Old brown Fender I just found. Should I keep it?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Steve327, Dec 22, 2012.

1. backporch guy

backporch guy Tele-Afflicted

Despite what your "brothers" on TDPRI are telling you, a good rule of thumb is : if you find something that's old and brown and says "Fender" on it, you should probably keep it.:p

2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Very cool.

Found a 1X15 1961 Brown Pro on CL a couple years ago for $300.

Of all the Brownface Fenders they made - I had to find my least favorite (not a 15" fan).

Sold it for considerably more than what I paid and occasionally miss the warble.

That Bandmaster ?

I'd keep that...:lol:

3. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Man I just don't get it. I see these kinds of posts on TDPRI from time to time so it gets me thinking that maybe I'll find a jewel at some garage sale or flea market or whatever so I go hunting and I never find ANYTHING!!!!

Congrats to you though, that is awesome.

4. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

What a find! How long was it left in the storage locker?

5. Steve327

Steve327 TDPRI Member

Long enough to be have the locker contents considered abandoned by whatever contract they had and they had the legal ability to sell the content off. I don't know enough about how long storage locker content gets liquidated due to non payment of rental fees.

6. Steve327

Steve327 TDPRI Member

Thanks! You want to know what is even more amazing?? The owner/manager (probably the same) of this storage facility claimed he took this amp to the local music store and the music store guy plugged it in and played it, said he thought it sounded great, but said his store could not sell used merchandise. especially in this condition since it was a little ragged and the amp had a little buzzing. He declined to offer the storage guy anything, so storage guy brings it back to put in their rent default auction.
    How many guitar stores out there do you think would send this amp back out the door if they could pick it up for a song??!!? This storage locker owner probably picked the one guitar store on the planet who wouldn't pounce on it.
    Amazing!

7. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Nice find!!!! There are at least 3 storage locker places within 5 miles of me and I've never seen or heard of any sales or auctions for any reason. Sounds like maybe the owner/s go through the contents first and cherry pick the sweet stuff. I would!

8. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The 3x10 Brown combos were made for a very brief period ,possibly a few in late 1959 and in 1960. By 1961 Bandmasters were piggybacks, a white tolex headwith oxblood grillcloth with a single 1x12 tone ring cab. This was also a brief incarnation, they quickly changed to 4 ohm OT and a 2x12 cabinet. There was also at least one brown tolex piggyback made it is shown in Tom Wheeler's Soul of Tone book.

9. OnlyVees

OnlyVees Tele-Meister

Wow, what an amazing find! Not sure I've ever seen a brown Bandmaster. And just noticed the odd speaker-arrangement; 2x10's on top of the amp, rather than the usual "triangle" of speakers like on a tweed 5E7.

10. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

I shouldn't have opened this thread... so much for wishes of goodwill at this time of the year ;)

11. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

Oh, boy, those amps were some REAL junk. Worst amp Fender ever made, which is why there are so few of 'em. Leo knew a dog when he made one. Tell you what, send it to me and I'll get it properly recycled for you.

12. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yup, that's the rule.

I'm crying.

13. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Anyone know the story behind Fender putting 3 speakers in these amps? Seems odd to me.

14. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

Brown 3x10 Bandmasters are rather rare and were only made from late 1959 to about mid-1960. They have the unusual center volume control common to the 5G* amps of that period. With 3x8 ohm speakers in parallel (2.6 ohms) one would expect to find a 2 or 4 ohm OT, but quite oddly Fender used an 8 ohm OT on them. There is some speculation that perhaps a late delivery of heads and cabinets for the "piggyback" style 1x12 Bandmaster amps that eventually followed in '61 caused Fender to do a limited run of the 3x10s to move out pre-assembled chassis, and not step on the Pro Amps' toes, leaving the 8 ohm OT. I don't buy this idea because in the brown / blonde amp era the Bandmaster, Concert, Pro & Super amps were essentially identical circuits. Pro used the later BF style single cap bias circuit, Super has a tube rectifier. The amps esentially differed only in their cabinets & speaker configurations and transformer pairings. So wrt the Bandmaster chassis, Fender could have just switched out the faceplates and used them as Pros. As is the case with my early '61 Bandmaster, it's not unusual to find a Bandmaster with a Pro-style chassis, etc., and most all of them have a blanked off socket hole for a tube rectifier. FWIW, any Concert, Pro or Super from the same time period has the same desireable 5 preamp tube circuit and reverse volume control. Great amps! The brown amp era is one of the most interesting of all in the history of Fender.

15. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Friend of Leo's

Wow! Great find!

16. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

Give it to me and I'll buy you an iOS guitar app to replace it :)

17. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Lucky dog, great find, unbelievable price.
    I've about decided that Brownface is my favorite fender sound.

18. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I see a 45216 OT in that amp. The tranny charts I have call that a 4 ohm OT, and it was used in the 5eE and 6G4 Supers. The 4 ohm 1848 OT was used in the earlier Supers, and I have made handwritten notations in the tranny chart out of the Funk book, in which the 5E7 BAndmaster's OT is not named but is listed as needing 2.6 ohms; and those notations indicate either the 45216 or the 1848 was used in the 5E7.....both 4 ohm trannies.
    The 6G7 BAndmasters that are listed in the chart call for the 45217, 8 ohm OT. I take it that these amps were the single-speaker tone ring cab piggybacks???
    Very interesting amp here.

19. fauxsuper

fauxsuper Tele-Afflicted

Yes, interesting indeed. I'm trying to factor in what it must sound like based on several other Fenders, since I don't ever recall hearing one of them. Based on all of that, it seems like it would sound great at a very usuable volume. Fender rated them at 30 watts, I beleive. I wonder if this is actual output, or Fender listing it as 30 watts to further distiguish it from the more expensive Concert?

I hope the OP gives us a full report when he's had the time to sort it out. :cool:

Does anybody know what the PULSE hole is for? Doesn't seem to be anything on the schematic?

20. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Clearly, this was meant for you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.