Okay, so I'm a Dumb@$$ with a Smart Phone...

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by LGOberean, Aug 12, 2019.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

...how do I go about using it for guitar playing on road trips?

My wife and I recently changed from Sprint to Verizon because of better coverage. (We started RVing and couldn't get a signal in a lot of places with Sprint.) So I've got this brand new iPhone that's as big as a brick :eek:, and I'm this technologically challenged doofus that was drug kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

I've read comments more than once on TDPRI about using one's smart phone for playing (electric?) guitar in certain settings (workplace break rooms, hotel rooms, etc.), but I've got no clue how to do that.

On our RV camping trips, this could come in handy, if I knew how to do it. So, I thought I'd ask. I have no doubt any number of my fellow TDPRIers will be able to enlighten me.

bcorig and puddin like this.
  2. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

I have one of these:

[​IMG]

Actually, the older (HD, not HD2) version, and can use it to play via my iPhone or iPad quite easily. It should work with any Apple or Android phone, and as a bonus interfaces nicely with any recording software I've tried. As a bonus, it sounds pretty decent through earbuds, and the included software has a number of amps/pedals, but they're always trying to get you to buy more! Oh, and as a bonus - it is way smaller than a phone!

PingGuo and awasson like this.
  3. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

line6 makes this

https://line6.com/sonicport-audio-interface/sonicport/

i own one, never use it
    prefer this.

upload_2019-8-12_11-28-22.jpeg
    has real knobs, buttons, plenty of I/0 doesn't wear down my phone battery, and I can't get calls on it in the middle of playing something.

appear regularly on ebay, 15 year old technology that works, doesn't require software updates, has 2 small speakers so you can use it as a practice amp or mic it for recording (along with digital audio out, analog audio out, amp out etc)

Roland boss Gs-10, about the size of a a laptop, but much better....

4. LGOberean

Uh...replies thus far have been about additional devices that work with an iPhone. I guess I got the impression that there was a way to somehow just plug into your iPhone and go to town. Am I wrong about that?

5. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

No, you aren’t wrong, but unless your iPhone has a 1/4” jack in it you’ll need a special cable, which is what the iRig in the first comment is. I use one as well, works great. I use Positive Grid’s Bias Amp app with it.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

You are asking about enlightenment right? I see at least two mistakes so far, but I don't want to ruin your fantasy.;):lol:

teletimetx, magicfingers99 and puddin like this.
  7. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

To actually play your electric guitar using your iPhone you have to get the signal from your guitar into the iPhone.

You also need some kind of amp sim software in the iPhone.

And finally, you have to get the amp sim signal out again to listen (assuming you want to use headphones).

Parts one and three of this mean you will need some kind of additional device.

I’d start by looking at iRig (plain & HD), and then try google searches by typing something along the lines of “iRig vs” and seeing what auto suggestions you get for completing the search. That will (should) give you the names of competing / alternative products, like the Focusrite iTrack One Pre.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irig2/

Hope this helps.

Pax/
    Dean

PingGuo likes this.
  8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Step 1: Download GarageBand from the App Store (make sure you are connected on WiFi rather than mobile data when you do)... play around with it.. got touch screen instruments, drums, bass, keyboards, etc. It has a bunch of amp sims to simulate various amps and pedals.

Step 2: Get a lightning to USB connector for apple (sometimes called camera connection kit) - this lets you connect stuff

Step 3: Get a cheap, modern USB audio interface. A simple Focusrite or iRig would do. It will plug and play with iOS but ask to make sure.

Step 4: Plug your guitar into the interface and your earphones into the earphones output on the audio interface and enjoy a full multitrack studio in a phone.

OPTIONAL: Plug in a mic for vocals or acoustic instruments.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  9. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Better to be a smart$$ with a dumb phone.

magicfingers99 likes this.
  10. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

Every day... That would rather be my goal ! :confused:;)

-tbln

11. LGOberean

Only two? Well...maybe it wasn't as dumb a question as I feared. :oops::twisted:

Thanks for the clarification, y'all. No, my iPhone doesn't have a 1/4" jack input. And I did figure I'd have to download an app, but I was figuring I'd just listen via the speaker in my iPhone. I listen to YouTube videos on it now, and while the audio doesn't sound as good as through the Bose speakers I have hooked up to my desktop, it does sound pretty good. Good enough for campsite noodling, anyway.

