Ok... this guitar just rubs me the wrong way.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
It's the Jimi Hendrix signature model Strat.

fender_strat-hendrix-black.jpg

*sigh*
At the risk of stating the obvious... WTH were they thinking?!
Let's see here...

A righty guitar, so far so good, everyone knows Jimi played a righty flipped over.
Here's where they failed:

- Righty body made for a righty(i.e strap peg on the longer horn)
- Headstock flipped because Hendrix but as stated above, body not flipped.
- Fender logo still the right way on a flipped headstock.

Aaargh! This thing is kill-it-with-fire territory and I don't mean Monterey -style!

If(and that's a big 'if') this thing needed to exist, here's how to accomplish it:

For righties:
Take a lefty guitar, move front strap peg to shorter horn, string the thing for rightie.

For lefties:
Take a righty guitar, move front strap peg to shorter horn, string the thing for leftie.

Done.
I'll go look for some clouds to yell at now.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I was just looking at a '13 pic file and this was on there..

A guitar my amp tech put together with a US neck I gave him, I had to find a blank pg for him to change the bridge pu angle... he found some real low wind 15 buck asian pu's and set them low on the guard...tweaked the wiring with a n/b switch and the guitar sounded glorious, I bet he still plays it...

BlackStratbuild 001.jpg

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
If it were something that somebody did on their workbench/in their garage, I’d probably think it was kinda inane/maybe kinda cool, but it wouldn’t bother me…to each his own, and a lot of people probably think the modifications I’ve done to my guitars are stupid.

The fact that it was (is?) a Fender production model is just plain weird…however, I understand it from a marketing perspective…the quirks of the instruments played by one of the most famous, studied, copied and revered guitarists in the last 60 years are gonna be exploited in some fashion…

It will get you no closer to sounding like Hendrix than will wearing a fringed white leather jacket or driving a Corvette (both of which are things he did on occasion).

At least it’s better than Henry J’s attempt in the early 2010’s.

On a related note, I like the look of reverse headstocks, but I’ve never owned one, so I don’t know how good they are in practice.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
eh, i think the way they did it with the flipped headstock and bridge pickup will get you most of the way and was the best compromise. they should have maybe tried flipping the trem SRV style though.

but if they had done a lefty (for righties) then it should have been with no contours in the usual place (so it doesn't slip around when you play it sitting), and maybe a slight contour behind the control cavity side (as much as you can get away with, something like an SG or rick edge contour, since you need room for the actual controls). it would have required more work than what they ultimately did.

Last edited:

Double Stop

Tele-Holic

*sigh*
Let's see here...

A righty guitar, so far so good, everyone knows Jimi played a righty flipped over.

Aaargh! This thing is kill-it-with-fire territory and I don't mean Monterey -style!

If(and that's a big 'if') this thing needed to exist, here's how to accomplish it:

For righties:
Take a lefty guitar, move front strap peg to shorter horn, string the thing for rightie.

For lefties:
Take a righty guitar, move front strap peg to shorter horn, string the thing for leftie.

Done.

If taking a standard "Righty" guitar and flipping it if you're a "Lefty", wouldn't you also need a new nut since the low E would now be in the High E nut slot and so on and so forth leading up to the higher strings?

pippoman

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter

*sigh*
Let's see here...

For righties:

For lefties:

Done.
Yeah, that thing just screams “hey look at me - now I’m Jimi!” Seriously? I had the same feeling about tre SRV Strat. You’ve gotta have some big lug nuts to walk on stage with one of those. Apparently the marketing plan worked to an extent, but I certainly wasn’t gassing for either.

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Yeah, that thing just screams “hey look at me - now I’m Jimi!” Seriously? I had the same feeling about tre SRV Strat. You’ve gotta have some big lug nuts to walk on stage with one of those. Apparently the marketing plan worked to an extent, but I certainly wasn’t gassing for either.

Sticking your initials on your guitar with mailbox letters is bad enough; buying a guitar with someone else's initials engraved into the pickguard is even worse.