Old Fashioned drink recipe-do you have one?

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
Crafted up a couple last night so we could sit outside and enjoy the weather (it was 57 degrees)

52131978330_7be2113d4d_k.jpg

Powdog

Tele-Meister
I’ll never understand the sugar cube purists. The drink is called an Old Fashioned because it’s very old! It predates things like refrigeration, anti-caking agents, etc. Sugar was sold in cubes back in the day because there was no way to sell a bag of granulated sugar like we’re used to today without it turning into a solid brick from humidity. Early bartenders used sugar cubes because they had no other option.

But, come on, there is no earthly reason to use sugar cubes in the year of our lord 2022 other that hipster affectation. Use simple syrup like a civilized human being.
The thing I love about an Old Fashioned is that it’s an evolving cocktail. I like to use a brown sugar cube and clear ice so that each sip is a little different. Stronger at the beginning and sweeter toward the end. A cube muddled with Angostura and a little water followed by two shots of (this week) Frey Rye. I don’t add fruit to the drink but will squeeze an orange peel over the top to express the oil. Cherries are for Manhattans and limes are for margaritas. Spritz the glass first with absinthe and you got yourself a Sazerac.

bsman

Friend of Leo's
Regardless of the specifics of liquor used, anybody not muddling the fruit, bitters, and sugar before adding it isn't making an old fashioned...

1654699338602.png

phart

TDPRI Member
The thing I love about an Old Fashioned is that it’s an evolving cocktail. I like to use a brown sugar cube and clear ice so that each sip is a little different. Stronger at the beginning and sweeter toward the end. A cube muddled with Angostura and a little water followed by two shots of (this week) Frey Rye. I don’t add fruit to the drink but will squeeze an orange peel over the top to express the oil. Cherries are for Manhattans and limes are for margaritas. Spritz the glass first with absinthe and you got yourself a Sazerac.
Hey, I get that and more power to you, but it ain’t for me. A drink like you describe for me is right up there with extra pulp oj and the sludge at the bottom of French press coffee on the list of things that aficionados love but I find viscerally unappealing

Powdog

Tele-Meister
Hey, I get that and more power to you, but it ain’t for me. A drink like you describe for me is right up there with extra pulp oj and the sludge at the bottom of French press coffee on the list of things that aficionados love but I find viscerally unappealing
Well, we’re definitely on the same page regarding OJ pulp and French Press sludge.