I actually do have an iRig acoustic Stage. I didn't even think about it with this application, because it's designed for acoustic amplification. And when playing acoustic guitar while camping, I wouldn't be worried about amplification.

But the unit does have a "USB class compliant audio output via micro-USB port," and the IKMultimedia web page says the "iRig Acoustic Stage can also be used as USB recording interface for Mac/PC, iOS, Android." So could I just use that to plug in a tele via the "AUX" and out via the USB port to my phone?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. LGOberean

If you're referring to guitar playing and not the tech stuff I'm asking about, I'm already aboard that train. I'm retired, so every day is a guitar-playing day in my world, even on the camping trips we've taken. I just haven't played a tele at one of our camp sites yet.

tubelectron likes this.
  13. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

GarageBand or Amplitube (free version) for the app part... I use Amplitube, I like the amp models and overall operation better. Just download from App Store.

Lots of options for the interface cable that lets you plug the guitar into the phone and provides a headphone jack to hear what you’re playing.

And note that these apps tend to drain your phone battery somewhat faster than normal. I usually plug mine into the charger (either an external battery pack type, or ac wall) while I’m playing, unless it’s just a short session.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  14. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Yep

15. magicfingers99

yes you are wrong. an instrument level signal is so low it needs amplification (preamp) to be properly used.

you can use your iphone mic if you like a lot of ambient noise, which can be cool if you want to do aqualung vocals...

just get the UK Iphone, it has an instrument jack and a whammy bar and 2 mag pickups...

upload_2019-8-12_16-24-37.jpeg

Obsessed likes this.
  16. magicfingers99

or use your phone for making phone calls and get a dedicated device for making music. ohhh and a swiss army knife if you want one thing that can do 17 different things, just to get that hankering taken care of..

17. LGOberean

The goal here is to hopefully get away with not spending any more money.

Seriously, camping trips will almost always involve an acoustic. For those times that I'm combining a camping jaunt with booking a gig, I'll bring along my traveling rig: Logan Custom acoustic/electric + Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge; Logan Custom tele + Vox Pathfinder 15R; Alto TS310 powered speaker.

So the times where I take a tele without also taking an amp will be few and far between, and it's not worth it to me to spend $100 or better for the option of tele playing. I'd just leave it at home unless I've got a gig on the road.

So Guitarteach, was your "Yep" in response to my question about using my iRig Acoustic Stage unit? (Hopefully, I'll be getting another "Yep" reply. :twisted:)

18. magicfingers99

wait

you own guitars and stuff and don't want to spend more money?

I'm not certain I've ever heard of that.

Isn't that why we buy guitars, so we can have an excuse to buy picks and strings and amps and pedals and cases and more guitars and more picks and strings and amps and pedals and cases and more guitars etc,etc,etc....

RLee77 likes this.
  19. LGOberean

Okay, so I'm an oddball with a smart phone! :oops::twisted:

Seriously, I guess I am different when it comes to devices. I GAS for guitars, definitely. For accessory devices, significantly less so. I'm not a pedal guy. I've got just one pedal, the multi-fx BOSS ME-70. I've had it for almost a decade, and I've gigged with twice (maybe 3 times?), and I can go a month or more without plugging into it at home. So the current spate of digital devices providing a myriad of amp models and effects is lost on me.

Also, I don't even own a pair of headphones. I've had tinnitus for 32 years, and it's getting worse. Even when I hold my phone up to my ear, it's exacerbates the problem. I almost always text when I can rather than phone, because of my hearing. So all these gizmos designed to be listened to via earbuds or something are likewise lost on me.

20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I see what you are trying to do here, but why not keep it simple, inexpensive and yet get a decent sound? How about the Monoprice Indio 10 watt battery powered guitar amp, on sale right now for $25.99 on their site. I don't know anything about that amp, but it sure as heck gonna sound better than non headphone iPhone kind of solutions out in the RV or under the RV awning. I assume you want at least some sort of inspiration while practicing, doodling, composing out on a trip with the wife. Just thinkin' options before you go any further down the iRabbithole.

Informal, TokyoPortrait and RLee77 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.