Old "Drop Bottom" Canvas Cases - Preservation?

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Telekarster, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Hey all! So... I have one of those old "drop bottom", canvas covered "chip board", cases circa 1900's tha'ts often seen with old instruments of that period. I don't use it of course, but it came with my 1914 L-1 when I bought it years ago. I would like to keep the original case preserved from further degredation. The case is in overall good condition and fairly stable, considering its age, but the canvas could use a good cleaning and protection if possible. I know how to preserve/protect leather but as far as the canvas board stuff, I'm sort of at a loss. Just not sure what I could/should use if anything at all. I've searched and searched trying to find some recommendations but outside of calling the Smithsonian or something, I haven't been able to find any info on this topic. Does anyone out here have some suggestions/experience on this?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

This is something I found.....I've never done it, so someone with greater knowledge may say DON'T....but it sounds good to me.
    https://buffalojackson.com/blogs/insight/how-to-rewax-a-canvas-bag

3. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Thank you. That is an interesting idea. I do have some "Butcher's paste wax" that was recommended to me by a conservator years ago for antique furniture finishes... I'll need to get it out and see what it says to use it on. Thanks for the idea though! Hoping someone who's dealt with this sort of thing before might see this and chime in too. Appreciate it!

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.