okay folks..a Squier mustang project

Psinatra

Tele-Meister
Okay...I need to start getting hardware.

Couple questions:

1.I have a set of unused vintage road worn tuning machines. These are for vintage sized holes. Can I get new bushings so that the will fit the 10mm holes on this neck? Or should I just get new tuners for the right sized holes?
2. thoughts on new string saddles? I believe that the total spacing is 2 1/16". Or is there another bridge that will fit where the old one was with ease?

Matthias

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter

Couple questions:

1.I have a set of unused vintage road worn tuning machines. These are for vintage sized holes. Can I get new bushings so that the will fit the 10mm holes on this neck? Or should I just get new tuners for the right sized holes?
2. thoughts on new string saddles? I believe that the total spacing is 2 1/16". Or is there another bridge that will fit where the old one was with ease?
1 - yes. Google conversion bushings. However, it‘s not tough to get decent tuners for quite cheap. If the Squier ones are fine, perhaps keep them. Otherwise I would be tempted to find something that fits the existing holes.

2 - measure the saddle width and search that… You should easily find a match. Your problem with finding a drop-in replacement is that not many have the four screws in the corners. You’ll likely need to fill the holes and redrill. A lot of bridges have schematic diagrams, so again, some careful measurement should help you find a match. But as noted, the plate is likely good enough… You’ll get most value from changing saddles.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
Your son is 8. I doubt that his ears are discerning enough to need better pickups then the stock ones. My 9 year old son only wants to play with high gain. Clean is boring!

Paint it the color that he wants, put some better pots in it if you feel the need to improve something, and let him rock out.

FSRCustomTeleHHGT

Tele-Meister
Hey gang, I picked up a used bullet mustang and I plan on turning it into a workable guitar for my kid.
So I'm leading toward humbuckers.
But... It already has humbuckers.

And as someone who owns that guitar in a different finish, the stock humbuckers are fine.

No, really.

And so are the electronics. They are perfectly in-spec for humbuckers. You can put different pickups and electronics in there, and they may cost more, but they won't necessarily sound better nor last longer. I'm unnecessary using a CV Jaguar neck (not pictured) because I wanted binding and block inlays, but I won't be downgrading anything attached to the pickguard or control plate.

1542980 - Copy.JPG

The body, having both a forearm contour and a belly cut is so much better than the slab Classic Vibe body. It does make a great Mustang mod platform. But nothing, not even the inexpensive hardtail bridge and saddles, needs to be replaced.

You can get pickup covers, but you may have to dremel the pickguard for them to fit.

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
+1 vote for letting the pickups stay—if he likes em. That sort of thing is notoriously subjective. Why spend the money if the player doesn’t care?

Hoodster

Friend of Leo's

Couple questions:

These worked great for me. Check my pic in post #20.

FA4764A7-6293-4C1D-9435-ADBAAA57F325.png

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I gave one of those to one of my nieces as a Christmas present a couple of years ago - I'm a single coil guy myself, but I actually liked the humbuckers in this one quite a bit. They are relatively bright and lively, as far as humbuckers go, I wouldn't change them!
I have no experience with that actual guitar model, but I really like the stock ceramic HB in my Squier Bullet Special for the same reason as quoted above ^^^.

I have been posting about this a lot lately, but bear with me: the bright lively zingy-ness grabbed me right away, but as received the guitar was rippin in distorted sounds and kind of harsh and gritty on clean sounds. Also kind of weak in the bass. About what I’d expect from a one-HB rock machine.

I was surprised at how much difference I was able to achieve by lowering the pickup quite a bit (currently about a bobbin-thickness above the pickguard) and adjusting in a slight tilt so the bass side was a bit higher and the treble side a bit lower). It took a few weeks of fiddling, playing, fiddling some more, listening...

Anyway the end result was a MUCH smoother, nicer clean sound, and a still-pleasing spread of humbucker-y overtones with crunchy sounds. And it still has hotter output than a Fender single coil usually does, but I am not limited to the bottom third or so of my gain control to avoid input ugliness.

I get that for some people the pickup swap has some hotrod appeal. Like it’s cooler to say you threw a 383 stroker in your Nova even if the stock 307 was getting you around just fine. But it’s worth giving those HBs a chance...they might be adjustable into your happy zone.
IMG_20151210_103631.jpg

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
...I was surprised at how much difference I was able to achieve by lowering the pickup quite a bit (currently about a bobbin-thickness above the pickguard) and adjusting in a slight tilt so the bass side was a bit higher and the treble side a bit lower). It took a few weeks of fiddling, playing, fiddling some more, listening...

