Old Guy Rant & Question

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by djh22, Apr 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

^^^^ I've been party to the Bob J at the "proper" speed conversation for 10 years at least.

It all comes down to the voice.

What sounds most natural to you ?

The guitar parts aren't the determining factor.

Bob was a synthesis of all that came before him and arrived as the country blues was dying/dead. Way late.

squatch likes this.
  2. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

xactly

sall just digits ifya ax me

3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Good point. Across a lot of Europe you will see it written at the end. It's the € sign now of course.

[​IMG]

4. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

And here you are, hitting "return" when you reach the right edge of the text box as if you were typing on a typewriter, instead of allowing the computer to automatically delimit each line to fit the preferred aspect ratio of the reader. See the screen shot below, and I'll draw your attention to the break after the word "lauding" as an example of what I am talking about.

[​IMG]

While you are saying that the four year old can't use a book correctly because she is too accustomed to an iPhone, you yourself are bringing the conventions of the typewriter to a word-processing platform, resulting in unnaturally formatted text.

I'm needling you a bit of course, but I'm trying to make the point that the young and old both have habits, neither is superior as long as each is willing to learn and change.

squatch likes this.
  5. jondanger

I agree it's all about the voice, I care a little less about the guitar parts.

What I really want to hear are recordings of Charley Patton that don't sound like they were recorded on the underwater telephone.

6. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

image.jpeg Well, I have at least one thing in common with the whippersnappers: I wear blue jeans.:eek: As far as the dollar sign deal, I try to refrain from criticizing ignorance.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Are you kidding me ? You're in Maryland !

Go to Frederick, go into the Barbara Fritchie restaurant, ask for Joe Bussard's number (if he isn't there already) and ask him to play you some records !

I did 6 years ago on the way back to Detroit from DC and it was 5 or 6 fascinating hours of hearing 78's they way they were supposed to be heard.

And loud.

Phenomenal experience - so glad I did it.

squatch likes this.
  8. jondanger

That's a hell of a tip, thanks Mike! I get over that way from time to time. I will definitely pop in there. I love diners anyway, double win.

9. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

As an old geezer who's beginning to suffer from diminishing skills, I feel very comfortable in a world where most of the young are starting out, intellectually speaking, with so much less.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  10. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

OK...here's a quick read, that to me, covers it succinctly. It's an explanation of what's happening and how it's the communication evolution at play...and why it's not all bad. For the most part though, it reinforces the point that there is a decay in people's abilities and sense of caring in how precise they present the written word.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robasgh...mar-snobs-how-typos-became-okay/#29d8df135aaa

11. jondanger

Thanks for the link. I agree with the author that content is more important than form; that form should only be critiqued to the extent that it obscures content, which obviously does happen. I disagree that there is a decay in people's abilities though. I think it is fairer to characterize it as an evolution, which is not the same as an improvement, just a change effected by changing stimuli. If you haven't watched the video that Vara posted, it's worth it. That's James Flynn, a researcher on human intelligence. The Flynn Effect, which describes the sustained increase in average IQ over the last century, is named after him. He talks about the changing demands of the modern world, and how they shape our cognitive processes. Interesting talk.

12. flyingnorth

flyingnorth Tele-Meister

What ticks me off at 74 years young, is all those old people at Walmart stopping in the middle of aisle, oh wait that's my wife.....

jondanger likes this.
  13. Karl Pilkington

Karl Pilkington Tele-Meister

I see this all the time, particularly on restaurant menus. They don't do it on accident. If you don't want to read through that, the key sentence of the abstract is this: "Contrary to expectations, guests given the numeral-only menu spent significantly more than those who received a menu with prices showing a dollar sign or those whose menus had prices written out in words."

14. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

It's new £X.99 trick

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I would forgo my almost always affected attire of cargo shorts and tees if I be could transported to that time period. I would have custom taylored suits, ties as big as a skillet, and a smile bigger than that Pee Wee Herman lookalike sitting in the center of the picture.

squatch likes this.
  16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

TD, so you'd wear suits picked out by Taylor Swift?

Memorex sez "I feel very comfortable in a world where most of the young are starting out, intellectually speaking, with so much less."
    Intellectualism (or the lack thereof) has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

If I can get Taylor to tailor my suits, I might just wanna stay here. ARE YOU AND KELNET RELATED? :D:D:D

18. ArivacaCharlie

ArivacaCharlie TDPRI Member

I remember when signage began having picture and symbols instead of words. It drove me nuts until I came to the realization that it made it easier for people to understand who spoke a foreign language.

19. fasteddie455

fasteddie455 Tele-Meister

Can someone explain this to me, then? like the original poster, I can't stand it when someone tries to hand me my change with the coins piled on top of the bills (especially through a drive-in window). Is it not apparent, that the coins easily slide off the bills or that the weight of the coins cannot be properly supported by the bills? Have they never experienced having to pick up the coins off the floor or ground needlessly, because someone did this to them? It didn't have to happen twice for me to learn that if you place the change in your hand followed by the bills then you don't have this problem(even if you don't bother to count it out to me). Why is happening with more and more frequency?
    fasteddie455

djh22 likes this.
  20. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

I find the OP humorous - these were hand painted signs. The artist probably thought "44$" was "artistic and folksy" and was doing it for effect, to show this was a hand made piece and not just another mass produced sign.

I think that point was a bit lost. Correct? Maybe not. Effective at getting your attention? Apparently!

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.