1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Okay, here's another "what's best" amp thread

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by DrPepper, Sep 22, 2020.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

This time I'm looking for the modeler with the best Fender clean tone. Which amp do you suggest? I will be using a Tele and an Esquire. I'm not interested in overdrive, just clean...

2. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

naveed211 likes this.
  3. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Afflicted

Anybody know of a DIY schematic for a tube preamp on this order or like the various Kingsley offerings?

4. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I dialed in a "Deluxe-Reverb-Like" tone on my Mustang III that I really like. Mustang, GT, GTX, Tone Master - they all can get a good blackface like sound. Some people had problems with the GT - I think @fender4life re-soldered all his connectors to resolve the cut-out issue - but they all will do a good Fender clean.

Now - depending on how you define "good Fender clean"... :lol:

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah I'd also suggest Mustang III

6. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Um, you can go big with a Kemper, ($1,700) or go reasonable with Yamaha THR ( $250.00), you can go low with Fender Mustang I used ($75.00). Personal Experience with the THR and Mustang, still have the Mustang.

Drew617 and DrPepper like this.
  7. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

That turned out not to work. The cut outs were about bi monthly so once i did that it seemed good but a few months later it started again. However, i DID fix a footswitch issue that way. I had reason to believe the cut out issue was hardware but now i'm not sure. It may have been firmware after all and the GT with the V3 firmware seems solid from those with GTs. Not everyone had that issue tho. In any case, having owned the MIII, GT, and now GTX i can absolutely say the GTX is the best. The cab sounds better then the GT's with better low end and is less directional, something that that bothered some people. The speaker sounds better too. Other then that if the dropout issue WAS indeed firmware the GT would b fairly close to the GTX since it accepts the new firmware. But the looks of the GTX are IMO and to most better and more traditional amp like, and the cab and speaker make the GTX IMO the way to go. Plus while we may never know, there may be hardware fixes like the dropout issue which again may be a FW fix but we rally cant be sure.

As to which to get for fender cleans, it's not even close...the GTX or GT if you don't mind the difference in cab/speaker benefit and looks. But MIII? Not close. For one thing the GT/GTX features are so far superior it's not close with a built in looper and the ability to arrange effects in any order on the amp. But the tone benefit for fender cleans is not just that the tone is much improved over the old MIII, but it has many other fender clean amps. Models the MIII does not have as far as fender are the blues jr, vibro king, super reverb, 57 bandmaster, showman, excelsior, dual showman, bluesbreaker, 61 deluxe, and thats off the top of my head. I may be missing some, but then there are a ton of others that are not fender too. I realize the MIII was always cited as the better amp here at TDPRI even thru the GT's production, but It's no longer even close. Before you make the mistake of buying a MIII because of the old GT threads and opinions on it here, go to TGP and look at the GTX thread thats got almost 4000 replies with NO one suggesting the MIII is better and many former MIII owners praising the GTX and GT with the V3 firmware. Trust me, it ain't close. The new V3 FW on either amp but especially the GTX if leagues ahead of the old MIII in most every way.

DrPepper likes this.
  8. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Fender Champion 40 or even 100 - take your pick of Brown & Blackface models. I imagine over there they're in the $150-250 bracket?

old soul likes this.
  9. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

*If* you have an amp already and just want a quick dirty 'Fender clean' (yes, pun intended).
    From the 'guilty pleasures' dept ($40), but oh so much fun.
    I've even got the dials set pretty close to what you'd need too..

(With all due respect to dead horses everywhere)

DSCN1026.JPG

Chiogtr4x and old soul like this.
  10. DrPepper

Geez, I could be asleep in bed and not even be aware of the dead horse...

PhredE likes this.
  11. DrPepper

Starting to think that I should keep saving and go with my original idea... Milkman HalfPint.

old soul likes this.
  12. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Yes, yes, yes. This one is perfect for that.

old soul likes this.
  13. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

I use the champion 100 and get some great tones out of it. For clean, the deluxe and twin settings are nice. Its even got a jazz chorus setting similar to the roland amp, and it's very clean, even though it's not really a fender clean

14. DimEyeGuitarGuy

DimEyeGuitarGuy Tele-Meister

My vote is this one...
    FF842422-5866-4083-BBCF-BA3A35D75DA1.jpeg

Mike M likes this.
  15. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

Quilter amps can get some very Fender like sounds.

old soul likes this.
  16. DrPepper

Had a Quilter, lacked a lot in the "feel" category... I'm picky... The more I think about it, I just better keep saving for the Halfpint...

17. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Except for the Voice knob ( which I have at maybe 10:00 clock) I'm using the same settings on my Joyo American Sound to use going into my Fender Frontman 25R, just to balance out the EQ ( tightens bass, brings up mids, just a bit)

Great pedal! I run it clean for a nice Fender BF/SF-type sound, & use ( go figure!) a brand new Joyo Vintage OD (TS clone) for some breakup and crunch.

Cheap, but all works very well!

PhredE likes this.
  18. Clickfiend

Clickfiend TDPRI Member

I love my Fender Super Champ x2. It's a foot switchable two channel hybrid tube+digital modeling amp that makes great Fender cleans. It has a clean channel with just volume control, and a modeling channel with 16 models, volume and gain. You can get a 1x10, an FSR 1x12, or a head and cab. Also has built in effects (reverb, delay, chorus, vibration, tremolo), tap tempo, and line out. Everything can be controlled with regular old knobs on the front. There's also USB and some software stuff that I've used maybe two or three times in the last couple of years. Lot's of reviews and videos out there if you want to check it out. If you want 10 million options and more software, I hear that the new Fender GTX series make great Fender tones. I've never played one myself though. Good Luck finding what you're looking for!

Attached Files:

19. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

I'm also a fan of the clean sounds from the Mustang series. The III gives you plenty of power in a lightweight combo, but if it's just for futzing around the house, the Mustang I does a decent job for cheap.

Bill likes this.
  20. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Holic

DrPepper and PhredE like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.