OK, this is either hideous or genius, your call... Verso Instruments

BigDWS62

TDPRI Member
Flimflam gimmick. This was posted in another thread a few months ago and I said it looks like a cheap IKEA chair folded over a baseball bat. Check out the videos. They also sound junky. Looks pretty uncomfortable. And you know that bat neck on that foldy body will neck dive like heck. That’s why people who have never played guitar should not design guitars. I like that color though.
I totally thought it was a guitar by IKEA. Maybe for somebody but it’s not for me

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I totally thought it was a guitar by IKEA. Maybe for somebody but it’s not for me
1651875081994.png
1651875127689.png

Blackie1956

Tele-Meister
I dig it and would love to try one. That said, it looks uncomfortable to have it on your lap. I am also concerned about the low E string making that hard right turn to the tuning machine. Ditto for the potentia for neck dive. Kudos to them for coming up with something authencially new (for a change). They should be commended, regardless of the aesthetic.

wrangle

TDPRI Member
There's definitely some thought put into this guitar design & I'd love to try one out at some point... but the main issue I have with it is that I don't see how it actually solves any problems I have with my conventional electrics.

The appearance is definitely striking, but as far as tone is concerned, it seems to have a nice—but typical—electric guitar sound. The neck & fretwork seems to be well executed (which I would expect at this price range), but again, constructed in a typical way for an electric. The most novel feature, I think, is the movable pickup, but I can't say I've ever wanted to actually move my pickup while I was playing (not even on my single pickup guitar). I mean, it *might* be a fun thing to play around with, but is that feature compelling enough to shell out almost $2000 for?

Sputnik03

TDPRI Member

View attachment 980300

I don't have words to express my immediate feelings about these guitars. I don't own one, so I really can't, but I mean every element gets a "WTH":
- Artsy-fartsy folded sheet metal body.
- Neck that looks like it was made by sawing a baseball bat in half. No, really, just LOOK at the thing.
- Neck attached by one screw. ONE.
- Those hemispherical fret ends though... *chef's kiss*.
- Flat pickups. Like REALLY flat.
- Aaaand the kill shot -- The pickup mounting. That's either genius or stupid, there is no middle ground. In my opinion, that is. I've used dead pickups as cool fridge magnets before, but...

Needless to say, I would never buy one for myself, but if someone were to be so generous, I wouldn't turn it down. I don't think I'd get around to playing it for a few days though; I'd spend hours turning it over and over in my hands, going "Look at this thing. Just LOOK at it. I mean, really, just.... what? WHAT? WAAAAAAAT? No freakin' way!"

What do you think?
Not with my money.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
Oh come on. If straight string pull mattered, there would be just one guitar I really loved that offered it. And there isn't.

It doesn't offer what 20th century rockers want, because it offers something else. I know I could come up with some new tricks with this that could not be done with other guitars. So are they all bad designs? No. It's a different tool.
There are several designs that offer straighter string angle at the nut. In fact, the majority of designs… You want wound strings leaving the nut slot at that angle, cool. It’s a legitimate concern. If it’s acceptable to you, fine. It isn’t good design or practice.

Unpossible

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
i like it!
Pretentious art/ design school hipster guitar? Yes.
Creative and innovative? Yes.
Satisfying to play as your only instrument? Would have to try it out in person.

stnmtthw

Friend of Leo's
It's clever, but not for me.

I'm not going to talk smack about it, though. I'm glad people are trying different things and different designs. I mean, look at how much crap Leo Fender got for the Telecaster, until everyone else started making their own solid bodies.

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
This is Teutonic asymmetrical guitarfare!!
- Dispatch the Teuffel Guitar Annihilation Brigade!! -

Cool design!
But not the €1,700... or €1,000 tho, or etc.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
There are several designs that offer straighter string angle at the nut. In fact, the majority of designs… You want wound strings leaving the nut slot at that angle, cool. It’s a legitimate concern. If it’s acceptable to you, fine. It isn’t good design or practice.

