OK, this is either hideous or genius, your call... Verso Instruments

maxvintage

Poster Extraordinaire
The verso guitar is made entirely in Germany.

When the tele came out people called it ugly and compared it to a canoe paddle. It had a lot of features designed to simplify and enable mass production. He used non traditional wood, and brass rod stock for saddles. It was a radical new idea, now it's a symbol of conservatism.

I like that he's rethinking aspects of guitar design--like leo--to enable simpler production.

The sliding pickup idea has been tried before, but he's managed to get a really wide range of movement including angles. It wold be light and I'm thinking really durable. The tilt-back headstock is at a moderate angle

Last edited:

Terrygh1949

Tele-Meister

View attachment 980300

I don't have words to express my immediate feelings about these guitars. I don't own one, so I really can't, but I mean every element gets a "WTH":
- Artsy-fartsy folded sheet metal body.
- Neck that looks like it was made by sawing a baseball bat in half. No, really, just LOOK at the thing.
- Neck attached by one screw. ONE.
- Those hemispherical fret ends though... *chef's kiss*.
- Flat pickups. Like REALLY flat.
- Aaaand the kill shot -- The pickup mounting. That's either genius or stupid, there is no middle ground. In my opinion, that is. I've used dead pickups as cool fridge magnets before, but...

Needless to say, I would never buy one for myself, but if someone were to be so generous, I wouldn't turn it down. I don't think I'd get around to playing it for a few days though; I'd spend hours turning it over and over in my hands, going "Look at this thing. Just LOOK at it. I mean, really, just.... what? WHAT? WAAAAAAAT? No freakin' way!"

What do you think?
👎

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
The verso guitar is made entirely in Germany.

When the tele came out people called it ugly and compared it to a canoe paddle. It had a lot of features designed to simplify and enable mass production. He used non traditional wood, and brass rod stock for saddles. It was a radical new idea, now it's a symbol of conservatism.

I like that he's rethinking aspects of guitar design--like leo--to enable simpler production.

The sliding pickup idea has been tried before, but he's managed to get a really wide range of movement including angles. It wold be light and I'm thinking really durable. The tilt-back headstock is at a moderate angle

It's obvious from the responses that some people reacted to the look without learning anything about it. I also thought of the telecaster, and how much tdpri'ers resemble the people who hated it.

I like it, but:

1. It can't be modified,

Umm, why not?

timobkg

TDPRI Member
I like the innovation in terms of construction, I don't like the visual appearance at all.

What stood out to me immediate, but I didn't notice anyone else mention, is the location of the pickup selector switch and pots.

icBwNck.jpg

The pickup selector switch is underneath, on the back, sandwiched in between the pickup cables and the guitar cable?
One pot is underneath the guitar on the bottom, the other is up above the 16th fret?

For a guitar touting its ergonomics, those look like the least ergonomic locations for the pots and pickup switch I've ever seen.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity

View attachment 980300

I don't have words to express my immediate feelings about these guitars. I don't own one, so I really can't, but I mean every element gets a "WTH":
- Neck that looks like it was made by sawing a baseball bat in half. No, really, just LOOK at the thing.
- Aaaand the kill shot -- The pickup mounting. That's either genius or stupid, there is no middle ground. In my opinion, that is. I've used dead pickups as cool fridge magnets before, but...

Needless to say, I would never buy one for myself, but if someone were to be so generous, I wouldn't turn it down. I don't think I'd get around to playing it for a few days though; I'd spend hours turning it over and over in my hands, going "Look at this thing. Just LOOK at it. I mean, really, just.... what? WHAT? WAAAAAAAT? No freakin' way!"

What do you think?
TONE for Days!!!
Do they offer it with a Cut-away for better upper fret access?

Dostradamas

Tele-Afflicted
Why can't it be hideous and genius?

Not my cup of tea but I can see a market.

I will wager based on where they are designed and made they are of the best quality components and construction.

I would love to play one.

I would never drop the cash required to own one.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's

View attachment 980300

What do you think?
Weird, wild, wacky stuff!

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
Why can't it be hideous and genius?

Not my cup of tea but I can see a market.

I will wager based on where they are designed and made they are of the best quality components and construction.

I would love to play one.

I would never drop the cash required to own one.
It could be, but form doesn’t follow function, so it isn’t genius.
We all know that straighter string-pull at the nut is a basic design parameter. This design pays homage to a Silvertone amp-in-case guitar whose main utility is not having to carry a separate amplifier.
The lack of lower bout cutaway (traded for some kind of slot access to the upper frets) means likely compromising ergonomics or hitting your wrist on the lower bout. It’s a no. It fails to meet basic parameters established in the 20th century.

Dostradamas

Tele-Afflicted
We all know that straighter string-pull at the nut is a basic design parameter. This design pays homage to a Silvertone amp-in-case guitar whose main utility is not having to carry a separate amplifier.
The lack of lower bout cutaway (traded for some kind of slot access to the upper frets) means likely compromising ergonomics or hitting your wrist on the lower bout. It’s a no. It fails to meet basic parameters established in the 20th century.
Your definition of function may be different from others.

Genius is often misunderstood

"Who says you need to buy a guitar?"

Last edited:

studio

Poster Extraordinaire
I once ate a hotdog weiner
wrapped inside a giant flour tortilla. I ask the same question now.
Can I trade it for a hamburger?

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire

Oh come on. If straight string pull mattered, there would be just one guitar I really loved that offered it. And there isn't.

It doesn't offer what 20th century rockers want, because it offers something else. I know I could come up with some new tricks with this that could not be done with other guitars. So are they all bad designs? No. It's a different tool.

Old Verle Miller

Tele-Meister
Other than not being able to play much using the upper frets, it's intriguing.

As has been mentioned, the extreme angles for the lower strings to the tuners is questionable but my other question is are any session or touring pros using them? They've been available for over a year.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Well, the neck and pickup(s) are unique, with no aftermarket versions. I don't own a tool that can cut steel. I guess I could break out the Rustoleum and paint it, but that's no fun.

You don't own a drill? Steel is one of the easist materials to modify on planet earth. If you just want doodads to buy that are made to fit your guitar, I would call that accesorizing, not real modification. If you just want guitar legos, I get it, but there's no reason to leave fender world.