Okay, so who is "IN" ???

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jkingma, Feb 27, 2014.

1. kissTheApex

kissTheApex Tele-Afflicted

Best wishes and a speedy recovery for your son axedaddy. I hope he feels better soon.

2. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Like all past challenge threads only the ones that finish are saved in the challenge thread, there were only 9 finishers, there were more that started... seems like there was 15 or 20 that started.

It would be interesting to see how many would enter today with the same rules as 2009... $100 limit, finished in 30 days, Tele or Esquire only.

3. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Ahhh of course, I was forgetting about non finishers.

A tele in 30 days, that I could and would do. $100 limit, even making the neck, that would be a real challenge... One that I would definitely like to try, though....

4. Jacaranda

Jacaranda Tele-Holic

30 days? How do you let the finish even dry?

5. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Ya, the 30 day limit would be the challenge and significantly limit the guitars being made. Cost is only a limitation one the parts used. The year we all had to make our own necks was one of the unique challenges.

It would be interesting one of these years to only be able to buy one kind of part, aside of screws and pots/switches; just tuners, just pickups or just a bridge.... and see what we come up with :)

6. Jdelys

Jdelys Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I'm not sure if I can this time or not, but I did pay the $18.00 to support the cause! :cool:

7. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Other than here, I've taken part in 2 other $100 challenges. One was an electric in 30 days and the other was an acoustic in 60 days. It wasn't that difficult to meet both the time and cost constraints. You just have to be creative... and that's where the challenge comes in to play.

8. jkingma

Admin Post
    Stop the hmmm'n and haw'n... you can do it. :D

9. jkingma

Admin Post
    Most wipe on polys are plenty dry enough in a day or two.

10. axedaddy

axedaddy Tele-Afflicted

THANKS! I really appreciate that! He has a chronic issue we have been dealing with since he was 2 (he is 15 now) that we will deal with the rest if his life. This time around just happened to be the worst bout he has had in the last 10 years.

11. kissTheApex

;)

By the way, I loved the the roasted maple blanks you sent Scatter's way last year. Did you roast them yourself? Care to share the "recipe" if you did? :D

12. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

I'm In.
    The last 2 years work shipped me out to Australia and Vietnam right as the challenges started. This year its Toronto (only 300 miles away) so I'll be home much of the time.

Let's get her done. Open Class baby.

"Somewhat inspired by a general idea derived from a reference regarding the iconic Fender Telecaster Spanish-style guitar."

That's vague enough :D

13. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX Tele-Holic

Im in!
    Really wanted to enter the La Cab class but decided to use some p90s...Open Class it is!

14. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The rules that year (2009) stipulated that the guitar built by the winner of the Challenge had to be given to Paul (TDPRI) so it could then be raffled off and given to a random member.

This caused quite a lot of "dropping out"! ;)

15. axedaddy

axedaddy Tele-Afflicted

Hey that roasted maple recipe is no secret.

1) Find good wood supplier who knows what roasted maple is

2) Give said wood supplier your money for the sweet goodness you need to complete your guitar recipe.

3) Always have a fire extinguisher near by if you decide to roast your own :)

16. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Ya - that's a lot of work to give away. Some of my challenge builds have taken a lot of time because I was figuring out stuff that no one else had posted an example of - regardless of whether anyone liked them - by the time I finished them I was talking to them and treating them as my own children: They would say the darnedest things too!!! :lol:

...Still do - but these days they mostly complain about how small their cases are... Oh wait, we weren't talking about my kids...

17. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

And do not ever use the microwave. Or in my don't use the microwave like that ever again. At least that's what SWMBO told me that day the whole house smelled like roasted oak.:D

18. kissTheApex

I especially lack ingredient number three, I guess I'll have to compensate with a double serving of ingredient two :D

Hmmm, I always wondered how roasted ash smells like :confused: In lilght of your input though I think I'll wait till SWMBO decides to run an errand or something :rolleyes:

19. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

If you do try it you won't forget the smell because that is what the microwave will smell like until you replace it and if you don't replace it really fast SWMBO might give you a taste of what whipped ash smells like. :D

20. kissTheApex

Roasting ash in the microwave is definitely out then :oops: Current microwave is rather new:mad:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.