1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Old Growth Redwood Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Jethro, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

LOL....Mine is actually holding up pretty well. Apart from one pick scratch on the wood just above the pickguard....from a Townsend style strum ;)

The only thing that really surprised me was how fast these bakelite pickguards scuff up....under the strings and above it's still shiny black, but where my pinky rests was completely scuffed after about 4 hours of playing. I suppose this is typical with the bakelites. Anyone else experiencing this???

I will try to post some pics this week.

btw....nice to see this thread active again :D

2. blackguard52

blackguard52 TDPRI Member

hi sofaplayer - i am unsure what you are stating about the wood supplier - are you saying this is not the centuries old wood?

3. blackguard52

after a long long search and not able to aquire on ebay , i landed an OG today from my favorite local guitar dealer. I am absolutely knocked out by this guitar!
    - weighs in just about 6lbs
    - has the 52 hotrod neck as others described , a bit on the chunky side (perfect! )
    - pickups are perfect choice
    - bridge is amazing
    - playing through a reissue 65 princeton and a fender humboldt

i own now a 52 heavy relic blonde tele, a 52 hotrod b scotch and the OG !

4. blackguard52

the wood is in fact , 100's of years old - whether it was part of a rr or building - its still really old wood.

5. Sofaplayer

Sofaplayer Tele-Meister

Definitely correct. The trees were cut at least 100 years ago, at a time they were already several centuries old. It might be imagination but I think you can hear that age in the guitars tone. I also have an old growth pine Strat and it has that special depth in its tone, too. Very peculiar, very inspiring.

Congrats by the way, you will not regret your choice! And welcome to the club, if I may say so.

6. HonenShonin

HonenShonin Tele-Meister

Hi, everyone. I posted this question in the pickup section of the forum as well, but I thought I would run it by you, too, since you are fellow owners of the same guitar as me.

I am fortunate enough to be the owner of a Telebration Old Growth Redwood. In very nearly every respect, it is the ideal guitar for me. The neck is perfectly sized, the satin back is wonderful, the body is lightweight and gorgeous, and I love the '50s styling. The six-saddle bridge is also a plus in my book, but that is a topic for a different discussion.

The only two mods so far are a 4-way switch (for series wiring) and a switch to block saddles (since the strings were sliding over the strat saddles and making a metallic ZING! sound).

Now then, the pickups. I can tell that they are great, and I want to love them wholeheartedly, but I don't. Plenty of brightness available, but somehow too thin and hi-fi. The guitar almost sounds like an acoustic at times.

I did an A/B with my Baja last night and realized that I like the Baja pickups quite a bit more. There's a bit more output, yes, but I find that I also like a nice, sparkly neck pickup paired with a slightly throaty bridge pickup. That way, you avoid mud in the neck AND icepick in the bridge. I also like what this pairing does for the parallel position. YMMV, of course.

For various reasons, I may ultimately choose to part with the Baja, but I haven't decided yet. (The neck may be too thick for me, for one thing).

Background: Guitar is a hobby for me; my main instrument is the drums. I am therefore using the guitar for my own amusement and home recording (and occasional jams with similarly amateurish friends). I mainly use the neck pickup for pretty, sustaining, Bill Frisell sorts of things, while the bridge pick up gets called into duty for Ryan Adams-ish rock and heavy metal in a pinch. I do like to keep the output of the two pickups roughly even, though, so I can switch between them without major adjustments at the amp.

Keeping that in mind, are there any pickup pairings that I should consider dropping in the Redwood? I am looking at the Texas Specials and the Nocasters.

Specific questions:
    1) I'm pretty sure that the overwound bridge on the TS would be pretty satisfying to me, but would I find the overwound neck too dull (remembering that I am one of those people that likes the Twisted Tele)?
    2) How about the Nocasters? People describe those as having a very clear neck and a slightly darker bridge. That sounds to me like a description of the Twisted/Broadcaster combination. How different are the two sets?
    3) What are typical resistance readings for the four sets of pickups I've mentioned here ('62, Twisted/Broadcaster, TS, and Nocaster)? Other relevant specs?

I'm open to other suggestions as well, but please keep in mind that A) I want them to look like telecaster pickups should, and B) some of the lesser-known brands might be expensive or unavailable here in Japan.

