1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Old 2"x10"x8' Floor Joist Telecasters

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by GuitarsBuicks, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

I have considered it. There are some beautifully figured chunks of that species, fer shure. I just haven't pursued it because I consider myself very much "in the learning stages" of building guitar bodies. I'm afraid having a pretty slab of that wood might be too big of a temptation to wait until my skill level catches up to the quality of that wood. Decent guitar-sized slabs of Myrtlewood usually fetch a fair price, also.......

I am however checking into some Juniper for messing around with. I know it's not the easiest of woods to work with when building long bows (no laminations-"self bows"). It has lots of knots, twists, and such. It makes really nice looking stairwy rails and trim, furniture, and the like.

But in the central part of the state, as I undertand it/am being told, some government entity is paying property owners to cut Juniper trees down. This is so what small mounts of rainfall that area gets will give more water to native grasses and other plants. Near the towns of Mitchell, Spray, Fossil, and Service Creek, there are quite a few downed Juniper trees. I saw it when I was there deer hunting a few weeks ago. I have a potential source of some I plan to check on tomorrow. There's enough of that stuff laying around that I could screw up several Telecaster bodies, and not feel too guilty about it.

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Juniper sounds interesting too . I googled it and it has a lot of character in the grain , also seems to have a number of knots . I only mentioned myrtlewood as my parents saw a grandfather clock made of it while passing through Oregon many years ago and my dad had to have it . It is a wood with very unique grain patterns , as you know . Good luck with the project .

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Body number one is officially down, cut out and glued. Due to finals the routing will not happen until next week. However, I would like your opinions on pickups. I'm torn between Bootstrap "Original Recipe" set, CS '51 Nocasters, SD Broadcasters, Mojotone Broadcasters, SD Quarterpounder set, or the Onamac Broadcaster/Nocaster set.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  4. gabeNC

gabeNC TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Don't forget to add some pictures! ;)

I used Fender Yosemite pickups, fairly cheap and sounds like a Tele.

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Ill think about it. :lol:

Not a huge fan of a4's or a5's magnets. I much prefer a3's. Thought about going with another set of CS '51 Nocasters, but they will break my bank further than I was planning to go.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    crazydave911 likes this.
  6. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Okay, so tonight after I finished my online finals I was shopping for a neck as I was hoping to finish building my new toy before classes start again in two weeks. Any suggestions on where to get one? I didn't really want a mightymite or Allparts if I can help it. I stumbled across USA Custom Guitars, while I was attempting to explore their site, I couldn't figure out how to custom order a neck or even select options to see what the final cost would be. Any suggestions?

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Any suggestions on sourcing capacitors and resistors?

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

I've made a number of guitars from similar wood - all of them turned out great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. G&Lplayer

G&Lplayer Tele-Meister

My first build I used a mighty mite neck and I’ll tell you I was pleasantly surprised. Got a modern 22 fret neck, rosewood finger board and satin finish on the back. Came with a nut that I only needed to open a hair for my preferred wound strings and the frets were well finished. On my second build I used an all rosewood WD neck. That one is nice also. My two cents.

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

2 cents appreciated and well spent!

crazydave911 likes this.
  12. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

For aftermarket necks I don't think you can beat Warmoth. I've assembled several guitars with them, they have required very little fretwork and you can custom order whatever you want if you don't find it already made. I have also used three Mighty Mite necks - they are fine, all required a bit of fretwork. No experience with anything else, I mostly roll my own.

You can buy electronic components at any Radio Shack or similar store, but they probably won't have what you need in stock. Most of the lutherie suppliers have good quality pots and caps - I often buy from StewMac when I'm ordering other stuff. Yes, they are a bit more than Radio Shack but there is no hassle.

And for what it is worth, I've built some teles with Fraulins and Budz and other expensive boutique pickups but I put StewMac's golden age ones in my personal guitar and two others and they sound very much like a telecaster.

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

crazydave911 likes this.
  14. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

How do you make your own necks? I would like to make my own maple one piece with trussrods.

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I make my own necks, but not that style. I only do two piece with double acting rods installed under the fretboard. I mostly make non-Fender style guitars and simply don't care for F style necks. I can show you how to do that - both with a Fender head and with angled scarf joined heads (Gibson et al).

If you want a good description of how to make a one piece neck with a skunk stripe, including the angled jig for drilling the truss rod access, get Melvyn Hiscock's book (you should have it anyway). He is due to have a new edition next spring but don't wait - hundreds of people have built hundreds of guitars using the current one.

gabeNC and crazydave911 like this.
  16. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I would definitely be interested in that, should we ever re-open and get our wood supplies back up. I try to learn something new everyday that I can apply for the rest of my life.

Personally, I much prefer a one piece neck to a 3-4 piece neck like you find on Gibson and Ibanez guitars. I'm not opposed to 2-piece necks but the one piece is definitely my favorite in a bolt-on configuration.

I really only like two piece necks on my acoustics, mainly because that is the best option for those. Although I have played four piece necks...really not my favorite. And those solid laminate ones are just so dang heavy. Not to mention the fact that they don't ring and sustain like a real wood neck.

crazydave911 likes this.
  17. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

I was born and raised in John Day, OR. LOTS of Juniper up there, and all I remember about it was that it is flexible and quite pitchy. My father built an oversized Cribbage board for a friend of his one Christmas, and he whittled the pegs out of Juniper. He wiped them down with rubbing alcohol maybe 10 times, they were still a bit sticky 3 years later. Let us know how your experiments go, I'm intrigued...

crazydave911 likes this.
  18. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I would probably have used Tung Oil instead of rubbing alcohol.

edvard and crazydave911 like this.
  19. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I've found the one piece neck to be the most challenging neck because it is more complex than just routing a slot and sticking in a double rod.

Some have found this thread helpful

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/lets-make-a-neck.755300/

A true one piece neck like a Fender maple neck requires a jig to make a curved slot for the single rod. If you really want visual accuracy on the truss rod anchor hole at the peghead, then you need a fixture to guide a long drill bit at a 3 degree angle.

This is also a good thread by Jack Wells.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/building-a-one-piece-neck.79699/

I'd suggest you use the Ed Hawley ( Ed's a member here) drawing found here to make the curve for the truss rod.

Ed's awesome thread:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/53-cnc-build.83286/

It's called Neck. PDF.

https://www.gitarrebassbau.de/viewtopic.php?t=6

hawley neck drawing.png

If you have access to a cnc router, then the arc can be cut with that which eliminates making the jig that jack wells shows in his first few posts in the thread I linked.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    crazydave911 likes this.
  20. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Afflicted

1 piece neck - that's a rough place to start on your first neck build - been there done that. Learned a lot. Learned a lot what NOT to do.
    Marty gave some good build threads to study above.
    Look up some old build threads by Colt Knight on this forum too - very helpful.
    I used those threads to guide my 1-piece neck efforts - you can see those starting at post #12 here:
    noobcaster-build-along.

Don't regret the time I spent with 1-piecers, but I won't do any more of them. Double action rods only for me.
    We love pics if you start down that road !
    /mike

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.