Ok, time to make a decision.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WetBandit, Jan 29, 2019.

1. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

2. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

thats the new plexi studio

24 track likes this.
  3. bftfender

stud2.jpg

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  4. WetBandit

5. bftfender

have befriended quite a few Marshall connoisseurs , with a few of em just coming in, tubes have been out and Mullards used in 1 case with results saying its a very usable amp..reports of 5 watts pretty nice but not overwhelming loud for home use, 20 watts should do it for gigs,,also its Marshall so vol up the better ..business as usual..

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    24 track likes this.
  6. WetBandit

But I was under the impression they aren't available yet?

I'm so jealous I could be spread on toast!!

7. bftfender

they started becoming available this week , right after NAMM, i almost got one but dont think i need one. I went the other way this year , 100 watters..not for any purpose, just 6100 & highly modded DSL100h pretty much hit my spot right on for my needs. Love the PTP jmp50 and use it in studio but live the DSL is just so easy and consistent on a 4x12..here is my gut shot plexiguts.jpg

WetBandit and 24 track like this.
  8. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

24 track likes this.
  9. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

Dude, this is GAS 1A. Picture the day the thing arrives. Which are you most excited to open? It’s like giving your wife a list of gear options to get you for Christmas. It’s dumb, because you know which one you wanna see, deep down, when you unwrap that beeyotch. That’s how you choose.

24 track likes this.
  10. WetBandit

24 track and Bluego1 like this.
  11. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

After reading your post and thinking about it, I don't know that limiting yourself to these two is the shortest path to your tonal goal. Seems like a Friedman Dirty Shirley or Small Box will get the gain you mentioned and have a more robust clean than the 800.

I sold my 64 AC30 and my 74 Marshall Artiste because they too could only be handled in small doses and lay dormant most of the time.

I got a Sampson era Hot Cat 30 and love it. Doesn't kill my ears, loud enough for MOST situations, and a really decent clean tone.

Best of luck!

WetBandit likes this.
  12. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

Done deal.

WetBandit likes this.
  13. WetBandit

Those friedmans are sweet, I really liked the BE-50 I played a while back...

But they are over twice the price of the Marshall... and I KNOW the 800 is the sound I like.

My reason for debating the Plexi vs the 800 is because I do not and have not owned a plexi... both due to cost and volume.

I own a early 80s 2203 100w... amazing amp just way too loud.

Alot of the sounds I like, I know have came from plexis also... but usually modded or hit with some external gain.

It's the debate in getting something either new or getting somehting I know I want and need.

CV Jee Beez likes this.
  14. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

800's rock.....

DSCF0029.JPG

WetBandit, RLee77 and bftfender like this.
  15. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Why not wait until you can try each out in a GC or other store? Or failing that, try to find some decent demos of each.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  16. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Nice. I’ve always wanted to get an iso cab, in my opinion it’s one of the most authentic ways to get the full dynamics of a cranked amp and driven speaker.
    I’m going to be setting up a real home music room soon, so I’ll finally have a good place for it.

24 track likes this.
  17. WetBandit

I've considered that honestly, and yes sometimes you have to walk in to hell to get the scoop, but I doubt they are gonna let me crank the plexi up in 20w mode....

I mean they should since they would be under the impression I'm a potential buyer.

24 track likes this.
  18. 24 track

just remember to port the back of the speaker section , so the speaker has room to breathe or you could blow out the coil from over heating ,I placed 2 tunable ports in the lower part of the cab that I can adjust , these bleed into the outer cabnet.

( I got this Idea from working with ZZtop , rev Billy used one off stage and fed a second output to 1 4X12 cab )
    look at the arrangement of the cabs only the bottom one is active :lol::lol::lol: I had a blast working this one, dusty had the same set up!

hqdefault.jpg

RLee77 likes this.
  19. WetBandit

Billy has always been my favorite player....

I need stories dude, produce the goods please.

I'm curious about his setup, not to try and mimmick (impossible) but to better understand his brand of filth...

And the one thing I really wanna know is how in the world they create those HUGE ground shaking bass blasts....

You know what I mean surely...

Nearly took my breath away.

I mean what exactly was moving all that air?

They only did it like 2 or 3 times total, just quick blasts of MEGA bass.

24 track likes this.
  20. 24 track

P1011632.JPG

both Dusty and Billy had Mirrored set ups, only one active cabs on each side, it looked cool with the 3 diagnal flying 4X12 cabs , Franks Drum set up was the most comlpex on stage , 2 drum platforms that were lifted on stage with a forklift set into place and locked with Frank's custom made Paiste Gong , the back of the gong was inscribed to Frank from Paiste other than the front end of house PA Billy and Dusty had Led covered Mic stands that had the grills off of a Mac truck , a really clean stage set up

the off stage guitar system Elwood was in charge of
    Elwood can explain it better than I can , this was the set he had at the show all guitars were wireless so no cables were on stage

Billy's string sizes are 7s (yow) and a heavey set is 8s Extra (yow) Elwood told me he could never play Billys guitar because the set up was so low for the action

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    WetBandit likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.