Ah, one last question: The Twisted/Broadcaster pair is not RW/RP. This means that I get noise in all 6 positions on my Baja. What happens when you use a RW/RP pair in a Baja arrangement? I am assuming that both parallel and series in phase are hum-cancelling, but what happens in the out-of-phase positions? Do you pay a noise penalty?

Thanks in advance for those who persevered to the end of this rambling missive and are willing to share their thoughts!

7. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

This might be a silly question Honen but have you played with the height on your OG's pickups? I'm wondering if your's are set a tad too low??? I get all the tones that I'm after with mine....of course this is subjective, but my bridge has a nice blend of twang with a thicker chunkyness, and my neck is brilliant for bluesy/jazzy tones. I do know what you mean about the slight acoustic edge to it, especially in the middle position, but I really like that and I tend to think that it may be partly due to the wood being so damn resonant.

I for one will probably leave mine as is....one of the best sounding/playing tele's I've played....but again, this is totally subjective, and if you have already played with the heights and are still unhappy, then you should by all means make the swap. Have you considered Bill Lawrence pickups???

Good luck and welcome...

Cheers,
    Jethro

8. HonenShonin

HonenShonin Tele-Meister

That's a very good question, Jethro. I probably should have mentioned something about that in my post, but I guess I figured it was getting pretty long as it was... :)

The pickups are a little higher now than they were when I bought the guitar. The day after I took it home, I decided that the .009 strings weren't for me, and since the shop I bought it from was willing to do free adjustments on it, I brought it back and had them set it up again with .010s (and a slight adjustment to the neck). When I did that, I also asked to have the neck pickup raised so that its output would approximate that of the bridge. Right now, if I depress the strings at the 21st fret, I've got about a nickel's thickness of space between the neck pickup cover and the strings. I'm assuming it's probably not a good idea to go any closer than that?

Anyway, the pickups do sound good, but I often wish the sound were just a little more substantial and a little less airy, if that makes any sense. It's not so much that I need a lot more output; just a little more density in the low mids, maybe.

I may decide to stick with these, since of course there is no way to make a hotter pickup airier, and I can always thicken these up with a booster or EQ or some such. (The Way Huge Pork Loin has a very nice thickening effect!).

Thanks again for the help.

9. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Happy to try and help....

Just for interest sake, I checked my neck p/u height and mine is approx a nickel on the 6th string side (at 21'st fret), but closer to half that on the first string side. I too balanced mine to be close to equal in output but leaning slightly more to the neck side as I find this nicer for the middle position tone.

I also removed the 9's and put 10's on....I tend to prefer them anyway.

Good luck on nailing it to your liking.

Cheers,
    Jethro

10. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Well I haven't seen much activity in this little group for a while now. Hope everyone is still happy with their OG's. How are they holding up....any more battle scars on that soft redwood???

Cheers,
    Jethro

11. Hotrod40

Hotrod40 Tele-Holic

mine is still in the case...have aquired a few other toys..but no time to enjoy them.

12. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

+1

13. Skintight

Skintight Banned

I have a few. One is a f*ck¡ng bad one too! I swear I don't treat it any differently to anybody my other guitars (which are immaculate)

image-3980719164.jpg

Argh!

Attached Files:

14. Hotrod40

Hotrod40 Tele-Holic

Its been just over a year since the Brown's Canyon/ Old Growth were released....So far I have only seen 2 Brown's Canyon models...still wondering how many got out before the switch...thought a couple more would have popped up by now.

15. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Do you mean that scar in 1st pic, in inner horn? How is it specially bad?
    Btw, you are a good photographer! You got those grains show so well.

16. Skintight

Skintight Banned

Firstly thank you for the complement. I just snapped it with my iPhone camera haha!

Yeah that one. It's just looks a bit minging!

These guitars really do mark incredibly easy (I think it gives them a bit more personality) but if anyone on here likes their guitars immaculate don't be too rough, come to think of it, don't even pick it up... Hell, don't even look at the thing!!!

Anyone else on here got any dings on their OGR's they'd like to share? (I'm half expecting someone to post one of it snapped in half)

17. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Croiky, I don't think its that bad, but I suppose if you pull a townshend it :p:lol:

I've got one pick mark on mine but so far that's it....I don't really baby it either

18. Skintight

Skintight Banned

How have you been finding your OGR, Jethro? How does it compare to when you first got it?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.