Old Fashioned drink recipe-do you have one?

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I use to order Scotch Old Fashions in my business trip & client dinner days. If I go out to diner with old colleagues, it is usually Dewer's and water now. Sounds like an old man's drink.:)

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
I tsp sugar, 1 maraschino cherry, 1 thick orange slice, 4 dashes of Angostura bitters and a splash of club soda. Mash with a mallet and muddle it till all the fruit juices combine. Add 2oz of Crown Royal, ice to fill a rocks glass and a little splash of club soda on top. Stir and drink. mmmmmm

Smokin OP

Tele-Afflicted
No but my son-in law does. And we just got back from the Keys and my brother and I ordered one at every bar we stopped at, didn't have a bad one but some were better than others.

Old Plank

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
My Dad liked Manhattans, and I do too ... bourbon (Makers, Knob Creek, Bulliet; all good), vermouth 1/3 amt. of the bourbon, bitters, a few maraschinos and a few drops of their 'juice' ... stirred or shaken w/ice.

Not sure if this one is old-fashioned, but a Dark and Stormy, Mmmm ... spicy hot ginger beer and dark rum.

mjcyates

Tele-Holic
Ad Free Member
I love an Old Fashioned, don't really have any recipes so not much help. For those of you into essential oils and wanting to avoid sugar, Bourbon of choice, 1 Stevia, 2 drops Doterra Wild Orange, couple dashes of bitters of choice, a little ice, makes a nice beverage.

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
Shot of bourbon. Beer back.

Repeat as necessary until staggering and slurring. 6-8 repetitions ought to do it. I used to call this little recipe a "Tuesday Night."

Then I quit drinking about a year and a half ago.

old soul

Tele-Holic
I'll see if I can find a recipe for 'clam sweat' too.
Pretty much grapefruit sports drink & clam juice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220516-212444_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220516-212444_Chrome.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 6

bendercaster

Tele-Afflicted
This is the recipe I learned from my favorite bar tender:
1 oz home made simple syrup
2 dashes angostura bitters
1 big molded ice cube
Fill the glass with a higher proof bourbon
Stir that giant ice cube at least 10 times, and express some oil from an orange peel over the drink.

I don't do sugar anymore, so now instead of the simple syrup I mix the bitters and a part of a monk fruit or stevia packet with some water. I muddle that around with the big ice cube and then fill with bourbon and give it a good stir.

drf64

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Alcohol threads here go off the rails quickly. You ask about old fashioned recipes and you get beer, gin and Manhattan replies. Some people’s kids! I love Rusty Nails, but this is an old fashioned thread, homies!

Last edited:

Wheelhouse

Tele-Meister
As a Wisconsinite, I always find it disturbing to see scotch or bourbon referred to with an Old Fashioned. I'm pretty sure the brandy old fashioned is an official beverage in Wisconsin. Here's the official recipe from Korbel:

OLD FASHIONED​

1 1⁄2 oz Korbel California Brandy
2 dashes Angostura® Bitters
1 tsp. Sugar / simple sugar
1 Orange slice
Top off With lemon-lime soda
1 Cherry
Muddle the sugar with the bitters and orange slice in the bottom of an old-fashioned glass. Add Korbel California Brandy and some ice cubes. Stir and garnish with orange slice and cherry.

I don't know how much brandy Korbel makes, but I'm pretty sure Wisconsin buys it all. ;)

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
ok, OP

old fashioned

clear ice
good rye whiskey
bitters on hand
teaspoon syrup
teaspoon blood orange juice
hefty piece of blood orange rind

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
Old Fashioned and Manhattan are just variations on the same theme.

I went on a "find the perfect Manhattan" kick a year or so ago. I discovered several things:

Use your favorite sippin' whiskey. Makes no difference what the brand is as long as you like it.

I found I like Peychaud bitters better than Angostura...but eventually found a crazy Vermouth that did away with any need for bitters at all. It is "Knight Gabriello Amaro Di Toscana"...amazing stuff. I tried it straight...not for the faint hearted. It has a bitter, eye-crossing time-bomb that goes off in your mouth about 10sec after tossing it back. Makes the best mixer though...and no need for bitters.

I went thru a half-dozen types of cherries but settled on "Bada Bing" maraschino cherries. I like to add a tsp of the syrup to the glass.

univibed

NEW MEMBER!
I'm a bartender and I've made hundreds of these, and have drank a few too.
Zest an orange into an Old Fashioned glass until the insides of the glass are coated with oil from the peel
1/4 to 1/2 oz. of 1:1 simple syrup goes into the glass
add 4 or 5 dashes Angostura bitters to the sugar and stir with a small bar spoon
add 2oz. rye or bourbon and stir lightly a few times
add ice (adding the ice last is unusual, but preferred in this case)
garnish with orange peel and Luxardo cherry
There are many ways to make an Old Fashioned. This recipe is a traditional one and generally meets the expectations of cocktail bar patrons in my experience.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
As a Wisconsinite, I always find it disturbing to see scotch or bourbon referred to with an Old Fashioned. I'm pretty sure the brandy old fashioned is an official beverage in Wisconsin. Here's the official recipe from Korbel:

OLD FASHIONED​

1 1⁄2 oz Korbel California Brandy
2 dashes Angostura® Bitters
1 tsp. Sugar / simple sugar
1 Orange slice
Top off With lemon-lime soda
1 Cherry
Muddle the sugar with the bitters and orange slice in the bottom of an old-fashioned glass. Add Korbel California Brandy and some ice cubes. Stir and garnish with orange slice and cherry.

I don't know how much brandy Korbel makes, but I'm pretty sure Wisconsin buys it all. ;)
Blew my mind when I had an old-fashioned the Wisconsin way. I thought it was rye only by law. Anyway it works. Love 'em just as much with brandy and have had many in your great state. Bourbon... works less well for me, and I honestly can't imagine one with Scotch, especially an Islay or really any single.