Old Eric Clapton vs. Older Eric Clapton

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by studio, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

2. rrben29

rrben29 TDPRI Member

I personally love most of the different version's of Clapton for various reasons..

I love the 90's Clapton the most...he was on fire more consistently during that time period IMO. His concert at Hyde Park was just straight up amazing..his ES335 tones were really scorching on that one. Oh and his unplugged album was highly influential on my playing.

I love the Cream and John Mayall "Beano" era clapton for the sheer passion and experimental approach.

The 70's/ JJ Cale songboy Clapton was for sure a step away from the guitar god/guitar solo frenzy clapton we are used to...but I'm glad he went through that phase...it really changed his songwriting style for the better. ( in my opinion if he wouldn't have went through this phase.. the "Journeyman" album wouldn't have turned out the way it would have.)

Didn't really care for the chorus pedal using clapton, tone wise that is. His tone sounded too processed for me, especially for the blues. Loved his playing on all the "lethal weapon" soundtracks..just prefer the chorus being used in moderation not on everything. Hated his tone on "Crossroads - Live at Montreux"..

He is older now, but I do like his midboost/tbx/tweed tone as well. He may not have the passion he did back then, but when he's on fire...he's on FIRE. ( for example his performance of "Double Trouble" and "Voodoo Chile" at Madison Square Garden with Steve Winwood.

3. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

Max Street,

Ya, that is a killer song, in the first minute he seems to be pretty sloppy, but as soon as he starts singing, it is just great, and the slide tone is so smooth.

rrben,

Very nice summery of some of his best tones, I do like the fairly recent album of him and BB King, some VERY tasteful playing there.

-H

4. Maxwell Street

For me, the sparsity of those opening notes, the space in-between, the mild distortion, sets the tone for what's to come...it's laid back yet dirty. Crank it on a real stereo, powerful...

5. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

Just looking through my discography, I totally forgot about the Royal Albert Music Hall shows that he put out on 24 Nights.

Whether it is because of the orchestra, or his mood at the RAMH, he is on fire for most of those shows.

Even some of his late 80's early 90's stuff got a bit of a dust up, and he was really hitting the groove with the band, very tight.

~syf

6. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

Beautiful slide solo by Clapton!

7. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

If you've read his recent interview(s), he talks about his admiration for these musicians, and really downplays his own achievements. He says that he is specifically exposing these players because of their important contributions to the blues, and music in general. Basically, we need to know about, and hear, them.

I think he is acting much like a musicologist such as the Lomax's and John Hammond, Alan Wilson etc., in bringing these people to light. He also knows because of his fame and intergrity, he will be taken seriously.

8. Dan The Man

Dan The Man Tele-Meister

I love this song so much I appear to be posting it twice!!!:lol: Bobby & EC nail it, apparently they rehearsed the song just once prior to the recording, just to remind themselves how it went I guess!!

Clapton continues to be a huge influence to me. In all honesty I like all his stuff, but I think his voice now sounds as good as it ever has. I was watching the new DVD just released that documents his 2013/14 tour of Japan and the far east and realised just how good a rhythm guitarist he is also.

9. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

Hear hear! I love that Ronnie Lane documentary, great stuff.

As a very general observation, I find Clapton's playing most inspired when he's collaborating with someone he really admires or cares about. I love the Blind Faith album, I love his work with George Harrison over the years.

10. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

I'm kinda the odd man out here...

I like Clapton the band member much more than Clapton the band leader. Don't ask why. I guess his work in the Bluesbreakers and Cream just hits the mark for me where as his Post-Cream work just doesn't. I like the odd song here or there, but I don't own any of his solo work. I do however have all of his work with Mayall and Cream on my MP3 player, so, there ya go...

11. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

It seems not a lot of people know this album from 1975, but I bought this as a "delete" on vinyl originally....I believe it was a pressing from Holland. It's a bit of a mix bag of musical styles from blues, to gospel and reggae. There's a few real gems on on it such as this one

This one is straight up R&R with a great swing

12. Jebrone Lames

Jebrone Lames Banned

He peaked out at Derek & The Dominoes but, that's a hell of a peak. His seems to have gone back to the old "women tone" sans strat. I've seen him live in the 80's touring on his Live in Japan album and he brought out Albert Lee and one of the Doobie Brothers guitarist to jam with him through half the show.
    It was a great show, but within a few years I lost interest in most of his music.

13. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

He's also been saying recently that he no longer enjoys touring. That it has become a terrible chore and he wants to soon stop, just doing the occasional one off, concert and special shows.

He even stated that when he's not touring, he rarely picks up the guitar... and he now enjoys staying home with his family.

14. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

461 is my favourite of his solo albums. There's a delicacy and finesse in his playing that really appeals to me and the production is just perfect.

The telling of Dylan's Don't Think Twice doesn't do it for me at all. He turns a light, biting piece into a blues trudge. Yes his playing is supremely proficient but it doesn't do anything for the song.

Now this one on the other hand...

15. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Even if we disagree on "Don't Think Twice ...", we can certainly agree on "461 Ocean Boulevard" - great album.

Or when he covers someone he admires. His contribution to the Elton John/Bernie Taupin tribute album "Two Rooms", is one of my all-time Clapton favorites. Here he takes a gospel inspired Elton song - one of Elton's best IMO - and gives it a Little Feat groove. And his guitar solo reaches the stratosphere!

16. bobsway

bobsway Tele-Afflicted

E.C. = best live show I've seen.
    EVER!!!

17. Maxwell Street

Road to Escondido...

18. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

So many great EC tracks being aired here but one of my favs is 'Can't Hold Out'. Just love the guitar tone - rhythm and slide - nasal and throaty all at the same time. Love playing this song live too. Also love Motherless Children from that album for the same reason. 461 was one of the first albums I bought where I understood what the blues was about.

And there's some good songs on 'Theres One in Every Crowd'

19. Maxwell Street

20. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

I don't like his singing much but i prefer the old, more honest style of singing. It at least had the virtue of charm. The faux guttural bluesy thing he does sounds so much like a put on to me. It doesn't make him sound "soulful" or "authentic" but just fake.

A hero of my youth but never one of my favorite singers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.