Old Dogs, When do You Say When?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Wallo Tweed, Nov 26, 2018.

1. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Meister

You'll know when you see the constant pain in his eyes are unrelenting, but letting go is one of the hardest things to do even though it's humane.

It's not easy but neither is life!

Wallo Tweed and robinsong like this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

That's the rub right there. Toto a few years back went into a funk during the fourth of July celebrations that never seem to end now. He used to not be afraid of the fireworks, but his hearing was very sensitive and the noise which just went on and on got to him. He lost weight, wouldn't eat, so I took him to the vet. The vet gave him a shot and some pills, the noise had abated, and he came back to his old self. Had I have had him put down, I would have lost several years of companionship with him. Truth be known, when he did start downhill for the final time, I kept getting new medicine for him, and he would respond for a while, then start going downhill again. He finally got to where he would only eat something one time, then he wouldn't eat it again. I spent hours going to the store buying stuff to try to entice him to eat. I force fed him for a while, but I finally realized his time was just at hand. Still, while they live there is hope.

Slowpoke, Wallo Tweed and robinsong like this.
  3. robinsong

robinsong Tele-Meister

My wife and I are going through this same thing. Our boy Amos is a 15 year old Schnauzer/Poodle mix. He is like a child to us he has been such a good and loyal dog. He was diagnosed with Lymphoma in August and has been on prednisone since then. We kept telling ourselves he was improving but I think it was just slowing down the cancer. It is so hard to know at what stage he is at. I don’t want to make him prolong his suffering just so we can have him in our life longer. We have called a vet to come to our home this Thursday to euthanize him. It has been so hard watching him deteriorate day by day that we are having a hard time remembering what a joy life was to him and not seeing him lift that little once proud tail and wag it. Neither one of us feels confidant in our decision, but we also don’t want him suffering and being so concerned with just surviving that he doesn’t show us his pain. I definitely feel for you. I think you have to do whatever feels right for you. They say a dog gives you the best days of your life and the worst day. Take care and know how much he loves you and that he knows how much you love him.

Greggorios, Wallo Tweed and Toto'sDad like this.
  4. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

Just last week,I was thinking about my pit mix Lady, I lost in July after 10 years at my side.I would so much love just 5 minutes with her one last time,and she ran up to me in a dream that week,and I got to be with her for a few seconds.Such a hard thing to let these amazing,loyal,happy friends go.
    So hard to be the one who has to make the decision,that its that time.Someone posted above that a little to early is better than a little too late,and that made me feel a little better.Lady had masses in her lungs and spleen and they found blood in her chest cavity.She had taken to just standing in the yard for an hour just staring around,then lie down in the tall grass or bushes.I feel for all of you going through these tough times and decisions,and thank you for sharing them here.

Wallo Tweed, Toto'sDad and robinsong like this.
  5. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

We had our son's 14 year old Lab cross for two months in the fall. His longtime doggy day care wouldn't take him anymore. Too old.He's around 85 pounds. My son has him on a diet of Origen Senior dried dog food.

Last spring my son thought he was going to have to put him down. His hips were so bad that the dog could hardly walk.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  6. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

There are vets that will come to your house to do it, or at least there used to be. We did it that way for one of our dogs many years ago. Check with your regular vet. They may know someone willing to do it.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  7. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Continued. Don't know what happened above.

My son started adding 0.7 ml of CBD oil with THC on a 1:1 ratio twice a day to his dried food. This has given the dog a new lease on life. His running days are over and his hips are a little wobbly but he sure likes being outside in the yard a half dozen times a day, just walking around checking things out. He sleeps quite a bit. His plumbing is working fine. The vet says he's not in pain. We have a nine year old Yorkiepoo and they get along fine. This is a dog that has spent his life around people so he's really well socialized. He's a house dog and he likes being around the family. He probably won't live too much longer but he's had a darn good life.

Greggorios, Wallo Tweed and robinsong like this.
  8. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

From the sound of it, I think you're there. I think my vet would agree. I personally don't want to be a living science experiment when I come to the end, and I don't think my dog does either.

