OK to have alnico 2 in both neck and bridge?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by thecrow, Mar 4, 2016.

1. thecrow

thecrow TDPRI Member

I am wondering if I can have an alnico 2 magnet p'up in the neck as well as the bridge? maybe as long as the bridge p'up is higher output?

2. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

You would want to have a higher inductance pickup in the bridge, but that's almost always true. What are you trying to get out of your instrument?

3. thecrow

thecrow TDPRI Member

I play mostly clean sounds. so if the inductance is higher in the bridge is it ok to have both the neck and the bridge alnico 2?

4. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Should not be a problem but consider how might want to cap 'em.

5. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

What are you looking for from clean sounds? Why Alnico 2?

6. thecrow

thecrow TDPRI Member

I already have an alnico 2 in the neck (SH-55) which I like a lot and don't want to change. the alnico 5 (STL-1B) that I had in the bridge had too biting of a treble response for me, so I wanted to add a Duncan that was a lil softer in that area. the only ones that matched that description just happened to be alnico 2's. I'm thinking the jerry Donahue lead now. the SH-55 measures 7.4k and the jerry Donahue lead measures 7.7k so I'm thinking/hoping it will work.

7. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Why would it be a problem?
    Typically you want more 'output' in the bridge because the tone becomes weaker and thinner, because of the pickup position, but I dont see how alnico 2 magnets would be any different.

Gibson likes this.
  8. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

What guitar are we speaking of? Most people want Alinco 5 for the neck for clear articulate tone on most guitars. Seymour Duncan are making hybrid pickups for Strat and Tele that have A5 mags for strings 6-5-4 and A2 mags for strings 3-2-1 on both neck and bridge pups. They sound very good. Look up Seymour Duncan Five Two on youtube.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

AFAIK, there is no issue. I put Alnico IIs in neck and bridge on the same guitar. The main quest for me was trying to find different ohm resistance that could work with each other. As mentioned, it is basically a quest for what you want to get tone wise and that takes some research and some luck.

10. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

My Gibson SG has stock 490R and 490T pickups that are pretty standard- both are Alnico 2.

11. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

I use an SD Donahue pickup in the bridge of my tele, paired with the SD alnico II in the neck but with the cover removed, works great for me.

12. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

I tried Stu-Mac Parson Street Alnico 2 in Neck and Alnico 5 in Bridge positions. I wished I had listened to the recommendations to put 2's in the bridge and 5's in neck. The 2's in neck position is too bright and the 5's in bridge is too mellow.

So what happens is I set my amp to mellow out the 2's and the 5's bridge is to mellow. So you set the 5's bridge to have more bite and then the 2 neck is too bright. Just put the 2's in bridge and 5 in neck and be happy. Platefire

13. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Have you considered Alnico 4 pickups ?

14. thecrow

thecrow TDPRI Member

it's a tele, it's the kind with a single coil in the bridge and a humbucker in the neck. since posting I heard a lot of people use the seth lover SH-55/jerry Donahue lead combo in a tele and say it sounds great.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  15. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've got a set of Duncan Antiquities in one of my Teles. Both neck and bridge are alnico 2.
    Sounds great, love em.

16. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

I built my first Tele with SD alnico II Pro pickups in both neck and bridge.
    I would choose them again in a heartbeat if I built another single coil Tele.
    My ears and brain Love them. Yours may not.

17. deadicated

deadicated Tele-Holic

Got a set of Alnico 2 Pro's in one of my T- type guitars and they sound great to me. SD makes some quality replacement pick ups and a good exchange policy. I seem to like A2's over A5's but everyone has different ears and tastes so others will have other opinions.

18. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

My favorite setup is A3 in the neck an A2 in the bridge. The A3 is a tad 'softer' lower output, and to my ear 'chimey' while the A2 has a touch more output, and slightly smoother highs in comparison. Still nothing wrong with A2 in the neck and bridge.

19. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think A5 vs A2 is all that definitive on the overall tone of a pickup. It's the overall
    design that really makes the tone. While A5 may tend to be a touch clearer and brighter,
    that's only with all other things being equal.

20. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

First rule of Telecaster.....There are no rules!

SD recommends the Alnico II with the SD Jerry Donohue. Jerry used an Alnico II Strat neck pickup.

What ever sounds good to you and works for you is the right choice.

Welcome to the world of experimenting with the Tele.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.