Old Hippies!

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Reminds me of the picture of the old man staring into the mirror and seeing a reflection of his twenty year old self looking back. I can relate, my brain still wants to act like I am twenty but my body can’t always keep up. Reminds me of Toby Keith’s As Good As I Once Was.
My brain says you can’t do this boy.
But my pride says oh yes you can….
LOL

Last edited:

MTPoteet

Tele-Holic
Red Rocks is a park (owned by the City & County of Denver),not just a concert venue, what exactly does/did "the supervisor" do?

Stage manager? Facilities manager? They even have a museum/souvenir shop, The parking lots a huge, I'm sure they need attention as well. Etc..etc..etc..

Last edited:

hdvades

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Cool story. I saw the Dead a bunch of times...whole lotta partying going on. Always had a blast haha. Little did I know at the time, but I saw Jerry and the Dead at their last show Soldier Field in Chicago. That was only time I left a Greatful Dead concert disappointed too. It was a shock when Jerry left us a few months later.

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
80 would be on the high end for "Hippie".
That's more like Beatnik territory.
I'm only in my '60s and feel like I was influenced as much by the Beatniks as I was the Hippies.

I agree with rdjones. I'm thinking Maynard G. Krebs. A Proto Hippie if there ever was one. A Dead Head before it was fashionable. A Jerry Garcia mentor!

CCK1

Tele-Afflicted
Love the Dead!! It was actually the first concert I ever left before it was over. Mid 70's at the Fabulous Fox Theatre in Atlanta. The show started about 9:00, with Jerry solo on a stool. Over the next 4-5 hours, musicians came and went on the stage. As many as 7-8 at times, and as few as 2 or 3. We left a bit after 2:00 AM, I still had to drive home, and I was tired as he11. No idea how much longer they played.

raysachs

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Reminds me of the picture of the old man staring into the mirror and seeing a reflection of his twenty year old self looking back. I can relate, my brain still wants to act like I am twenty but my body can’t always keep up.
My version of that is seeing people that look old to me, assuming they've got a good 10 years on me, at LEAST, then getting to know them and realizing they're YOUNGER than me... Happens more and more often. I guess it speaks well of my self-image - good to feel / perceive yourself as younger than you actually are, as long as you don't act on it and get yourself killed!

-Ray

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
I remember back in the day when I lived in San Francisco, we'd go to shows and invariably meet some old timers who were really cool. They would tell us stories about the good ol' days, and might partake in whatever we were consuming that night. I always felt it was like a link to the past. Now I am that guy and I still kind of wonder how it happened.

MTPoteet

Tele-Holic
I know what you’re sayin’, but I’m almost 62, and it was my older hippie friends that introduced me to the Beatnik stuff.

Out here on the edge, there are plenty of Old Hippies who now spend their time Protecting Their Investments. A bit sad, although understandable. I do still keep in touch with a core group of folks in their 70s who I knew IN the 70s, and who have never completely let go of the 60s. Good people, but it’s a tough lifestyle to cling to.
I understand what you're saying. I grew up in the 60's in San Francisco. I saw and dug a lot of those old SF bands. Never was a Dead fan though. Although Jerry Garcia and Bob Weir, unbeknownst to me at the time, both worked in the guitar store where I bought my first guitar.
The point is, I have never understood why some can't let that hippy era go. My sister for example. She is 76.
It was fun and cool at the time (for the most part) but let's move on people, Life's too short.

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
A Boomer™ here.

If I see a tie-dye at 100 yards, I do a hasty retreat to my car's 8 track player, with Disco cranked up!!

MTPoteet

Tele-Holic
I saw the dead at the Cow Palace in SF back in 74. I guess was a famous recorded show.
A buddy and me just wandered into it since it seemed like something to do for the day.
I actually liked seeing Manfred Mann and Uriah Heep at the Winterland better. The dead I thought
were too hillbilly at the time.
Uriah Heep rocks. (Winterland too.) I saw them with Deep Purple in San Jose. They both used the same backline

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
I laugh. You would think by talk today that there were millions of Hippies. Well, their definition of a Hippie has a bunch of holes in it. THe hole is, there weren't that many Hippies and many young folks were lumped in with them. All you needed was long hair. All Dead heads were not Hippies, but many Hippies were dead heads. Unbathed, Deadheads!

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
Some of the OG hippies cleaned up aesthetically but are still old hippies at heart. That’s cool. It’s the same way with a lot of punks.

But a lot of those “wow man” dudes in the seventies who went for the polo shirt and khaki pants in the 80s and 90s are 100% narc city. They were just young and wanted to fit in.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
saw 3 cousins a couple of weeks ago. they are all a lot older and it was interesting, 2 look like dapper old guys 'keeping up' the oldest was in pretty much a fatigue jacket, haired tied back and talking about 'his music' (he was a who fanatic before, during and after Vietnam where he spent a long time and that is how he always says it.) I enjoyed that he kind of talked to me with suspicion, until we started talking about the Giants, Jim Ray Hart and then he relaxed and then apologized for his brother who had become a dodger fan after 50 years in Sherman Oaks.

He is still a tie dyed in the wool hippie.... it was funny the 'free love thing' mixed with 'get off my lawn'

Sparky472

Tele-Afflicted
I understand what you're saying. I grew up in the 60's in San Francisco. I saw and dug a lot of those old SF bands. Never was a Dead fan though. Although Jerry Garcia and Bob Weir, unbeknownst to me at the time, both worked in the guitar store where I bought my first guitar.
The point is, I have never understood why some can't let that hippy era go. My sister for example. She is 76.
It was fun and cool at the time (for the most part) but let's move on people, Life's too short.
I don’t mean this in a snarky way, but life’s too short to worry about how others choose to live, provided they aren’t hurting anyone, of course. I was born in the late 60s, so I missed the hippie era, but it also always resonated with me in a certain way. While I do agree with @Dan German that it’s a tough lifestyle to cling to - increasingly so in the world we live in - I understand the attraction to it and why it’d be hard to let go of if you lived through it.

It seems to me that was a hugely transformative time in so many respects, where a lot of consciousness was brought to bear on many aspects of life in modern society. And as I’m sure was the case with many people at the time and many people later on (like myself) the music was a catalyst.

The people who still cling to that lifestyle may very well feel that they are the ones who’ve moved on and that the rest of the world is in many ways stuck. The way things are going in the world, I’m not so sure they’re wrong… though clearly that’s a simplistic view.