Ok... this guitar just rubs me the wrong way.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I have MUCH more respect for the guy who comes on stage with a Squier Strat or God forbid a Telecaster, plugs into whatever amp is available, adjusts the knobs a bit, and then BLOWS ME AWAY with his tasteful technique.

IMHO sporting a "signature" guitar is a sign of acute wankerdom. The whole point of a guitar is to be a personal expression, no? I felt the same way about blue jeans back in the day with "some Frenchman's name" embroidered on 'em (thanks Chris LeDoux). So unless your name is Wrangler, Levi, or Lee, you need to cowboy up and realize THEY'RE JUST PANTS.

Jazzcaster21

Tele-Holic
It's the Jimi Hendrix signature model Strat.

fender_strat-hendrix-black.jpg

*sigh*
At the risk of stating the obvious... WTH were they thinking?!
Let's see here...

A righty guitar, so far so good, everyone knows Jimi played a righty flipped over.
Here's where they failed:

- Righty body made for a righty(i.e strap peg on the longer horn)
- Headstock flipped because Hendrix but as stated above, body not flipped.
- Fender logo still the right way on a flipped headstock.

Aaargh! This thing is kill-it-with-fire territory and I don't mean Monterey -style!

If(and that's a big 'if') this thing needed to exist, here's how to accomplish it:

For righties:
Take a lefty guitar, move front strap peg to shorter horn, string the thing for rightie.

For lefties:
Take a righty guitar, move front strap peg to shorter horn, string the thing for leftie.

Done.
I'll go look for some clouds to yell at now.
It's dumb and another way for the Hendrix family to continue and cash in on Jimi's legacy.

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
That thing is just weird. It does have the reverse slant on the bridge pickup, and the reverse headstock so string length beyond the nut matches. But the controls are not upside down etc. Why don't they just sell a left handed strat with an optional nut cut the other way?

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
I have MUCH more respect for the guy who comes on stage with a Squier Strat or God forbid a Telecaster, plugs into whatever amp is available, adjusts the knobs a bit, and then BLOWS ME AWAY with his tasteful technique.

IMHO sporting a "signature" guitar is a sign of acute wankerdom. The whole point of a guitar is to be a personal expression, no? I felt the same way about blue jeans back in the day with "some Frenchman's name" embroidered on 'em (thanks Chris LeDoux). So unless your name is Wrangler, Levi, or Lee, you need to cowboy up and realize THEY'RE JUST PANTS.

Les Pauls need to get some kind of a pass on this point as they're so perennial and ubiquitous.
Although, signature Les Pauls takes the tomfoolery to a new level.

Buzzgrowl

Tele-Holic
Sorry to dissagree. I almost bought one but the one I tried had no "vibe". Was it the setup, old strings or the tonewoods? Maybe the trussrod wasn't tight. Or the cardboard shim ate the tonez.

But as a concept, it is cool, imo. I understand the "Fender culture" as one friendly towards diy, hot rodding and customization. Unlike what I perceive to be the "Gibson culture" where authenticity is the key quality. For Fender-style, some ott kitschie is ok too (just no antigua bursts pls, but MOTS guards are ok). Its not serious luthieriness, and it can be a bit cheeky (pinup stickers anyone?).

So I support that diy mindframe. And everyone should feel free to buy or make there own "Jimi" strat. Or any other. The best musicians, and so many mediocre ones too, are all big fans so little fan fetish is perfectly ok.

I hope to finish mine by spring. Will share for your horror or pleasure. It's all good! 😁

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I don’t give too much of a squit one way or another about the flipped headstock, or the authentic Jimi-ness of the design, but to me the reverse slant on the bridge pickup is the relevant difference here.

In my limited experience and exposure to them, I have much preferred reverse-slant bridge single coils and feel strongly that—for my tastes and playing approach at least—the standard slant direction is one example of Leo getting it wrong.

I don’t mind the reoriented logo given that the headstock is reversed.

If there was going to be a Mexicanyella-signature Strat, it would be that guitar with either headstock, but a hardtail. Call me, Fender.

Nubs

Friend of Leo's
Yeah I said it before & I'll say it again. A reverse headstock does not constitute a "Hendrix" guitar.

Just play your wacky right handed guitars.

kennl

Tele-Afflicted
I have a partscaster with a right-handed Strat neck and lefty body - I dislike reverse headstocks
I prefer the strap button position and body contours that resemble a Tele
the bridge pickup is a bit more usable and the whammy arm on the bass side works for me

willietheweirdo

Tele-Meister
Reverse headstocks whammy different, right?

Maybe this is supposed to be a studio tool that's meant to sound like a lefty axe with no regard for looks. So who are we to judge a form-follows-function instrument on its form? ;)

Just kidding it's awful burn it

Ben Harmless

Poster Extraordinaire
Ooooooh. You wanted a Jimi Hendrix guitar. That's the misunderstanding. This is the double Jimi guitar, where they turn it upside down, and then put it through their portal to the "parallel universe" that they apparently keep in the factory, and then they pull it back through and flip it over again. It's a Jimillel Hedriverse signature Stratocastrix.

I hope this clears it up for you.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
The body is right handed so it won't have fierce neck dive and so it will sit correctly from a strap.
The logo is horizontal to view because throughout the history of the company, since Leo F cut his first decal for his first prototype the ONLY valuable asset he ever owned is the brand. (that's true with any business) and any marketing exec worth their wage knows that putting their logo on "wrong" is how you get fired.
It's not actually Jimi Hendrix's old guitar and they're not trying to convince you of that. They're just pushing a reverse headstock Strat with period tuned features.
What's wrong with that?
If you've never played a lefty strung righty I'll spare you the time, it sucks. I wouldn't pay extra for a Strat that sucked to play. Why would anybody. Fender did this right.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
Sorry to dissagree. [...] And everyone should feel free to buy or make there own "Jimi" strat.

Well, forums exist to air different opinions, right?
At least you didn't question my intelligence like some other esteemed forum members did. 😇

... and as I will lay zero claims to any one of these signature abominations it's not robbing me of anything
if somebody buys one of these. And the DIY thing.. all good.. I could even see myself doing a flip-lefty
if I ever found a lefty Strat in need of attention but with current Fender/Squier prices I don't see that
happening anytime soon.