Old Beat Up Princeton

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Aerochris, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Aerochris

Aerochris TDPRI Member

Hi everyone. In the coming months I am going to be giving my son the Strat that was my first guitar that was given to me by my grandfather.
    My son and I recently finished a tweed super kit build that turned out great but it’s a little big for a bedroom amp.
    I would like to get him an older Princeton to go along with the Strat. Does anyone know of a broke down old Princeton? Maybe it has mechanical issues or isn’t working and he and I could repair it together? Brownface-Silverface. We wouldn't be too picky on year.
    Thank you for any help.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    RoscoeElegante and Greggorios like this.
  2. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Check on reverb.com. That would be your best source.

Greggorios and nojazzhere like this.
  3. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Princeton or Princeton Reverb? In brownface of course there's only the former, but in BF and SF there's a big difference between the two.

Aerochris likes this.
  4. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Sounds cool. You're a good dad. Princetons are back in vogue. So from a purely financial perspective, you might do better expanding your search.

5. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Good dad indeed. :)

The usual sources may not get you as many 'needs work' amps as you'd like. Can you run an 'in search of' ad on any local / regional CL, shopper, tradio, Facebook MB, etc.? Heh, I've never looked here -- do we have 'in search of' classifieds?

Greggorios and Aerochris like this.
  6. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Keep your eyes peeled, and check your local FB, CL, and Reverb daily.

Vintage amps that need work come up occasionally. Princetons are in high demand, however. So don't expect to get one on the cheap, working or not. If you don't mind venturing away from princetons, there are tons of other options out there for much cheaper.

I recently picked up a '70 MMB for $200. ~$100 for new parts (tubes, tube socket, caps/resistors, speaker, odds and ends for safety, etc...). A little elbow grease for some cab repair. Around $300 for a wonderful working vintage amp. The more I play it, the more I love it. There are many folks here with tons of knowledge on this and every other amp ever, who are more than happy to answer questions. :)

[​IMG]

Aerochris likes this.
  7. Aerochris

Aerochris TDPRI Member

We are not picky on this. We will take what we can find. :)

8. Aerochris

Aerochris TDPRI Member

Thank you. I am discovering the Princestons are back in vogue. But I'm still holding out hope.

9. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

"Old beat up Princeton"? That's so ten years ago.

The trend with desirable amps is their price range shifts. In other words junk is more valuable than it should be while the sky is the limit on the upper end.

Last "fixer" Princeton Reverb I bought was a late '70s chassis, no cabinet, no speaker, no reverb tank, no tubes, no transformers and it cost me $500. I can make it into a $1000 Princeton Reverb but it's a tight squeeze. Figure $200 for a cabinet, $50 for a speaker, another hundo or so for a reverb tank and tubes, for sure a hundo for transformers. I have mostly Mercury Magnetics for this one.

That's what's happening with "fixer" Princeton Reverbs.

Watch David Allen's (Allen Amps) site. He's still showing his 10% year end discount on kits. His Sweet Spot is a hot rodded Princeton Reverb. Way more custom than a '68 Custom! It's $949 for the chassis kit which puts it down around $850 with the discount.

The Chihuahua kit is $799, a little over $600 with the discount. A Chihuahua is a hot rodded Champ with reverb. Use a 6L6 tube... it will go toe to toe with a stock Princeton Reverb. It's approximately ten real watts with a 6L6 compared to 13 watts for a Princeton Reverb.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Greggorios likes this.
  10. Whatizitman

I do think that finding a well known and popular model amp for a project is a little harder, as they tend to already be in the hands of players and/or amp builders/techs. They don't tend to stay very long (or get sold), in project state, is what I'm saying.

But holy grails are out there! The more rocks you turn, the more likely you'll find what you're looking for! :cool:

Aerochris likes this.
  11. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

The more rocks I turn, the more grubs and pill bugs I find.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Gotta dig through the snow just to get to the rocks. The worms have tunneled down to get under the frost this time of year.

BobbyZ, GGardner and Whatizitman like this.
  12. Whatizitman

:D

To the OP, if an amp builder and part hunter like muchxs has to pay $500 for a project princeton, you need to know that it will be quite the grail quest to find, much less pay for. :eek:

13. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Why spend so much for a vintage fixer upper vs. building something from all new parts? What's the practical benefit?

14. Whatizitman

Resale.

15. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

You might consider vintage Ampeg. They can be found a lot cheaper. If you like Ampegs.

Mudman32 and BobbyZ like this.
  16. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

I think the ultimate bedroom amps are now twin reverbs. You can get them for a lot less $ than a Princeton, once you haul them in no more moving them around (“bedroom amp”) and they are way too much amp… but still sound very nice on “2”, possibly better than a Princeton on “5” (YMMV of course). Or: with the price differential, buy a very good attenuator!

Get him a twin ;D

(I’m only half joking… if I never had to move the amp, I’d consider this seriously. In Italy, where the vintage amps market is atrocious, I’ve seen silverface twins go for 650€, and TRRI for 700€ all day asking price… no PRRIs below 900€ and if you go for vintage ones, modded silverfaces go for 1500€+ and good ones are around 2000€)

BobbyZ and Whatizitman like this.
  17. Whatizitman

I think similarly. There are several twins in my area I've considered making offers on - already posted $500-600. I agree that they sound good a low volumes. And I only need to move it to my music room, and leave it there until I move. Or die, whichever comes first. Certainly not as bad as moving my wife's dresser.

BobbyZ and RadioFM74 like this.
  18. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

you've already built one, build another together.

play music!

19. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Given that you're already a successfully experienced builder..............?

Just Sayin'
    Gene

20. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

That is my thought as well. If it's going to be a player amp, why spend so much for a fixer-upper vintage amp?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.