like that!
You can't make stuff like that up.

Twelvefrets

Tele-Meister
From my own experience I would say there's a ten-year overlap between the beats and the hippies, 1955-1965. By the mid 1960s a lot of coffee houses, a favorite haunt of the beats, are fading or morphing into some else. Many exceptions of course, Cafe Trieste in SF is still going, and Topanga Canyon had health food naturists climbing the hills in the 1940s. But I see a hand/off of sorts between Jack Kerouac/Neal Cassidy, who are firmly from the beat tradition, hanging out with Ken Kesey. There's this really interesting pocket where the banjo is part of the bridge, pre-Dead, pre-Byrds, "Circle Be Unbroken" stuff. The banjo to the sitar, what a twisty, crazy time. I think i remember it...

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
I laugh. You would think by talk today that there were millions of Hippies. Well, their definition of a Hippie has a bunch of holes in it. THe hole is, there weren't that many Hippies and many young folks were lumped in with them. All you needed was long hair. All Dead heads were not Hippies, but many Hippies were dead heads. Unbathed, Deadheads!

Yeah the same thing happened with “hipster.” I remember when it was a very specific type of charlatan in the late 90s/early 00s. By like 2005 it was just used to denote any person between 18-25 who wore skinny jeans and a v-neck.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Yeah the same thing happened with “hipster.” I remember when it was a very specific type of charlatan in the late 90s/early 00s. By like 2005 it was just used to denote any person between 18-25 who wore Levi’s 510s with a carabiner and a v neck.
Exactly that. Today I learned people unfairly generalize large groups. Millennials would like a word, pushing three decades with that term, and still part of the "hurr durr they all get a trophy now, that's the problem, I am very smart" discourse.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
¡Bueno!™

Funny story. Walking Daisy dog in this RV/Mobile home park I’m at. Lots of retirees in the mobile home section. One old dude and his wife wave to me and Daisy every day. My guess early to mid 80 years old. Black socks with Florsheim shoes collared shirt tucked into his gaberdine shorts pulled up a little too far. Horn rimmed glasses! Almost military haircut You know the type; grand pa!

Today he’s getting something out of the car and I spot a Steal Your Face tattoo on his calf! I’m like “Hey what’s up with that!” Tells me he was in Vegas a few years ago; his daughter got him drunk enough at 2 am to get a tattoo! I ask if he knows what it is. Says heck yea! He saw the Dead all through their run; started seeing them in the 60’s. THEN he was the supervisor for Red Rocks for over 20 years and saw every show they played there! Danged hippies turned in to old men! Real old men!

The time to make your mind up about people... is never.

-Katherine Hepburn in Philadelphia Story

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I don’t mean this in a snarky way, but life’s too short to worry about how others choose to live, provided they aren’t hurting anyone, of course. I was born in the late 60s, so I missed the hippie era, but it also always resonated with me in a certain way. While I do agree with @Dan German that it’s a tough lifestyle to cling to - increasingly so in the world we live in - I understand the attraction to it and why it’d be hard to let go of if you lived through it.

It seems to me that was a hugely transformative time in so many respects, where a lot of consciousness was brought to bear on many aspects of life in modern society. And as I’m sure was the case with many people at the time and many people later on (like myself) the music was a catalyst.

The people who still cling to that lifestyle may very well feel that they are the ones who’ve moved on and that the rest of the world is in many ways stuck. The way things are going in the world, I’m not so sure they’re wrong… though clearly that’s a simplistic view.
There’s a reason the people I was referring to are still my friends—they’re good people.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I laugh. You would think by talk today that there were millions of Hippies. Well, their definition of a Hippie has a bunch of holes in it. THe hole is, there weren't that many Hippies and many young folks were lumped in with them. All you needed was long hair. All Dead heads were not Hippies, but many Hippies were dead heads. Unbathed, Deadheads!
Very well said.

rdjones

Tele-Holic
Love the dead, born in 1980 so not even in the conversation to be a hippie. It is weird to me that most people my age that tried to emulate the hippie lifestyle were pretty wealthy people dressing up like woodstock. Not even really into the music, they just liked the "look".
This is what we call a "poseur".

Sparky472

Tele-Afflicted
There’s a reason the people I was referring to are still my friends—they’re good people.
Exactly- that’s at the heart of my point and I why I bristled a bit at the “let’s move on people” comment. Living a hippie lifestyle doesn’t make my list of things people need to move on from.

MTPoteet

Tele-Holic
I don’t mean this in a snarky way, but life’s too short to worry about how others choose to live, provided they aren’t hurting anyone, of course. I was born in the late 60s, so I missed the hippie era, but it also always resonated with me in a certain way. While I do agree with @Dan German that it’s a tough lifestyle to cling to - increasingly so in the world we live in - I understand the attraction to it and why it’d be hard to let go of if you lived through it.

It seems to me that was a hugely transformative time in so many respects, where a lot of consciousness was brought to bear on many aspects of life in modern society. And as I’m sure was the case with many people at the time and many people later on (like myself) the music was a catalyst.

The people who still cling to that lifestyle may very well feel that they are the ones who’ve moved on and that the rest of the world is in many ways stuck. The way things are going in the world, I’m not so sure they’re wrong… though clearly that’s a simplistic view.
I didn't say or mean that I was worried about the way anyone lives, I believe we all have the right to live as we please.
I was saying I didn't understand people clinging to that lifestyle.
Peace & Love!

Last edited:

ce24

Poster Extraordinaire
¡Bueno!™

We are legion!

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Beats - Hippies whatever - it didn't stop and switch suddenly - they just became less socially relevant. As for the Guy with the Shoes and the Tatoo? Beats or Hippies would never wear them - I doubt he knows he's uncool.