1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Old Growth Redwood Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Jethro, Jul 2, 2011.

1. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Nope. Not mine!:D But i wish you`ll find one somewhere.:cool: If i see one for sale, i will write about it in this thread.;)

2. fenderplayer18

fenderplayer18 TDPRI Member

Thank! I would absolutely love that!

3. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

If I see anything available, I will surely post it here

4. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Attention Brown's Canyon and OGR Owners :eek:

Check this out. I just noticed this Redwood Charvel for sale....it looks as though Charvel (owned by Fender) were using the same Brown's Canyon Redwood....hmm, maybe that's why they ran out of stock for the telebration series. All in all, these look like really nice guitars....I particularly like the look of the carbonized maple neck matched up against the redwood.

Just thought this was kind of interesting

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/...itars, Falbo, Cole Clark and Taylor Acoustics

5. Hotrod40

Hotrod40 Tele-Holic

Its been a few years and havent seen anyone wanting to give these up....Maybe one day.

6. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Is it really of redwood? That Charvel `s grain looks TOTALLY different, like ash or something!:confused: Maybe it`s called red wood, and called so because of red finish?;)

Attached Files:

7. Lazer

Lazer Tele-Meister

My Telebration old growth has similar grains as the Charvel and that is how most
    redwood looks like.
    The Redwood term includes several spices, don't know if that applies to the guitars.

Cheers
    L-zr

8. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

I still believe Redwood used in Fender Tele-brations was Sequoia. Fender specially pointed out in early 2011 that they use only Giant Sequoia wood of 3 species which exist. That is the reason they coudn`t make as many guitars as they originally intended.;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redwood

Please take a look at many pictures in the beginning of this discussion, you will see that wood in ALL guitars look similar to mine, except various amount of nail holes and rusty grease stains.:cool:

You can contact Jeff Krause at Fender ([email protected]).

9. Lazer

Lazer Tele-Meister

The difference is how the wood is cut, and the except for Yours they all look like
    redwood. I think most of them would be "seqoia sempervires" since they are better
    for construction then "seqoia gigantum". Anyway I'm sure Your's is authentic even
    though it doesn't look it.

Cheers
    L-zr

10. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Here is the paragraph from the link I shared

Recycled Redwood Body:
    The pieces of Redwood used in this run of guitars was originally used in the construction of the Brown's Canyon Trestle, near Occidental, California. The trestle was built in 1876, and at the time it was the longest and tallest trestle west of the Mississippi to carry trains which were logging the Redwood forest following the California Gold Rush.The trestle was taken apart during the 1930's, and some of the lumber was used for constructing a San Jose, California shopping center. Fast forward to today, when the shopping center is no more, and we have turned these 135-year-old pieces of wood into some of the best sounding Charvels we have ever heard.

Hard to dispute that....pretty much the same advertising as the Fender Telebration ads

11. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

+1

Agreed...The angle of the cut will make a huge difference in the grain appearance

12. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

I thought your Charvel looks very good, made from high quality materials & parts, but whatever. Still don`t get why you do think mine looks wrong.
    My pics and other Redwood Tele owners`pics are taken with various exposures, color saturations etc. I think grain is the same, very tight, because of Redwod Sequoia makes several yearly grain rings, not only one.

1st pic is from Hotrod40, 2nd & 3rd from me. Fake redwood, maybe?:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  13. Hotrod40

Hotrod40 Tele-Holic

I had almost forgot what she looked like...I havent opened the case in over a year...Maybe my next day off we will get acquainted again...:)

14. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

I open the case of mine every 2 months, and let the guitar be in open for 2-3 weeks. It gets a lot of playing during those weeks.:)
    You can`t avoid it some of your guitars don`t get played often if you have 43 guitars, as me.:oops: OGR gets it`s fair share of music, though!:cool:

These new 3 get much playing just now, because they are purchased in 6 last weeks. Squier VM Cabronita w Bigsby, Ibanez AKJ95, still with styrofoam under the bridge because it`s just arrived 3 hours before when photo was taken, and Fender 60`s Classic.;)

Edit: must say Classic 60`s pickups sound strangely much similar as those in OGR...why`s that?:confused: Whole guitar`s tone is a little darker, though, but not much. It sounds absolutely spanky and twangy too!:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  15. Lazer

Lazer Tele-Meister

Savo, mine's NOT a charvel, it's an OG too and I dont think Yours look wrong, just
    a little less characteristic.

Cheers
    L-zr

16. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

OK then. One guitar owner here in Haninge is satisfied, no hard feelings.;)

17. Lazer

Lazer Tele-Meister

No problem, I know how difficult wood can be.

Cheers
    L-zr

18. Sofaplayer

Sofaplayer Tele-Meister

I once had two of the OGRs, sold one some time ago. They were clearly made of a different kind of redwood. One was dark brown, the other brighter and more yellowish. In addition, the brown one was lighter and more resonant. I always thought that the brown ones were made from the trestle bridge wood and the more yellow ones from a different redwood supply. At least the few Brown Canyon Redwood Teles looked just like my darker brown one.

And by the way, I bought the brown one in the US, the more yellow one in Europe. This confirms my assumption that Fender sells the better ones in their home market and exports the others.

[​IMG]

19. Lazer

Lazer Tele-Meister

There were very few made from the bridge, most of the are from other sources. I have seen 4 here i Sweden and all of them had the darker finnish. What is typical for this
    wood are thick growth rings, but as all speices it varies a lot.

Cheers
    L-zr

20. frog2112

frog2112 TDPRI Member

One available for sale

I just bought one. It is not new but it is not damaged. A few scuff marks and light scratches on the back. I have the case and case candy. If anyone is interested, realizing how much these have picked up in value and how rare they are, I will take advantage of the market and use that money for other gear and recording time.

I will provide anyone interested with pictures of this sweeeet sounding guitar and it's accessories. I just finished registering it with Fender. All I have left is to ask Fender to send me that COA and Warranty card that a few members received.

I am in Quebec, Canada. Will ship anywhere Paypal protects the innocents ...

;-)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.