1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

OK Tele People, WTF do I do - 1st Tele Purchase?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Scrappy, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Well .. after playing heavy gauge strings on Gibsons the last ten year I recently went back to the fender family again. This time I bought a Tele. It's nice to have the sound of my youth back in my hands, been playing knopfler, andy summers and gilmore riff non-stop since.

But I find both the Tele .. and in the old days .. the strat to have no output and in many ways not to cut it. The strat of my youth I modded with a humbucker .. but this time around, I've just added a clean boost (nice and neutral) between the guitar and the amp. Works like a charm, no issues to be had. I keep it on all the time btw, just a slight boost.

If your strat keeps on annoying you, try it out.

2. JCat

JCat TDPRI Member

Congrats on the Baja! Those are great Teles. My brother has had one for several years and will never let it go. Don't feel bad at all about buying a Mexican Tele - I took the Fender tour in Corona, Ca about a year ago and was surprised to learn that they ship many of the necks they build in Calif to their Ensenada plant. I also saw a whole lot of hardware still in boxes that were from overseas - so, buying American isn't always what you think you are getting. I also have to add that my MIM Blacktop HH (ash) FSR is my favorite guitar. I have another Tele thinline and an Epiphone ES339, I also had an Ovation acoustic for over 35 years, but I am definitley a hard core Tele fanatic!
    Enjoy that Baja...and keep on Twangin'.

3. Scrappy

Scrappy TDPRI Member

Thought I'd give a quick wrap up - not sure if people read through these dead threads, but hey, here goes.

Honeymoon stage is not over, but I think I've had this guitar long enough to say something intelligent about it. First, love it. I think it represents the best in Telecaster value - value defined as what you get for what you pay. Love the 4-way switching +S1 options this guitar gives you. Every position is usable, though I love the all the way forward (both pickups in Series) sound - ballsy, very alive, very fat, thick sound. The neck pickup is the best Tele neck pickup I've ever personally played (I have very little Tele experience). In certain circumstances the "out of phase" S1 positions can be cool. Bridge pickup alone is also a wonderful sounding pickup.

I love the "soft V" neck shape. Not everyone will. The guitar I play the most is a fifties acoustic with a real big neck. I think that's why at first I thought the neck actually felt a little cramped. Plus, the Baja was the first guitar I picked up. As I look back on it, that comment was puzzling. Neck is the shape and size I really dig - just smaller than vintage but still meaty.

I did find it loud at first but the more I monkey with it, the more I think maybe I just had a bad lighting and amp combo or something. Through my tube amps in alternate locations in my house, I am not bothered by the hum. I do have other single coil guitars and had never had the type of behavior this guitar exhibited but the more I play it in other locations with other power situations the less it's an issue, and when I took it in to demo it in the store again with a tech, of course the problem was not there. I'm satisfied I did not get a guitar with a bum wiring job or anything.

I am considering very seriously getting a custom celluloid, tortoise shell, single ply guard put on and will examine if I can do some shielding at that time. Will comb this site more comprehensively (and elsewhere) to learn about how to do this. I happen to really dig the Dessert Sand color of the body and like that it's less ubiquitous than the Blonde ones and I like that it's not black (which I find boring). I like the 2 tone sunburst one, but I have a 3 tone sunburst Strat and other wood-toned guitars, so I like having this lotsa-cream-in-the-coffee color. I think a tortoise guard will be gorgeous on this guitar.

I'm not in love with the tuners and maybe one day would replace them. Sometimes they are tough for me to get real precise or the strings are perhaps hanging up in the bridge and then catching up... In any case, I'm not normally one to complain about my tuning machines but I've noticed that these are not as effective as ones on other guitars I own.

I do have a tad bit of fret buzz on the G string. I notice it when I play it not plugged in and I do tune down a half step. I may throw on some thicker strings and see if that takes care of it. If that does not, I may get a new nut - perhaps a graphite one (though I kinda want a brass one if only because Waylon had one - ridiculous reason but hey...). I like the action on this guitar as it was set up - nice and low.

I do not have intonation problems with the old-style brass "T" bridge. If I do, I would have no reservations to (do what Waylon did and) install a modern bridge with six saddles. I like the density and heft and tonal characteristics of brass, so I'd try to go brass saddles I think, but that's neither here nor there.

While I can't help but think that one day I'd love to get myself a CS Tele with a Bigsby and also a B-Bender that I will struggle mightily to learn how to play, I must say that I'm very happy and satisfied with this guitar. While I'm thinking I may wish to fine tune the setup job and change the pick guard (maybe), I like this guitar very much as it is and I think it makes a very strong case for itself in the marketplace. As a player guitar it's a real winner and I don't plan on trading it nor do I think I would if I got another Telecaster.

4. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

5. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Congrats on the Baja .. I was kinda guessing that you're not a single coil person, but seems I'm wrong.

It's a good guitar, only barrier for some (ie. me) is the neck ... :)

Play the hell out of it

Btw .. are you still keeping the strat ?

6. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Sounds good, id mess with the saddles, and truss rod before i worried about a nut, though I totally get it if you just feel like getting one.

BTW-one day I too will get a nocaster, but when I do, my Baja is getting a bigsby-talk about a do it all tele!

btw-did you try the hidden 7th tone? Its actually the brightest tone on the Baja.

7. Scrappy

Scrappy TDPRI Member

Hidden 7th Tone? Is this Bridge only with S1 on or something??? Do tell, please.

I am keeping the Strat and look forward to turning it into a hot rod one of these days. When I do, I will ask the TDPRI folks all manner of inquiry (Are Fralin / Lollar pickups worth the premium? Do the single-coil size humbuckers work well? More / different vibrato springs? Caps and pots...) When I do get the Strat made into the Strat it ought to be I am going to explore the options out there for series wiring of pickups. This Baja has seriously opened my eyes to this concept. I can't get over how great that fourth-position - both pickups in series - sounds. So alive and powerful. I almost wonder why all Teles don't come so wired. Very eye and ear opening - very, very fun sound to use.

Yeah, I could see Bigsby-fying this thing. I understand folks who would do that mod.

What a fun, high-value guitar.

I appreciate the comments and advice from everyone and appreciate all who dug this thread.

8. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Agreed, its a great guitar, a great mod platform, series wiring should be standard, and Id like to see the Baja's wiring in other teles as well.

The 7th tone is the brightest-depress the s1 switch and place the switch between positions 2 and 3, where position one is bridge only.

9. slippin slider

slippin slider Tele-Afflicted

Keep the strat, change the p.u.s, maybe one at a time and see what happens.Both seymour duncan and dimarzio have return policies that allow for the customer to error choosing the right pick up for their needs.
    What is your strat made of? Balsa wood and styrafoam?
    I 've taken some really pooh guitars changed the tuner and pick ups and before I
    could say hound dog taylor , it was on.

10. Ike286

Ike286 Tele-Holic

11. JCat

JCat TDPRI Member

That is a gorgeous Tele!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.