Okay, this has been bugging me a long time

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I have a theory that there is only so much intelligence available to humans as a species, and it's getting spread thinner and thinner as our numbers increase alarmingly.

Prove me wrong...please?

1. Something we can't talk about has killed over six million people. Did that increase human intelligence at the same time?

2. Think of "last man on Earth" fictional scenarios. Did that last chappie have an IQ of eight hundred billion?

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
There are people loose in society today who are not as sophisticated as Java man (homo erectus erectus). You can find them in every city. They’re the ones the TV news interviews for sound bites when there is a crash.
There are actually a lot more of them than the other kind. I didn’t used to think so, but the evidence these days is overwhelming.

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
I have a theory that there is only so much intelligence available to humans as a species, and it's getting spread thinner and thinner as our numbers increase alarmingly.

Prove me wrong...please?
Kind of fits with my thought that there is only so much knowledge a mind can hold without deleting some of what was previously acquired and stored...

I forget when I thought of that, but I did.
Could have been this morning.
Or 50y ago.

I think.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Caveman_1080x1080_Website-100.jpg

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
After serving as a Cub Scout and Boy Scout leader for multiple years, I am amazed at the "caveman" skills that most kids don't have these days: Making fire, sharpening knives, basic cooking, and using a map and compass. GPS is fine, up to the point where the battery poops out. And our whole family hunts, so we get the whole "circle of life" thing and my sons are OK with harvesting and processing a deer and eating the meat - but most people these days would recoil from the stark "reality" of it. All of us on this forum can play enough songs to entertain folks for an hour or two, but that's even losing out to digital music downloads.

As we become more technologically sophisticated, many of the things we used to do "by hand" (like playing music, killing and cooking dinner, etc.) are becoming lost arts. Which is fine, as long as the power grid holds. Ironically, today we sit glued to our TVs watching our fellow modern humans "survive" situations where they need to do things for themselves. I wonder what percentage of the reality show audience could actually last 3 days in the woods or the desert with a firesteel, a knife, and some paracord?

So it'd be really simple to wipe our civilization off the globe. We can deal with weaponized viruses and homicidal dictators, but once the lights go out, we're sitting ducks.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
It’s a frontal lobe thing. So possibly but need to treat as a juvenile

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Yet how difficult would it be for a caveman to text using both thumbs? Could he learn that as fast as we can figure out how to start a fire. Could he understand music and play a guitar? (please don't play the Neanderthals learn music video with Ringo). I wonder if the skills to learn (good things or bad) have realistically become more pronounced through the history of civilization? Are most of us grossly more intelligent than DiVinci (not as artists, but through gained knowledge)?

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
After serving as a Cub Scout and Boy Scout leader for multiple years, I am amazed at the "caveman" skills that most kids don't have these days: Making fire, sharpening knives, basic cooking, and using a map and compass. GPS is fine, up to the point where the battery poops out. And our whole family hunts, so we get the whole "circle of life" thing and my sons are OK with harvesting and processing a deer and eating the meat - but most people these days would recoil from the stark "reality" of it. All of us on this forum can play enough songs to entertain folks for an hour or two, but that's even losing out to digital music downloads.

As we become more technologically sophisticated, many of the things we used to do "by hand" (like playing music, killing and cooking dinner, etc.) are becoming lost arts. Which is fine, as long as the power grid holds. Ironically, today we sit glued to our TVs watching our fellow modern humans "survive" situations where they need to do things for themselves. I wonder what percentage of the reality show audience could actually last 3 days in the woods or the desert with a firesteel, a knife, and some paracord?

So it'd be really simple to wipe our civilization off the globe. We can deal with weaponized viruses and homicidal dictators, but once the lights go out, we're sitting ducks.

You can still make electricity with fuel and a generator. Or a wind turbine (look at the engineer from a remote African village who built one from scratch). Or salvaged solar panels. All you need for some mass communication is radio (either traditional barebones radio transmission/reception or in digital form mesh networking, look at the guifi project). Where there’s a will there’s a way. The sheer amount of crap we have generated and tossed ensures that even in a mad max scenario there’s plenty of tools, parts, materials, etc left around to conjure something basic up. In the nuclear scenario there still won’t be any going back to the “before times.”

But regardless, we have lived in advanced hyper-specialized societies for centuries (if not millennia?) without electricity. Mega cities, government, engineering, finance, all that, all without electricity or mass communication. Your average city dweller centuries ago also didn’t know how to survive in the woods. Choosing between contemporary conditions and hunter-gatherer survivalism is a false dichotomy. You can’t put the civilization genie back in the bottle.

Last edited:

Gnometowner

Tele-Meister
I will be 70 this month. Grew up farming and working oilpatch in redneck Oklahoma.
3 years ago I visited Portland Oregon for a month.

Apparently, I am prone to violence with big bore boomsticks, predator of innocent critters and a full on mysoginistic homophobic genders insensitive neanderthal who likes real women with nice breast, top shelf bourbon and Tbone steak.
I had no clue it was that bad....no sense even trying to change at age 70.........