Wallo Tweed, Toto'sDad and robinsong like this.
  9. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

Don't forget chondroitin glucosamine Try a low dose, it worked on my cousin old shep hearing frisbee dog. It was the difference of getting up some as opposed to hardly. WE can make theri later days more happy than we can ours, but they can't tell us exactly how they feel. You must interpret.

10. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

If you have the slightest closeness/bond to your pet you will know when it’s time AND not when it’s past time

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  11. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

You bet! But this time I'm buying.
    Anything you want off the dollar menu.:) blob.jpg blob.jpg blob.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  12. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

I’m sorry you’re going thru this Wallo.

Lost my Standard Poodle Ted almost a year ago, I still look for him everyday.

I’m thinking your friend will tell you when it’s time.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  13. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I get to “take care” of my eldests’ (Silver/Black) Golden Doodle. I warned her not to get the dog. The dog is only eight months old, but, I am now so attached it makes me sad... I have been to the end of the story so many times my chin is quivering.

Wallo Tweed and robinsong like this.
  14. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I'm really sorry for the OP, making a decision like this is so hard to do. In the end you are only putting off the inevitable and the longer it drags on the worse he will get, and the guiltier you will feel for letting him suffer in pain. I had to do the same with 2 dogs within a year, the grief you feel is awful, but now looking back I'm glad I made the choice to take away their suffering, there is nothing shameful about that, and it at the very least let's them pass away with their dignity intact.

Wallo Tweed and Slowpoke like this.
  15. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

I lost my yellow Lab to cancer almost two years ago. He had been diagnosed with cancer a few months earlier, and we knew his time would be limited. I had to help him into bed for the last two months, but he was still happy and interested in the world, and always excited for walk time until his last week or so. Then one night I had to carry him down the stairs for his bathroom break and he wouldn't come to bed when called, though he whined and looked down the hall. We called the vet the next day. We just knew that losing mobility was our sign that it was time, and that he would be greatly upset if he started having accidents in the house. He tolerated being carried, but I could tell it was just to make me happy.

We got our current black Lab mix about two months before he passed (she was 8 months old and a rescue pup), and he took it on himself to teach her how to dog. He taught her fetch by showing her how. He showed her that laying down while I cook breakfast will earn a taste of bacon or even an egg if you're super good. Don't stand at the table and mooch, lay down in the doorway. The couch is ok for naps, but leave the humans room. No, the humans aren't gone forever, they'll be back soon so lay in the sun and wait. She taught him how to play keep away and chase. It almost felt like at the end he was satisfied she would take care of us and decided it was his time.

16. Chinacat

Chinacat TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

I'm very sorry you're going through this. The price of years of love is the devastation at the end. The time comes when he is in distress and there is no likelihood of a recovery. Best wishes to you and your dog.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  17. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

So sorry. Don't wait too long and let them suffer. If you have a vet you trust, consult with them. It is the last gift you can give them to not allow them to suffer. Be there with them when it happens. Put down the best dog I ever had a year ago next week. She let me know she was done. Sat on the floor with her while they administered the dose. She never took her eyes off of me and I could tell she was appreciative. She knew I was hurting from it all.

Wallo Tweed and Slowpoke like this.
  18. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

I had a big older Dalmatian that could no longer control his bowel movements. I had to clean him every morning and wash his bed. I brought to him to the vet and tried a number of things but nothing worked.

He was limited to the tiled areas of the house, and outside. He moved little (he never liked moving much anyway).

He was not a happy camper. Nor, to be honest, was I.

After a while, it was time to have him put down, end his life.

It was just time.

Before he showed up, an eternity had passed. After he was gone, another eternity of time commenced. Another year (or less) of a fairly poor quality of life would change none of that. The pain we felt at his passing would be there regardless of when it happened.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  19. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

I had a Black Lab that made it to 16 yo but, the last two were rough. I think we knew it was the right time because she was calm when we got her in the car. One of the worst calls to have to make. Best wishes.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  20. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

When your best friend is in constant Pain, has no chance of getting better and, is not enjoying Life, time to let them go.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.