Old 60s amps?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mbell75, Apr 5, 2017.

1. mbell75

mbell75 Tele-Meister

I love Jack White's tone on he first 3 WS albums where he used a Silvertone 1485 head and 6x10 cab with Jensen speakers. Anyone here have one? Also interested in the 1482 combo amp and others from that era with similar tone. What are some other good ones? Magnatones? Supros? Also, how hard is it to keep them maintained? lastly, are the Magnatone and Supro reproductions any good?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  2. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

I've played through a 1484, the little brother to the 1485, as well as a variety of other vintage Danelectro tube amps (Silverstone, Montgomery Wards Airline, etc) . Generally they can sound very cool, but they are a rats nest of wire inside and didn't use the best components. I'd say they're reliable if brought up to spec by a good tech, like any vintage amp.

Vintage Magnatone amps are expensive and relatively fragile, and if you brake the top of one of them with the handle molded in, you're a goner. Amazing vibrato on some of them.

Vintage Supro amps are similar to Danelectro amps in quality. A Thunderbolt is still an awesome amp.

Old Sano amps can be really cool. Similar vibe to Danelectro and Supro, but clean tones galore.

The Magnatone reissues are very high end boutique amps with very specific tones. One trick ponys that you love or hate.

Supro reissues are some of the greatest amps out there for the money. Especially considering build quality.

The biggest thing about old Danelectro amps is the fact that their cabinets were built like garbage. I'd take a cheap orphaned 1485 chassis over a mint 1485 head and cab for 4 times the dough.

The reverb on those amps is bizarre as well. Some dig it. Others hate it.

mbell75 likes this.
  3. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

Other guitarist in my band has a 1482, it sounds great, they are kind of cheaply built though, the cabinet is basically cardboard so they are somewhat prone to falling apart if they get damp. But it does sound good.

Telenut62, mbell75 and bparnell57 like this.
  4. mbell75

mbell75 Tele-Meister

Thanks to you both, great info. Is his 1482 loud enough to be heard in your band without being mic'd or run thru a PA?

5. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

Lots of great sleepers out there. Univox U75 is a killer amp, Guild, Gretsch (Valco), Klemt, Lectrolab, Harmony, Bogen, Lesmann. Some like Klemt are hard to find cheap but you might get lucky as its not well known. Stromberg Carlson, Massie, so many neat and often weird amps.

Dan R likes this.
  6. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

I agree with everything except the supro reissues being a good value. They are too close to the price of the actual vintage amps to make sense to me.

They to seem to go for reasonable prices used though...

7. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I had a Gretsch Valco. It sounded good. Two 10" Jensens.
    But it was delicate and literally about 1/3 of the time it simply wouldn't work.
    Seriously a simple ride in the car or year in the closet could fix it or render it silent.
    The reverb was in a cardboard box.
    In the great O'Henry tradition I sold it to finance a Gretsch Guitar that I will never hear through the Gretsch amp.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    t guitar floyd likes this.
  8. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

No I think you would really need the PA in that context.

1482.jpg

9. guitaradelic

guitaradelic Tele-Meister

Ampegs from the 60's are cool, had a Reverberocket 2 that I really liked, a lot.

BobbyZ and gatorfiend like this.
  10. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

I have a 70's Sano which is a great amp with 2x12 but it's cathode biased and cool compressed tone but not real loud. Now my new to me 66 Ampeg Gemini II is a real great amp especially with a 15" JBL installed. The Ampeg is a real keeper.
    Thanks John

gatorfiend and bparnell57 like this.
  11. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    I had a couple of Silvertone amps for about a week (both at the same time).. interesting amps but just not my thing at all.. sold within days after posting.... we all have the special sound we hear in our heads.... ; )

20160828_090120.jpg 20160828_091006.jpg

t guitar floyd likes this.
  12. mbell75

mbell75 Tele-Meister

Ah ok. So he doesn't rehearse with it? Or does he have it running thru a PA at rehearsal?

13. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I had an OAHU as a kid that kicked major butt.

Dan R likes this.
  14. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

I've had 4 old recordplayers with mic circuits, old pa's and hifi monoblocks. Some are jaw droppingly great. On the left much like a tweed deluxe, middle se el84 truly great without mods, and right se6L6 like tweed princeton on steroids.
    [​IMG]

Dan R likes this.
  15. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've had a bunch of fun funky amps. The ones I still have are a 1482, Thunderbolt, Gretsch Rex (by Magnatone, I think...8" speaker) and a Premier 76 suitcase, which is one of the coolest sounding amps anywhere.
    Most of the old oddballs sound lackluster at moderate volume and have an overdriven tone that you like or not.

bparnell57 likes this.
  16. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

No he inherited it along with a cool old Harmony from his Grandfather so in only gets used once in a while we use much more modern amps like this, its plenty loud.

P_20170405_134829.jpg

bparnell57 likes this.
  17. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Wow! Those are the amps from my childhood! :)

18. gatorfiend

gatorfiend Tele-Meister

I've had a Danelectro DM-10 that I hate myself for selling; great little Jensen speaker and amazing tremolo. The cheap cabinet was the only thing I disliked.
    I've had a '65 Ampeg Rocket II, a 66 Ampeg Gemini I and now an Ampeg Gemini VI. I recently put a Weber F150 in the VI and am loving it. I wish the tremolo was as nice as the I. I like having the two channels and being able to jump them with a patch cable.
    Agreed with the above that Ampegs are sleepers. I really want an Ampeg Mercury 15.

19. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

One thing I've found with the "off brand" amps. You can't assume they're as loud as a Fender with the same output tubes.
    For instance a 1485 Silvertone and a Twin Reverb both have a quad of 6L6s but the TR will blow a 1485 right off the stage. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just something to keep in mind when deciding weather or not you might need a PA.
    Also speaker selection. I like vintage or low efficiency speakers in my Fenders but in the Ampegs I like more efficient ones.
    Just depends on your situation.

20. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

So many great off brand amps from that era. The reason being, everything was made to a certain standard of quality. The idea of making junk was not even considered at this time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.