old DOD pedals (1980-1990)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Gabriel_volny, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Gabriel_volny

Gabriel_volny TDPRI Member

Hey!

someone had any experience with old DOD pedals?
    I want to know how good they are to put one in my board, I heard that they was a good option in his age and I saw some of they here in Brazil.

Would you like to share your experience with me?

2. ValDiaz

ValDiaz Tele-Holic

Hey Gabriel. Which pedals were you considering? There's a couple of different versions of the DOD 250 overdrive - the 'grey chip' version is highly regarded, not so sure about the other one.

I know the compressor is popular with simonsp who's a frequent poster around here & knows what he's talking about on that particular subject. They also made the Milkbox compressor which is something of a cult favourite.

I have the recent reissue of the DOD 250 & it's a great pedal. If you can buy a few at a decent price I say go for it. Good luck!

3. Gabriel_volny

Hy ValDiaz!

I'm interested in light/medium gain overdrives, analog chorus, vibrato (i love this mod a lot!) compressors and filters.

I've heard a lot of goods about that milkbox but all my experiences with compressor was traumatic...

4. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

5. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

I have a few of the old DOD pedals. I'm not versed in the history or the order of release etc. but the ones I've liked most have been the series that came out in a simple case like these.

dods.jpg

If you are going for the OD250, I would go for the most recent reissue. It has 9v Boss style power and LED and also has more gain available than the older version pictured here which is (I think) a 90's version. As ValDiaz says, the Grey box version is very highly regarded (and very costly usually) but as I understand it, the latest reissue is a copy of that Grey box version and uses the same chip that makes the Grey so appealing.

I've sung the praises of the 280 Compressor many times so I'll just say that if you are looking for extreme compression as an effect, this is the one to get. The 280 has also been reissued recently, again with 9v and LED. It isn't quite the same as the older Orange box version but is still a very good compressor, probably better for most players. It still has a lot of compression available but not quite as much as the old orange version. It also has a lot of gain on tap and has a nice sparkly high end, it's a very nice comp.

The other one in the picture, the Mini-Chorus 460, is another old one. I've only had this a short time and it's not going to replace my Boss DC-2 anytime but it has it's own sound and actually can do a vibe sound with the rate knob turned up. It has quite a brash sound, the lag between the chorused notes is very noticeable. I like it but it might not be to everyone's taste.

Another excellent pedal from this series is the DOD 201 Phasor. It's a simple 2 stage phase and it's very like the mxr Phase 45. Again, this one has been reissued recently and is an excellent 'always on' phaser to give your sound some polish.

One of the most sought after pedals from that old series is the DOD 440 Envelope Filter (like an auto wah). It has also been recently rereleased with 9v and LED. The originals are very sought after and costly. I've not played one but I do have the recent reissue and, like all the recent reissues, it sounds excellent. It's very easy to dial it in to your pickups and once you've got the hang of it, it can make lots of different sounds.

Digitech have done a great job of bringing the old DOD line back to life and they've recently bought out some more.

The other DOD's (and there are loads of them) I don't know much about other than the design isn't that great and hasn't aged well like the ones above. The plastic battery compartment door is prone to getting lost and the one pedal I did have, the Phaser FX20, while sounding excellent (it's a thick, organic sound, quite remarkable actually, I've never heard another phaser quite like it) there was a lot of hissing in the background and the jack sockets were coming apart.
    hth

6. Gabriel_volny

Artdecade
    thanks! I'll look in that link, I hope to see some reviews about them!

Simonsp

Now I'm curious about these old 250/280! I'll try to found one to test and carry it home!

7. urizen

urizen Tele-Afflicted

Funny, there was a time when DOD stuff was looked down upon, but now they're making a resurgence (and values on originals are appreciating)---and Digitech is reviving (and "improving" on) the brand and some of the specific older designs/models; I've still got my old and original DFX94 on my board next to a Belle Epoch (and a metal-cased DanElectro Dan-Echo that does a killer lo-fi slapback), along with a number of other distortion and delay models stashed away (along with a useless original Snarling Dogs Blue Doo and Tweed D. Dog).

Effects are funny that way; you never know what'll come back, it seems.

8. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The Americas pedal site is the go to site for DOD.

