okay, I finally have a phrase gripe....

Poster Extraordinaire
when I encounter in person or on zoom... I provide what one of my peeps refer to as the 'smile of death'...

there is nothing to be said... it will pass, but man, I hate it.

"Peeps" is far more gripe worthy.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
At first, I thought this would be about, "it is what it is" o_O

that one has passed (no longer in my world) same with the end of the day... and the other ones I usually see here.. they've been gone awhile for me...

pivot
may we
I'm not sharing the other three because it will help them 'catch on' and I cannot bear it.

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
@getbent I wasn’t with you until you clarified it was one person referring to her/himself as “we”.

Until then I was gonna mock you assertively and aggressively.

Then the cloying punch worthiness of the ungrammatical affectation became clear.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
"Peeps" is far more gripe worthy.
fair enough.

I will delete.

I occasionally use it because I am uncomfortable in classifying my reports as reports... and I try to be as egalitarian as I can with them, so the whole 'role thing' is a little foreign to me... our org structure where I used to work was not as dependent on role as function (I think that makes sense) anyway, you are right it is mitigated speech which I am going to make the effort (I hate when people say 'I am going to effort that outcome' type stuff) to simplify and be direct.

Peeps is bs. I agree.

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
"We'll be reaching out to you shortly.", as if anything other than a computer automated message will be sent via email.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
well yeah ok, if you start attaching specific ideologies, i can see how that'd be annoying AF

my analogy would be the drone pilot sharing the agony and danger of combat to the recon marine after the drone pilot shot his wad danger clos!e to the recon marine's squad as an excuse for 'premature release'...

You guys have made my little burst of dissatisfaction tolerable and I'm on the trail toward 'over it'....

I owe you!

Bjackcity

Tele-Meister
'May we' doesn't bother me as much as 'reaching out'. 'May we reach out to you?' When the Four Tops used that line, it didn't bother me. Now, everybody uses it instead of saying 'email you', or 'text you', or 'call you' (nobody calls anymore).

Wonder why we have communication issues nowadays?

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Wonder why we have communication issues nowadays?

too often people load language wittingly and unwittingly... and mitigate their speech to such a degree that when you push.. they retreat at light speed but parry from a distance...

half the time, I try to give them the benefit of the doubt that they did not intend what actually spewed from their talk hole.. the other times, I have to calculate the impact of saying something and the mitigated retribution that will, without fail, 'well, yeah, what i said was offensive and stupid, but, but, you didn't have to embarrass me.'

it is FRIDAY!

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
and it makes me wanna punch babies....

When did people start saying (or writing) 'may we'

May we discuss this further on the phone?

May we get permission for uploading to the cloud?

May we please have a couple of items of clarification?

It is sooooo cloying and precious and 'fake sophisticated'...... when I see it, my whole body says "I ain't havin' it."

have you seen this abomination?

Since it's taken this long for you to finally find a phrase that annoys you, might I suggest visiting a rap music generator on the web. I'm pretty sure you can find some other phrases that will be even more pungent to you. :D