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I will be 70 this month. Grew up farming and working oilpatch in redneck Oklahoma.
3 years ago I visited Portland Oregon for a month.

Apparently, I am prone to violence with big bore boomsticks, predator of innocent critters and a full on mysoginistic homophobic genders insensitive neanderthal who likes real women with nice breast, top shelf bourbon and Tbone steak.
I had no clue it was that bad....no sense even trying to change at age 70.........
Nothing wrong with you amigo - it's THEM (did I get their precious pronoun right?).
I lived in Portland for 6 months about 20 years ago. It was the same thing then, only not as many names for it.
The TV sitcom "Portlandia" is a freakin' documentary.
So stop on by our way in Idaho sometime - I would love to show you around.
Visit my favorite gun range. Maybe do some fishin'.
Then we'll grill a couple of nice ribeyes and pop the cork on a bottle of whisky.
Lots more fun than tofu and a protest rally.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
You can still make electricity with fuel and a generator. Or a wind turbine (look at the engineer from a remote African village who built one from scratch). Or salvaged solar panels. All you need for some mass communication is radio (either traditional barebones radio transmission/reception or in digital form mesh networking, look at the guifi project). Where there’s a will there’s a way. The sheer amount of crap we have generated and tossed ensures that even in a mad max scenario there’s plenty of tools, parts, materials, etc left around to conjure something basic up. In the nuclear scenario there still won’t be any going back to the “before times.”

But regardless, we have lived in advanced hyper-specialized societies for centuries (if not millennia?) without electricity. Mega cities, government, engineering, finance, all that, all without electricity or mass communication. Your average city dweller centuries ago also didn’t know how to survive in the woods. Choosing between contemporary conditions and hunter-gatherer survivalism is a false dichotomy. You can’t put the civilization genie back in the bottle.
I'm not overly concerned about electricity. I have a couple of nice acoustic guitars.
And the currency will no longer be silver and gold - it'll be lead and brass.
Which makes my reloading gear like a gold mine. Hee hee!

bigbean

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
I saw the movie where they unfreeze a Neanderthal as a young guy. He seemed to adapt quick enough in the movie, even though he struggled.

Given the average intellect of most humans is well average, what exactly is required in terms of learning for the oldest ones who came first? I imagine they would have a lot of catching up to do and I was wondering what Algebra would be for say a Neanderthal versus someone from medieval times? How many shocks would the poor Neanderthals have to face? Let alone language going from "This my Rock" to "Electric Light at night? You are kidding me" would have to be really tough.

My wife told me her father would put a towel over the TV because his mother was pretty sure the people in the TV could see them eat at dinner and that was rude. Can't imagine what CGI would be like for her or even my own mom.

I wonder how Walt Disney and some of the others who have chosen freezing will react when and if they unfreeze successfully. Not that I would consider such an option, asking for a friend. He wasn't all that good in school.

I guess it is lucky not a bunch have been frozen and of course Zombies remain pretty focused. But imagine if someone randomly from each century was unfrozen.

Could they incorporate into society?
Given the fact that we apparently still can't even freeze a tomato and then thaw it out later without destroying it's consistency, I'm thinking that Walt and the rest of the frozen corpses and heads in those facilities of "preservation" will not be seeing any future dawns.

PennyroyalFrog

Tele-Afflicted
Neanderthals were not human ancestors. They were contemporaries of humans living at the time, and some mated with each other. A fair amount of people have some Neanderthal DNA in them but not many. Also, archeological evidence shows Neanderthals were likely equally intelligent as homoserines.

Okay, continue on with the goofy thread about what I assume is about Encino Man.

HootOwlDude

Tele-Meister
I saw the movie where they unfreeze a Neanderthal as a young guy. He seemed to adapt quick enough in the movie, even though he struggled.

Given the average intellect of most humans is well average, what exactly is required in terms of learning for the oldest ones who came first? I imagine they would have a lot of catching up to do and I was wondering what Algebra would be for say a Neanderthal versus someone from medieval times? How many shocks would the poor Neanderthals have to face? Let alone language going from "This my Rock" to "Electric Light at night? You are kidding me" would have to be really tough.

My wife told me her father would put a towel over the TV because his mother was pretty sure the people in the TV could see them eat at dinner and that was rude. Can't imagine what CGI would be like for her or even my own mom.

I wonder how Walt Disney and some of the others who have chosen freezing will react when and if they unfreeze successfully. Not that I would consider such an option, asking for a friend. He wasn't all that good in school.

I guess it is lucky not a bunch have been frozen and of course Zombies remain pretty focused. But imagine if someone randomly from each century was unfrozen.

Could they incorporate into society?
I welcome all newly-thawed and recently un-dead individuals. Parsing their soft, freezer-burnt or partially decomposed brains into the populace can help a more naturally burnt-out ol’ dog like me compete.