old growth redwood telecaster?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by jagfan, Jun 9, 2011.

1. jagfan

jagfan TDPRI Member

i have read articles about this and am curious how the quality of wood like this would effect the guitar? i am from eureka, california where there are tons and tons of redwoods and old growth wood everywhere. i have a friend that makes tube amps here in the town and we have often talked about using old growth redwood for cabinets.

can anyone comment on the characteristics of using this type of wood for a solid body guitar? pros or cons?

thanks

2. thurlkill

thurlkill TDPRI Member

After owning one for a few hours now I can tell you that the light weight and awesome warm tone are the two biggest pros so far.

3. ianasdfg

ianasdfg Tele-Afflicted

I almost bought a redwood Gordon Smith GS2 deluxe, but went for his mahogany one instead

Redwood's a softer wood and very light, so less spanky than ash - sounds lovely in this video

4. tonewoods

tonewoods Former Member

I've got a Tom Anderson Drop Top Strat with an old growth curly redwood body...
    Sounds great!

5. atmkpnk

atmkpnk NEW MEMBER!

i've had mine since August 2011.... she gets better every day... very clean on clean....very smokey on growl.... I own several tele's and find "little red" to be a sweet singer.... i also sell redwood lumber for a living and feel priveledge to own a piece of history.... 1 of 500... I have number 299.....

6. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.