1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Old Growth Redwood Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Jethro, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

She still plays as nice as the first day I got her. Quite honestly, I'm still happily surprised with the quality and quiet of the factory installed pickups....they're almost as quiet as my noiseless area t's in my other tele, and tonally they seem to be perfect for how resonant this redwood can be. I really see no need to do any mods on this OGR. My only real critique is that the neck can get a bit sticky with sweat from long playing, and the bakelite pickguard is showing quite a bit of fading/scuffing or wear marks.

All in all I'm very pleased with my OGR and I still find myself admiring the grain of the redwood, and the idea that it's quite possibly 300 + years old :eek:

Cheers,
    Jethro

2. Skintight

Skintight Banned

Yeah I totally agree with you there mate. I toyed with swapping the pups and fitting a 3 saddle bridge, but I love the tone and action so much I don't want to mess with it.

3. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Hmm, I just noticed that one of our major shoppes up here has quite a few of the Telebration Series Tele's all for sale for 200 bucks off. I also noticed that there were no OGR's in that lineup :lol:

4. Forsh400

Forsh400 TDPRI Member

Hi, my first post here. I've had my Old Growth for approx. six weeks and I'm loving every minute I play it, hard to put down. Great feel to the neck, pickups and tone control are well matched for versatility, and it sounds lovely even when unplugged. I've played a couple of gigs with the Tele and it's already starting to get a lot of dings and scratches on the finish along with some dark patches where my palm rests on the wood. It's going to have a beaten up appearance in a just few months time (which will look pretty damn good I reckon).
    The redwood is a lot softer than I had expected. One of the strap buttons lost its grip in the wood and came loose after the first week of use, and I had to do the matchstick trick to get it tight again. I'm just hoping similar doesn't happen to the neck!

5. Sofaplayer

Sofaplayer Tele-Meister

Hey Forsh400, no stage diving with the Old Growth...

loris, this sounds like a sad story.

6. Forsh400

Forsh400 TDPRI Member

Haha, no chance of me stage diving with this or any other instrument Sofaplayer. I play it like I would any other guitar. I bought this Tele to play to the maximum, not to keep in its case. I just hope it is built to last. I guess time will tell..

7. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Welcome to the club Forsh400....glad I'm not the only one gigging with the OGR :D

8. Forsh400

Forsh400 TDPRI Member

Thanks Jethro! Yeah I wouldn't have it any other way. It would feel wrong to not gig with it to be honest. It sounds and plays much better than my other Fenders.

9. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

The real beauty of these OGR's is not just in their warm look, but even more-so in their warm tone....

Some might disagree, but I tend to feel that guitars should be played and not hung on walls....or even worse, stuffed in a case and slid under a bed for years. But that's just my humble opinion.

10. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Yes, guitars should be played, that is the reason they exist. I play my 27 guitars and 5 basses continuously. It takes about 2 moths until 1st one gets played again, but all of them get played about as much.:cool:
    Now if my collection grows to and over 100 guitars, i don`t know if all of them really get played...:D

11. TucsonTele

TucsonTele Tele-Meister

12. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

13. honor

honor TDPRI Member

Hi all! With love from Moscow.
    I bought my OG Tele in 2011 year.
    Today this OG Telecaster is a perfect guitar to me. I like warm sound and simple design, and the OG is that what i need. I am glad to play on my Tele.

14. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Hey Honor,

Glad to have you aboard....welcome!!!

15. Hotrod40

Hotrod40 Tele-Holic

Yes...Welcome...glad to see there is still some interest.

16. Sofaplayer

Sofaplayer Tele-Meister

17. honor

honor TDPRI Member

guys, do you refinish your old-growth tele by oil sometimes or no?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  18. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Should i? I think the sheen on it`s body looks as nice as 19 months ago when i got mine.:eek:
    I must mention of how well it sounds played with a bit of crunch, very like Bruce`s tone in around 1980! It is not a guitar only for just a nice country chicken picking, but for tougher, wilder things too! It bites!;)

19. honor

honor TDPRI Member

I agree, but I can not understand one thing, if tele hasn't any lacquer finish, does he need a new impregnation by oil, or no?
    Warwick guitars (they are without any lacquer finish) need new impregnation by oil or wax every year. So what about our OG Teles?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.