Old Fashioned drink recipe-do you have one?

Boxla

Tele-Holic
I love a good Old Fashioned and really love bourbon on the rocks. Someone made me an Old Fashioned this past weekend with brown sugar syrup vs regular or anything else. The drink was incredible and they put the blame on the homemade brown sugar simple syrup. I shall be making my own this week to use.

Just curious if anyone else has a favorite Old Fashioned recipe? Particularly, what bitters do you like to use. I normally use aromatic and a dash of some other bitters, I have several to choose from. A friend of mine always uses black walnut bitters and claims it makes his great, which there are.

As far as the bourbon, I love so many and use so many. That could be more of a rabbit hole, but I figure bitters, cherries and syrup or sugar can be a little easier to wrap arms around.

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
Rye whiskey
4 dashes of bitters
1 cube raw brown sugar
Teaspoon of Lake Michigan water
Orange peel
3 Armena cherries (in syrup)
Chunk of ice

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I love a good Old Fashioned and really love bourbon on the rocks. Someone made me an Old Fashioned this past weekend with brown sugar syrup vs regular or anything else. The drink was incredible and they put the blame on the homemade brown sugar simple syrup. I shall be making my own this week to use.

Just curious if anyone else has a favorite Old Fashioned recipe? Particularly, what bitters do you like to use. I normally use aromatic and a dash of some other bitters, I have several to choose from. A friend of mine always uses black walnut bitters and claims it makes his great, which there are.

As far as the bourbon, I love so many and use so many. That could be more of a rabbit hole, but I figure bitters, cherries and syrup or sugar can be a little easier to wrap arms around.
Kind of a "kissing cousin" drink to your Old Fashion.....for several years now my drink of choice has (exclusively) been a Manhattan....but made with Brandy. So, three parts Brandy, one part Sweet Vermouth, and two or three dashes of Bitters. (usually orange Bitters, although I've used Mocha, Aromatic, and lemon Bitters) served "on the rocks". Unlike a fancy-schmancy bar or lounge, I have mine in a rocks glass instead of sissy stemware.
I'm now gonna look for Black Walnut Bitters.....sounds interesting. ;)
To @Engine Swap ......Lake Michigan water????? Is that like a vaccination or something? ;)

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Just curious if anyone else has a favorite Old Fashioned recipe? Particularly, what bitters do you like to use. t I figure bitters, cherries and syrup or sugar can be a little easier to wrap arms around.
My Recipe:

2 ounces Angels Envy Bourbon
1 Sugar Cube (Simple Syrup Can Be Used)
1/2 Teaspoon of Water
2 dashes Angostura Bitters
Orange Peel
Luxardo Maraschino Cherries

Add the Sugar and Bitters to a rocks glass, and Mull it - then add the Water, and stir until the Sugar/Bitters is Blended.
Fill the glass with large ice cubes, add the bourbon, and gently stir to combine.
Express the oil of the Orange Peel (If you can) over the glass - then Garnish the drink.

In General I'm open to other Bitters - but I think Angostura Bitters are best and a good price - all the fancy Bitters are stupid expensive.
Bourbon can be anything really - Bullet, Buffalo Trace, Makers Mark Cast Strength, Four Roses Single Barrel or even Woodford Reserve will work just fine - mostly since you are blending the sweet and bitter.

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
My recipe for an Old Fashioned is this:

Go down the road to the bar near my house. Order an Old Fashioned. Pay for it, and tip the bartender. Drink.
If you are lazy and want to go to bars/Road houses - I know I'm not and don't want to.

Mr. St. Paul

Tele-Holic
2 ounces bourbon or rye (depending on my mood/current inventory)
2 bar spoons of simple syrup
4 dashes of Peychaud's bitters
add ice; stir
garnish with orange peel

tomasz

Tele-Holic
I like my old fashioned with Fee Brothers Walnut bitters and a dash of Angostura. Since I love peat, my choice of whiskey would be an Ardbeg, Bowmore, Coal Ila, or a Laphroaig. I'm a simple man, but enjoy a complex taste. Maple syrup preferably over cane sugar.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Periodically Liber & Co makes a pecan bitter syrup that makes a fantastic old fashioned.

Bourbon choice is up to you. I have been nursing some Garrison lately and have a couple others in the wing when that’s gone. I love an old fashioned. Not too much sweetness for me but my wife likes it sweet.