I'm sure paul reed smith would agree and say fenders and gibsons aren't good design because of this, but I'd rather play some of their models than a paul reed smith because they're more to my taste.

Taste is the only real issue here.
There's no such thing as a guitar race or a guitar fight to give us a champion. It's a tool for creating an entirely aesthetic thing, and that performance can't be measured.
You like it or you don't.

I think people who really like the rock-oriented electric guitar standards of today won't like this, because it's trying hard to not be that. It seems like people are complaining that an orange is a lousy tasting apple.

DugT

Tele-Afflicted
I'm sure paul reed smith would agree and say fenders and gibsons aren't good design because of this, but I'd rather play some of their models than a paul reed smith because they're more to my taste.

Taste is the only real issue here.
There's no such thing as a guitar race or a guitar fight to give us a champion. It's a tool for creating an entirely aesthetic thing, and that performance can't be measured.
You like it or you don't.

I think people who really like the rock-oriented electric guitar standards of today won't like this, because it's trying hard to not be that. It seems like people are complaining that an orange is a lousy tasting apple.
There are good designs and bad designs. For me, a high priority for tools is that they work great. A low priority is that they look different. Another high priority is that they don't look like an obvious bad idea. For example, I wouldn't want a good guitarist to think I was stupid for buying a guitar that has an obvious design flaw.

It looks to me like this guitar was designed more to look different than to be better. A lot of its differences would be hard to evaluate without trying it. One aspect of it that I can evaluate without trying it is it will have more nut friction because of the string angle. That would be a pain in the ass everyday.

I'm a tone wood denier so it would be fun to make that point with this guitar but it would not be worth suffering the nut friction. Those who strive to look open minded might prefer this guitar but would you sacrifice looking smart to look open minded? If the headstock was designed properly, you would have a better shot at looking smart and open minded.

Maybe I am a nut friction extremist. In general, tuning ease is important to me and an example of that is I love https://graphtech.com/collections/ratio-machine-heads-electric Ratio Machine Heads

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
I wouldn't want a good guitarist to think I was stupid for buying a guitar that has an obvious design flaw.
Wait, uh... no. Never mind.

I'm a tone wood denier so it would be fun to make that point with this guitar
So fun. Youtube is holding it's breath.

but would you sacrifice looking smart to look open minded?
If I play my guitar and people are trying to calculate my IQ from my string angle, I have utterly failed at playing my guitar.
And also, what kind of wack audience is this?

Ed Driscoll

Friend of Leo's

View attachment 980300

I don't have words to express my immediate feelings about these guitars. I don't own one, so I really can't, but I mean every element gets a "WTH":
- Artsy-fartsy folded sheet metal body.
- Neck that looks like it was made by sawing a baseball bat in half. No, really, just LOOK at the thing.
- Neck attached by one screw. ONE.
- Those hemispherical fret ends though... *chef's kiss*.
- Flat pickups. Like REALLY flat.
- Aaaand the kill shot -- The pickup mounting. That's either genius or stupid, there is no middle ground. In my opinion, that is. I've used dead pickups as cool fridge magnets before, but...

Needless to say, I would never buy one for myself, but if someone were to be so generous, I wouldn't turn it down. I don't think I'd get around to playing it for a few days though; I'd spend hours turning it over and over in my hands, going "Look at this thing. Just LOOK at it. I mean, really, just.... what? WHAT? WAAAAAAAT? No freakin' way!"

What do you think?
Questions I’ve never asked myself: What would an Oskar Schlemmer painting look like as a guitar?

1651959146278.jpeg

1651959172021.jpeg

1651959112245.jpeg

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
Parting thoughts:

The location of the volume and tone controls, the inaccessibility to higher frets, and the thin-ish metal edges that will dig into your thigh when playing seated all tell me this designer did not get input from guitarists before going to final production.

It's an interesting design experiment, it looks kind of cool in a futuristic way, but I doubt it gets much traction in the marketplace.