Okay, Time For Another Doo Wop Thread!

Mindovermatter62

Tele-Meister
The Tears[The Supremes]this great little doo wopper featuring Mary Wilson on lead didn't do much on the charts but it may be the best female group doo wop song ever, I'm sorry that I can't play it here!!

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
The Tears[The Supremes]this great little doo wopper featuring Mary Wilson on lead didn't do much on the charts but it may be the best female group doo wop song ever, I'm sorry that I can't play it here!!

As far as I can tell from information on You Tube (which tends to be sparse to nonexistent) this wasn't released except on a compilation decades later.

Last edited:

MrNoTalent

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
love doo-wop also and glad to see there are many others.....Crests were awesome and "Trouble" and "Angels" my two favorites....also Larry Chance (Remember When), Dion, Kenny Vance, and so many more....a local band from my area (Duluth,Mn) in the '60's (DeVilles) did a great cover of "Baby Blue"....hope doo-wop lives forever.

jasperthecat

TDPRI Member
I was a full time pro singer guitarist back from the late 60s until the early 80s and I used to feature some of the old Doo Wop numbers as part of my act. Brilliant music and I enjoyed singing it.

My home studio these days is set up to reproduce the music of the 50s. Doo Wop was probably the most romantic of the genres and what better way to get to know a girl than with a smooch to a Doo Wop number? ;) It was music made for romance!

Not many more modern singers/singing groups seem to have the feel for it but this group 'Harmony Street' are brilliant and the only other band to do this was Sha Na nah but these are better.
See what you think.

Indian Joe

Tele-Meister
Vocal groups have been the bedrock of popular music probably forever. Humans have used human voice vibrations to stir or quell spirits, both human & psychic. It’s kinda interesting that Brian Epstein had difficulty finding a record company to accept The Beatles, as by their assessment vocal groups were out of fashion, single singers were in.
I was born in 1948 & had 2 older sisters in their late teens in the 1950’s when Doo-wop was most popular. Rock & Roll ( Elvis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard) was crushed by The Man for being to rebellious - kids wearing those ‘dungarees with the cuffs rolled up!- and these romantic I-vi-IV-V swoon tunes got pushed. Sax & piano were still the main leadinstruments- the raucous sound of that electric guitarwas too much, not to mention those heathen drums!! (Gene Krupa’s pot bust was probably a set-up!).
Great credit is due to those singers for what they did- no click track, no auto-tune, harmonizers, etc. Plus the recording engineers & producers with those big knob mixing desks. Yes, there were errors, but there was often minimal recording budget, plus that music was deemed to not have longevity. As powerful as Beatlemania was, the industry thought it would be all over in a few months, never to be heard again.
Back then, & for quite a while after, singers, players & writers had to be good. That’s why this music still stands today.