Old German Jazzbox: the dead shall rise again

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by parkwood, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Zeonoid

Zeonoid Tele-Holic

Try to put p90 elsewhere then neck position... I saw those thinner jazzboxes with p90 in the middle and thats much more usable sound for rocknroll then mudddy neck

2. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'm really loving this thread! Great to see the support for such an inspiring project! And nice to see (an)other guitar in the world that still lives!

It's an interesting part of the history of Europe... This crazy war by a megalomaniac (or a group of them really) and the fall out afterwards, where the allied forces did what they thought was best for a country that had gone well off track... How life continued afterwards, but with the weirdness of communism forced upon the people... And how the people did their best to continue to live their lives and do their jobs anyway...

So we have these relics from a strange time floating around still... Amazing really :)

3. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

Thank you, cool) Let me assure you, there will no Times New Roman on the headstock) I guess i'll figure something out.

4. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

I see your point. But doing it es330tc style may not work here - cat's eyes are in the way. These are placed too close together. Strat size single may fit between them, but soapbar will not. Anyway, i have a plan to put strings on, hotwire the pu and move it around.

SecretSquirrel and Barncaster like this.
  5. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

Here's the tr channel cut, tr installed and headstock shaped.

I've basically stolen the Synchromatic shape. It's massive, looks like a paddle and will work good with the body imo. Overlay is beech.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  6. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Excellent work and a very worthwhile project. Most folks on TDPRI have a soft spot for guitars that have a hard life. These instruments have earned the right to be treated with respect and dignity and it's great to watch a craftsman at work like this - thanks for sharing!

7. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Really enjoy what your doing with this. In an earlier post I'd mentioned the Roger Rossmeisl Roger/Rickenbacker 360F similarities (I might have called it a Capri - oops) to this guitar, and seeing that you've gone with the checkerboard binding too, I think Ric Toaster top pickups could work with this design really well. Do what you want of course - cool project.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

i'm glad you guys like it.

overlay's on

[​IMG]

Checkers for a headstock.

[​IMG]

i thought i'll do the trick i've seen on one of Paul Wilczynsky's builds. That's a great stuff for a Ric nerd, though for some reason his site is out of order exactly today. The binding channel just stops 3-4 mm before the nut and doesn't come underneath fb. I find it weird and cool.

[​IMG]

Tommy Biggs, tigger, MM73 and 5 others like this.
  9. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

Oh I see, I agree. Thanks!

10. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

There are reproductions being made of the DeArmond Rhythm Chief that were being made by Fender and now Cordoba and are very reasonably priced. It’s the correct look and time period technology.

I have not sonically evaluated the new ones but if they are 70% of an original, they would still be an excellent choice.
    Rob

11. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

Thanks, Rob

That sure is a cool sounding pickup. I've even stumbled upon your YouTube video of the original version of it. You made this idea attractive, though i'm not so sure about the brecket system.

12. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

Here's the headstock with checkers done. Also "rosewood" fb is glued on, binding channels routed, fret slots cut.

[​IMG]

Tommy Biggs and tintag27 like this.
  13. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

I had an intension to keep some German vibe of this guitar. Probably, that's why fret markers are across-the-board and so wide.

[​IMG]

First five are made with crushed MOP (Ric-ish) and clear epoxy. Cavities were painted white.

Fb is going to have finish on it (Ric-ish again).

BTW, online nail shop, where i've made my wife buy me those mop crumbs, is still spamming her. Thanks me)

[​IMG]

14. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hey Parkwood,
    The Rhythm Chief sounds great in either the neck or bridge position. The neck mount is a tiny rod screwed to the side of the neck so you can slide the pup back and forth to dial in your tone. The bridge mount clamps on the strings behind the bridge which is a much less elegant design. I think a neck mount would be sweet on your guitar IMHO. Also, jazz-style floater, screwed to the neck, would be pretty sweet as well.
    Rob

El Tele Lobo and Kriticaster like this.
  15. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

Worth thinking it over.
    I do not see this one as a jazz guitar honestly, or period correct construction. The initial plan was a p90, but a surface mount.

16. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

Ok, the board is going to have finish, therefore supposed to be grainfilled.

[​IMG]

Sanded back and sealed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I love that shellac sealer. It makes things so much easier

[​IMG]

El Tele Lobo, djh22, MM73 and 8 others like this.
  17. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

that neck is a thing of absolute beauty. i love this thread - keep the updates coming :)

tintag27 and craigh9 like this.
  18. parkwood

parkwood Tele-Meister

Thank you Scottser)

oh, and board's radius is 7.25. Just because it's not seen often nowadays

Kriticaster likes this.
  19. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Afflicted

Still watching intently, parkwood.

20. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

IM000708.JPG

This pup, still available from GFS is surface mount and is wound EXACTLY like a P90 and sounds great. The white inset is also available in black.GFS used to have sound files of it, if not let me know know and I have one of me playing this one, after a fashion lol

Kriticaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.