I'm currently using a DOD FX50 Overdrive in front of a Rat. By itself I use it for some mild boost and grit to a more aggressive clean type leads. If that makes sense. And with the Rat it ands a little more of a hi-fi sound.

I also have a DOD FX60 Stereo Chorus. It was claimed as the poor mans Boss chorus at the time. Sometimes I run it in stereo with my AC15/Bandit combo. Big sound.

Both of these pedals are 1984 vintage.

Unless you change the fragile on/off switch. Go to Small Bear and get plenty of replacement switches. You might need them.

9. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

I had a DOD Phaser back in the early eighties. My friend had just gotten a BOSS BF-2 Flanger and I was really envious. Couldn't afford a flanger, so it was the DOD Phaser for me. It sounded OK. I traded it in the 1990s.

10. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

The DOD FXDelay90 is a good analog delay. I bought it new in the late 80's. I had the orange compressor and the blue stereo chorus from that vintage but they were too noisy for me. The delay is the only one that remains. Platefire

11. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Was this what the Phaser looked like? I don't remember if this series (the performer series) of pedals sounded good or not... I just remember the switches never worked, the power supplies were flakey and they were noisy. Of any DOD era - this was my least favorite.

Attached Files:

12. Monotremata

Monotremata Tele-Afflicted

Haha I stole those knobs off a broken DOD Flanger and threw em on my Rat since it was knobless when I got it!

I have a friend thats all about the old DOD stuff, weve both noticed the prices are starting to creep up on em now when we scour for em. Probably because of Digitechs revival. The Bifet preamp seems to be all the rage at the moment, and the prices for the old analog delay are off the charts now.

13. AlpineHillbilly

AlpineHillbilly TDPRI Member

I just picked up one of these DOD FX-50B with box and papers for $30 this past week.

It is pretty sweet. For a good portion of the range it has a very light touch, but from 4-the end of the DRIVE knob, it screams.

I like how you can still hear a good portion of the dry signal through it and it doesn't seem to dump your lows too much at all.

I just came from chugging through The Faces "Stay with Me" on an Epiphone SG 400 and it sounded fantastic. Does a great job fattening up my Tele and Strat too.

14. jaycoyoyo

jaycoyoyo Tele-Meister

I have a late-80s yellow OD-250 that I really like. It doesn't have the modern amenities, but the sound is great! It has the older 9VDC mini plug and doesn't have an LED. I still use it though.

15. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

Three I currently have are:

FX-25 Envelope Filter
    FX-70 Flanger
    OD-Preamp 250 Reissue

All are good solid effects, I want to pick up one of the old black Delays too. You can find older DOD stuff on the cheap sometimes if you sniff around.

16. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I still have my DOD Chorus pedal from the 80s (an FX60)... no problems ever, sounds great. I also have a Milkbox comp that is my favorite compressor ever. I've had a few other DODs as well... I hear the switches will fail, but so far, I've never experienced that on any of them.

17. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Just stay away from the Supra Distortion. One of the worst pedals ever. I know, I had one.

18. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

I still have an early 80s DOD EQ pedal that is kick butt.

+10000000 on the SupraDistortion :rolleyes:

19. McTeach

McTeach TDPRI Member

Gotta love 'em!

I've got four old DOD's from the 80's & 90's and I love 'em! I have the FX 102 Mystic Blues, the FX 53 Classic Tube, the FX 20-B Stereo Phaser, and the FX 25 Stereo Flanger. The Mystic Blues was my first pedal and is still my favorite ( I play blues lead), and it's the only pedal I ever actually bought brand new. The only pedals I have that are not DOD are an Arion octave and a tuner pedal. All my DOD's are metal cased and nearly indestructible. Only problem I ever had with any of them was having to re-solder the battery wire on the Classic Overdrive pedal. Since I went with a 15 watt all tube head, I don't use the overdrive pedals as much as I used to, but I still need them when I want that bluesey crunch at lower volume levels. I don't really use the Phaser and Flanger much with my style of playing, but I used to when I played more rock and country.

Attached Files:

20. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

So many gems in there. The FX25, FX52, FX90, FX 96, FX60/65/68, the FX15 the OD preamp 250. Good stuff.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.