OK! You electrical wizbang dudes!Topic involves solar & electric cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teleman1, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Holic

Might as well make a clockwork car and have done with it. :)

2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

mmmm, a clockwork Orange car, that'd be good...... outta my way I'm driving here...:twisted:

3. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

This seems to suggest that you would have to charge the vehicle during the day and drive it around at night. Or have batteries you can alternate...i.e. one is at the house charging while other is in the car driving around. Or have a battery that charges at day that is used to charge a different battery at night. Or other schemes.

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

It depends. Firstly, you don't discharge the battery fully, nor charge it 100%. A typical charge could be 35knh, you can plug the car in and set it to trickle charge so it doesn't use all the incoming power or charge overnight on offpeak. If the car is not used to commute it's possible to keep it topped off at home. This is all configurable via your smartphone.

Of course most people don't commute daily more than 10-20 miles so they would get a week or more out of a full charge. Plus if you do commute - many municipal parking lots and employers now have plugin points to top up while you're inside.

So it's not like you have to only plug in at home or you'll be stranded. Charging points are appearing all the time. A dump and pump for ten minutes at a supercharger can give you 100 miles.

5. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

not so, here in the UK today at any rate. Largest proportion of our 'leccy is coming from wind.

https://gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Capture.PNG

6. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Being less consumptive in general is going to be a key going forward. Two people living in a 3000 sq. ft. house loaded with stuff is not something which can be sustained across the population, no matter what power source keeps the fridge cool.

Ignatius and Obsessed like this.
  7. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

...and at significantly lower average speeds (at lower risk also).

Obsessed likes this.
  8. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

But it is what every American strives for. I am a competent Realtor, ie I always act in my clients best interest. People loves to be emotional and live beyond their means. Some want a shack in a great area. Others will live in a poorer school district, so they can have a big house. Then there's this>>>>>>>>>> Please turn it up and groove!>

9. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

SO just to be sure. You are all saying, there is no system practical for this scenario? Like, you can not have an array of collectors, say 20 by 10 feet in your yard. A converter, and storage batteries.And be able to fully charge your vehicle inside of? 4 hrs? All day? Here in Arizona? And how far down the road is this technology?

10. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    It is very doable

stevemc likes this.
  11. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I used to think that electric guitars were pointless, and they are if you consider line losses getting power from the plant out to your charging car and the slippage of energy conversion from burning coal/gas/debris into steam into electric generators .. into the car battery into the electric motors into the tires on the road. Electricity will go up dramatically when everyone has an electric vehicle.

However, if everyone has an electric vehicle there is pressure to get alternative sources of wind and solar in place. And then we are off the oil industry ball and chain.

I can envision when people are home shopping they will be surprised that a house doesn't have a solar/wind array already installed.

12. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Not every, but many. It can be hard to resist. We're under a constant assault from overt and implicit advertising that tells us that we need the latest clothes, gadgets, cars, TV, and lots of space to house all our stuff in. We need addictive things to consume, from sweet things to salty things to caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine. We also need lots of subscription services to fill our lives with distraction. Even the supposedly cerebral or cultural ones who live in little apartments in big cities (and don't drive) buy into consumerism in the need for heavy travel, or supposedly sophisticated food, coffee, wine, beer, and scotch connoisseur consumerism. And they Lyft and Uber to all of those beer flights and truffle fries. They need to.

And then there's, you know, gear for every hobby or side hustle in existence.

When so much of the culture boils down to shopping over doing, breaking a high-waste, high-consumption pattern is incredibly hard. I know people in rural areas who live simply (and save tons of cash). I know some more simple life-oriented people in cities, too, who can make a whole lot of personal joy with a library card and one guitar or keyboard they avidly play.

But there's not much money in that.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    Flaneur, teleman1 and Obsessed like this.
  13. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted

g-Paul likes this.
  14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

We are not saying that it is not doable regarding the cost, but just not very efficient. I applaud your desire to make this work, but the alternative technologies available today are not very efficient yet.

teleman1 likes this.
  15. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Afflicted

yep.we still use whale oil.

16. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Oh. I thought teleman1 was talking about self-contained home solar systems, not connected to grid, etc. I may have misunderstood.

17. Obsessed

It is great to see someone else with the big picture perspective. Absolutely, we need to add the BTUs of fossil fuel processing and transportation. Whether there is a fossil fuel fairy or not, we just need to stop using it, but how we get there is the issue. My point is that with existing inefficient alternative energy available, the reduction of energy use is the only solution at this point. Culturally, this is a much bigger challenge.

It is easy to just go out and buy a roof top array of voltaic solar panels to replace grid electricity, but at this point, it is not saving very much use of fossil fuels. You could do dramatically more by just unplugging the refridgerator. Of course, that ain't going to happen. I liken this to the failed recycling movement, that made everyone "feel good" about participation, but culturally it did not stop us from buying more packaged goods and the infrastructure of post product use is just another use of fossil fuel that we did not have before. This voltaic solar panel/electric car/nuclear energy movement is the same thing. A net sum game of close to zero. If we can change the culture from driving, flying, reproduction ... bingo, dramatic reductions in carbon footprint/fossil fuel use. Simple solutions, but culturally difficult to change. A conundrum that the world faces and not much different than Easter Island's demise ... just in a much larger scale.

18. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Well here is the overall chump on solar and energy consumption. MOST here in AZ get ripped off with solar. THe leases seem ridiculous and the utility company has their teeth in it. But here is where the lack of logic and common sense on our inculcated gotta buy society. You will ride by a home in say a c- community, 30-40 years old. You will see solar smothered on the roof, but, No dual Payne windows. Original A/C heat system. You dam well know they never beef up their insulation, etc. You know they were sold and never saw the incremental benefit of doing these energy improvements. Then, I think of renters, in 40 year old 300+ unit complexes. Old A/c & Old windows. Maybe tax credits should go heavy toward those type of improvements, lessening the grid load.

Stubee and Obsessed like this.
  19. Obsessed

Exactly. A great example of the most basic problem ... efficiency. My full size refridgerator/freezer is 3X more efficient than the most efficient ref/freezer that you can buy at your typical appliance store (it is very low production, so the purchase price is double though). So, there are some technologies that can make a dramatic difference.

20. screefer

screefer Tele-Meister

In 1820 the fastest a man could travel was on a horse.....you figure it out

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.