OK to Leave Soft Finish Tele on a Guitar Stand?

jsegovia

TDPRI Member
A few years ago I bought an '02 AVRI 52 Tele in excellent shape. When I got to the fellow's house I saw there were two spots on the butt of the guitar where the finish had been scraped or worn away, one on either side of the strap pin. After scratching my head for a few minutes I realized this must've happened when someone left the guitar on a guitar stand, and this must've worn through the soft nitro finish.

Is it OK to leave a guitar with a soft finish like this on a stand? Perhaps this guitar was left on a stand for months and months at a store and that's why that happened, but right now I'm leery of leaving my AVRI Tele on a stand at all. I leave it in the case even when setting it down for just a few minutes.

Thanks!

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
You can but you have to be careful, it's well known that many rubbers and foams can eat the finish.

some are supposed to be 'safe' but not all are, you can also wrap something like cotton over it to stop the reaction. Just do your research and be careful.

CoryB

TDPRI Member
I have two stands (everything normally hangs in my guitar room.) One stand has custom-made flannel sleeves that slide over the rubber where the guitar touches it. On the other, I keep a cotton washcloth draped over the neck and body supports.

I had one AVRI Strat that had marks on the neck from hanging in the store too long and didn't want any additional marks.

Since I have several Gibsons and other vintage lacquer finished guitars, I don't take any chances. Even the wall-mounted guitar hangers have felt over the rubber parts.

Trageser22

TDPRI Member
Yikes! I’ve never thought about this. I have wall hangers and 1 stand in the living room that I always set my guitars on. I need to rethink this practice!

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
I bought a K&M cork stand for my nitro guitars. So far so good.

1649205152612.png

Crobbins

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
The rubber on some guitar stands can react with the finish, (especially nitro), and leave marks, or burnt spots.

Minivan Megafun

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Not those stands with the surgical tube rubber on them no.

I even had a guitar cable with a fairly long amount of rubber shrink tubing on the ends start to melt the finish on a nitro guitar. When I'd wrap the cable behind the strap the rubber was making contact with the guitar body. It took me a bit to figure out why there was a soft melty spot on my guitar. I quit wrapping my cable back that way and the finish eventually hardened again.

Tenderfoot

Tele-Afflicted
I have used this stand since last July when I got my FCS Telecaster. There has been no issue with the nitro finish.

Attachments

• IMG_5269.JPEG
    IMG_5269.JPEG
    251.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5270.JPEG
    IMG_5270.JPEG
    293.3 KB · Views: 26

kbold

Friend of Leo's
Contact points can create shiny areas.
Black rubber can stain the finish black.

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
You have to be an idiot, or irresponsible, to use a cheap stand with unknown synthetics to hold your guitar. Buy a K&M stand. It's unbelievable to me to see the crap that gets sold as a "guitar stand" and even more unbelievable to see how players buy that junk because it's $5 cheaper. You can't always get away using junk. Sometimes, cheap means cheap.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I wrap an old tshirt over a cheap stand with nitro guitars......kind of a pain
This is the safe way to go. I had one stand with what looked like surgical tubing on the rests. Didn't think much about it. That stuff ate into my nitro'd Tele in a matter of a few days. I fixed the damage (PITA) and wrapped the rests with silk. Problem solved, lesson learned.

Gary in Boston

Friend of Leo's
Yeah I don't know why it happens with nitro finishes with some (not all) stands.

Even stands that look identical, ones' rubber bumpers reacts with the nitro finish and one doesn't.

I'm sure it's a chemical thing/out gassing of the rubber/vinyl/PVC ETC.

Gary

GeneB

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Cotton bicycle grip wraps around over the rubber works. But as others have noted Hercules hanging stands, while expensive at around $50 are a safe, worthwhile investment.

tomasz

Tele-Holic
As many have mentioned, a lot of guitar stands will leave a mark on nitro. Some people simply don't know this fact and trust, they are doing the right thing leaving a guitar on a stand.

What wonders me though, I would expect a black mark from the stand rather, than a rubbed off finish. Maybe the guy was trying to fix it and rub the dirty marks away