Anyway the end result was a MUCH smoother, nicer clean sound, and a still-pleasing spread of humbucker-y overtones with crunchy sounds. And it still has hotter output than a Fender single coil usually does, but I am not limited to the bottom third or so of my gain control to avoid input ugliness...

...it’s worth giving those HBs a chance...they might be adjustable into your happy zone.

I'm a big fan of adjusting pickups, before just replacing them. I'd invest a little time in doing that, the changes can be quite dramatic.

A lot of folks have had good experiences with those particular HBs.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I'm a big fan of adjusting pickups, before just replacing them. I'd invest a little time in doing that, the changes can be quite dramatic.

A lot of folks have had good experiences with those particular HBs.
Yessiree...although as @Psinatra said above, I don’t like the look of exposed humbuckers that much. I have thought about swapping in a covered pickup more than once, but every time I do I chicken out, thinking that from a sound and function point of view the guitar suits me just right already. The pickup swap would just be an aesthetics thing. Then I start feeling like I better re-establish myself on the shallow/deep continuum by closing the shopping site and making musical sounds instead. And my guitar remains plain, black and of exposed-coil configuration.

bonzo898

Tele-Meister
I bought the sea foam green one on scratch/dent discount about a year and a half ago mainly just to keep my kids from grabbing my more expensive guitars (they are 7 and 4). I was surprised how much I like playing it. Stock humbuckers and electronics are surprisingly decent for such a cheap guitar. The only thing I had to do to it initially was change the strings and polish the scratchy frets. The saddles are the only other thing I plan on changing as they rattle and move around with heavier right hand technique. Bullet squiers have come a very long way since the 90’s.

Attachments

• 7DCEC1FB-8C8C-4E4B-9287-693AD883F4A1.jpeg
    7DCEC1FB-8C8C-4E4B-9287-693AD883F4A1.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 17

Psinatra

Tele-Meister
Yessiree...although as @Psinatra said above, I don’t like the look of exposed humbuckers that much. I have thought about swapping in a covered pickup more than once, but every time I do I chicken out, thinking that from a sound and function point of view the guitar suits me just right already. The pickup swap would just be an aesthetics thing. Then I start feeling like I better re-establish myself on the shallow/deep continuum by closing the shopping site and making musical sounds instead. And my guitar remains plain, black and of exposed-coil configuration.
I would love to have a covered humbucker and then a tele pickup in the neck. Just for that nice nickel look

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
One of these

would drop right in that neck humbucker hole and give you the nickel look without having to swap pickguards (though as mentioned, you might have to clearance the corners a bit with a dremel or file to allow the covers to fit through)

I guess that’s a liberal interpretation of “drop right in.” Sorry. However it might be a fair bit less trouble than acquiring a pickguard with a Tele neck pickup-sized hole...?

Psinatra

Tele-Meister
One of these

would drop right in that neck humbucker hole and give you the nickel look without having to swap pickguards (though as mentioned, you might have to clearance the corners a bit with a dremel or file to allow the covers to fit through)

I guess that’s a liberal interpretation of “drop right in.” Sorry. However it might be a fair bit less trouble than acquiring a pickguard with a Tele neck pickup-sized hole...?
Thanks! Those look sweet

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
The stock pickups are fairly hot and sound great for Nirvana, etc. I replaced the crappy pots and cut the nut properly and that’s all I needed to do to mine. I might put vintage style PAFs or gfs dream 90s eventually

I agree. Squiers are pretty solid guitars. Personally, I would keep everything but the pickguard and toggle switch. Swap that for a Switchcraft. I would even question nitro.

Teach him how to use a screwdriver and solder gun and let HIM make it HIS guitar.

TheFuzzDog

Tele-Meister
Hey gang, I picked up a used bullet mustang and I plan on turning it into a workable guitar for my kid.

I'm basically using it as a kit guitar so I've stripped the paint off to the sealer coat. The paint came off like a dream.

Anyway, it will end up as a competition orange pain scheme using nitro.

My biggest question is that I haven't decided on the pickup config yet. I don't want to spend too much, but I don't want to cheap out either. View attachment 992801

Personally, I'm a single coil fan, but he tends to like the whole nirvana/greenday stuff.

So I'm leading toward humbuckers.
If you’re not going to use Mustang pickups, then go P90. He will thank you.