Old Faithful Boss RV-3 Bit The Dust Yesterday

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Platefire, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  2. Platefire

Well after all the sniffing around the newer Reverb/Delays, I found a decent e-bay deal on another RV3 and went for it.

What I learned with all the sniffing is I really like the EarthQuaker Dispatch Master
    Reverb/Delay and almost got one from GC last Thursday. They offered 20% off on a new V2 and I said OK. They were going to ship it to my house free. Turns out when they tried to process the transaction and it wouldn't process the discount. Upon checking the reason, they said EarthQuacker as a company doesn't offer special discounts to dealers? So I backed out after the discount dried up.

Also even though a Reverb only peal I was kind of impressed by the Hall of Fame V2 with the ability to use the on/off switch as an expression pedal. Kind of hard to imagine how well that would work in real life with a heavy foot like mine but I was impressed with the you tube demos I saw.
    Platefire

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  3. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Happy RV-3 N.P.D!

4. Platefire

Thanks! I really didn't realize the RV3 was as popular as it is until I started pricing them. They are a popular pedal even though they haven't made them in years. I think the reason is they have more flexibility in delay/reverb combined than even the RV-6 or any other RV version. Correct me if I'm wrong! I think Boss should make a RI of this one. Platefire

5. Platefire

Got my new used RV3 in this morning and just run it through its paces to make sure everything is ok.
    Wow! that just refreshed my memory on why this one is still so popular. It has some beautiful sounds and effective adjustments to control it by. It may not have the Luscious spaces some of the newer pedals have but definitely has the meat and potatoes that most musicians need to play their stuff! When all the old RV3's finally play out, guess I'll have to move on then:>) Platefire

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  6. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats! Happy NPD.

7. Platefire

Thanks, and I think I got a good deal for $85---just price um!

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  8. Kayle McGuire

Kayle McGuire Tele-Meister

Check out the Keeley Caverns! Delay and reverb in one pedal... can be used together or separately! I think it would be perfect for you.

9. Platefire

Well, since I already just bought another used RV3, I'll be living with that until me or it passes:>) With the old one for parts I may be able to perform any necessary life saving transplants along the way---to the pedal that is! Platefire

10. edipo

edipo Tele-Meister

I’ve relied on a RV-3 for 18 years now. It’s fantastic and I don’t think there’s another one that sounds like it.

11. Platefire

Yeah, I agree. For a pedal that hasn't been produced since 2002(16 Years ago) the cheapest on e-bay I saw just a few minuets ago was a "Buy it now" $120 including shipping. Most of them was from $125 to $250. There is a reason they are still this high---demand!

12. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I have had this pedal and liked it a lot. I see you went with the RV-3 again, congrats on that.

I currently run a Red Panda Context which has a great delay/reverb section on it. My amp's effects loop runs at line level which means I can't use Boss pedals in the loop, or they will distort - they can't handle that hot of a signal.

Congrats again on your New Old RV-3!!

13. Platefire

I am just starting to experiment will large Spacious Reverbs/delays on the RV3 for certain parts which I haven't done before. It's kind of nice on slowed down parts accompanied by vol swells. Normally I just use the meat and potatoes lite reverb and short slap back delay but if this use expands, I might look at other pedals and on the other hand the RV3 might handle it just fine? Well see! Platefire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.