1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Old Growth Redwood Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Jethro, Jul 2, 2011.

1. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

I don`t dare to put any oil on mine, as long it looks as it does.:cool: I did read somewhere last year, that OG does not need anything else but kept clean.

...and be played often!:D

2. honor

honor TDPRI Member

my guitar-master says me same: let it be clean;)
    ok) thank you for your answer

3. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

I also read somewhere just to keep it clean, and that oiling it is unnecessary. I think it was somewhere on Fender's site.

Nice to see a bit of activity on this thread....Happy New Year all :)

4. honor

honor TDPRI Member

You are welcome!) Happy New Year to you!

5. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Hey Guys....well I just realized it's been slightly over two years since a lot of us picked up our "Old Growth's" or "Browns Canyon's".

Just though I'd check how everyone's is holding up? Do you play it regularly or is she stored away for safekeeping??? :lol:

I have to admit I have not played mine in possibly 6 month's, but that's because I have a "Beater" go to tele if you will, that I never have to fret over ;)

Think it's time I get it some attention

Cheers, hope all are well
    Jethro

6. Sofaplayer

Sofaplayer Tele-Meister

Great idea to revive this thread.

Mine gets played from time to time but not nearly as much as it deserves. I've been more into archtops lately. But every time I play it, I am delighted how light it is and how good it sounds. The neck pickup even beats the neck pickup of my CS Strat. Wonderful Tele!

It's stored in its case so it still looks like new, more or less. If any one of yours is relic'ed already, please post some pics!

By the way, it is still available new in a few stores over here in Europe. People just don't seem to understand how special this guitar is.

7. Hotrod40

Hotrod40 Tele-Holic

Hate to admit it....never played since i bought it...lots of others to play.

8. blotchard

blotchard Tele-Meister

9. slippin slider

slippin slider Tele-Afflicted

That tele is really fine. The color of the would with the mat finish, is wonderful
    The story and all is some but the actual guitar is aj heart breaker.
    Good on you.

10. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

I play mine about 3-4 times a month. I have 32 other guitars and 9 basses to play, some don`t get much if any playing except in periods. There still is only 24 hours in a day, no matter how many guitars you have.:rolleyes:

blotchard, do your post mean that new guitar gets most of your playing, or do you show it because it has redwood in it?
    Whatever, nice looking buid, reminds me of PRS guitars.;)

11. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

12. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Somehow I knew you probably weren't playing yours a lot Hotrod. I'm not sure I would either if I had one of the early actual "Canyon" models. I certainly wouldn't gig it anyway ;)

13. blotchard

blotchard Tele-Meister

Hey savofenno, posted for the top, mostly. It gets loved though!

It's Bills take on an LP double-cut.
    I think that there's a build thread in this forum on it somewhere.

Yes Jethro, I was surprised myself at the examples available.
    Check the link at the bottom of my post, there are some wild pieces.

14. Inthefade

Inthefade TDPRI Member

Hi guys! I thought the thread was dead...! I play my old growth very often, at home mostly, it's still my number one guitar... Love teles! I'm really looking forward to discovering the 60th anniversary stratocasters in 2014. I might get one if they bring some original models...!

My OGR is still quite in a good shape though, but i'm actually thinking about replacing the machine heads with locking tuners...

15. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Glad to hear you're enjoying your OG.

Re: The 60th anniversary strats....That's something I am definitely interested in seeing

16. wah1040

wah1040 NEW MEMBER!

Documentation in the case?

Hi everyone, I am a proud owner of an "Old Growth" but for some reason my guitar did not come with any kind of documentation (the picture and/or history of the Browns Canyon railway bridge) of proof what number my guitar was in the series of 500 that were manufactured. Did everyone else get documents along with their purchase that verify these things? Or does my lack of documentation suggest that I got one of the guitars made from their backup source of redwood? I've been reading a little bit about that online this evening, and until now had no idea that the original supplier wasn't able to fulfill their contract with Fender (or whatever the snafu was). Can anyone help answer my questions?

17. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

There was not enough good wood in the bridge to make as many guitars Fender originally intended, so only about 140 was made.
    Fender continued to make more Redwood Teles from other railroad buildings and structures, thus Old Growth Redwood model was made to raise Redwood Teles`number to something 350.:!:
    You got a guitar from "their backup source of redwood", as i did, but those guitars are as good as ones made from Brown`s Canyon Bridge.
    In fact, bridge wood material was more filled with rusty nailholes, rail grease and other dirt, so OGR guitars look generally cleaner.;)
    You can contact Fender itself, they have been friendly with my questions, and Custom Shop which in fact participated in designing Tele-bration guitars, did send me a certificate when i mailed them my guitars`serial number!:cool:

Attached Files:

18. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

19. dadmire

dadmire TDPRI Member

These guitars are gorgeous. I never knew they existed! Plus I love the story behind them.

20. fenderplayer18

fenderplayer18 TDPRI Member

I know this is a super old thread. And I'm not sure if I can ask this here but is there anybody who would be interested in selling their old growth tele? Or would anyone know where I could buy one. I sadly enough jumped onto the electric train late and cannot find one anywhere :cry:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.