1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Oklahoma City?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by racehorse, Mar 9, 2007.

1. racehorse

racehorse Tele-Meister

I`m going to be in OKC the week of 3-11 , any good music stores ,I`m always looking for that perfect amp ,or tele. Jams ?etc.
    Thanks Jim

2. Djohnson

Djohnson TDPRI Member

I'd hit Honest Ron's and Lone Wolf guitars maybe Granny's music mall Honest Ron also builds guitars he's a nice guy to boot

3. tele3244

tele3244 TDPRI Member

For Vintage there isnt much in OKC....Maybe Del City Music in nearby Del City OK...Occaisonally they have some cool stuff roll through there at times.

If you can maybe go to Tulsa, only about 98 miles from OKC and there seems to be a better vintage market there. Strings West is about 20 Mins from downtown TUL and there is one very large vintage collector there named Larry (not Briggs) but i cant remember the last name...I met them in Arlington last year and he had 4 Blackguards and a bunch of 50's Strats on display.

4. Cyrithicus

Cyrithicus Tele-Afflicted

I dont know about OKC, but the more south you go, the pickin's get slimmer!

There IS nothing south of OKC, besides shops in Dallas!

5. racehorse

racehorse Tele-Meister

OKC?

Thanks for the replies, Looks like a few things to check out. any other things of interest in the area. I`m going to be there for my sons basketball tournement, so We will have free time.
    Thanks

6. Mickey

Mickey Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

+1 for honest ron, but he has wierd hours that I think are posted on the net.

I used to live there, miss it a ton.

The national cowboy museum was a standard stop, very cool (don't miss the barbed wire exhibit). But pricey as I remember, so you have to be interested. Has a large history section, and a large Western art section.

The stockyard auctions are Monday and Tues mornings, I think (better check). Open to the public. Cattlemen's Steakhouse is right there too, best restaurant in the USA (IMHO), and available for steak and eggs for sure. Cowtown (where all this is) has a few pretty cool western wear places. If you need a hat, this is where to find it. Same goes for Wranglers in any color imaginable.

7. bendingtens

bendingtens Tele-Holic

Hop on route 66 while you're there - Oklahoma has more miles of it than any other state.

I lived there about 10 years ago and visited lots of small town pawnshops. Found some good gear, too.

Make sure you see a show at The Blue Door. One of my favorite venues in the country.

http://www.bluedoorokc.com/

Fred Eaglesmith plays there on the 17th - his sideman plays electric slide mandolin that will blow you mind.

8. telejake

telejake Tele-Meister

Norman Music in Norman,OK has a PLEK. They do it very reasonably, if you need that done to a guitar.

9. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

if you do make it as far north as tulsa, check out the Golden Pawn on Peoria, very close to downtown. they have alot of old guitars on the wall, especially some really cool old acoustics. not pristine condition, most have some miles and mojo. they always have a special price for customers with cash today.

10. bw

bw Tele-Meister

Any of you OK guys know about Best Price Guitars west of town?I went by there last summer a couple of times on I40 and they have like a 20ft tele hanging on their building!Wanted to check them out, but just wasn't in the cards.bw

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.